cooling at the track?

WHITEMACH

Established Member
just wondering when you guys go to the track, does your cars run quicker completely warm? or do you let them cool down alot? which way produced faster times for you?

CharlieR

Established Member
I will usually let it cool, then run it to normal operational temp in staging. This way most runs are close in temp(oil, water ect) regardless of ambient temp or amount of time between runs. Hot lapping has happened and didn't seem to affect it.

Dtony

Established Member
My best times have come from hot lapping the car, I shit you not.

Same here!! I ran a fast car shootout recently and kept cooling the car for time runs for the ladder. Once elimination began I had to hotlap and it got faster every run. After leaning this I only ice the intake for 20 minutes and run it.

whatwhine

Established Member
I hot lap usually. I'll let it cool for a few minutes between each pass. Some nights it cools for a long time waiting for our class to come up. I'll pop the hood while I wait.

casper gt

Established Member
my car is faster hot as well, the cooler I try to run it, the slower it gets.

I would be cautious about getting it hot with cats (& a catted tune due to the "cat protection") though, when the cat protection is active it can cost you a tenth or 2

r2kool4u

Blah Blah
Established Member
I remember when the 5.7 hemi first came out and a mag did a thermostat test. The 160 degree made like 10 less hp and ran like. 2-.3 slower. The car (I beloved a charger) ran faster when hot lapping on the stock thermo.

Stupidity brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread