Cooling Fan Issues!

BlkSnk

Established Member
Just bolted everything up on my 97' Cobra and went to take the car for a test spin when I notice the car began to overheat. I pull over pop the hood and start looking for the obvious. I immediately notice that the fan is not running.

Here's a little background. Earlier in the season I removed the A/C including all the lines that go with it. I've read and learned that the fan is controlled by the CCRM and the PCM which also controls some aspects of the A/C. When I removed these A/C lines there was a pressure controlled sensor with wiring that lead to the fan. I also recently replaced the coolant in the car. I followed the normal and proper technique for refilling. Before I did all this work to my car the fan always worked. It's been approx. three months since the car has been started which would lead us to now. None of the work was "electrical" related except for the wiring of a neutral safety switch on my shifter.

Here's whats going thru my head:
1. Removing the A/C lines along with that "pressure" sensor (located on the passenger side of the vehicle near the radiator) is somehow stopping the fan from activation.
2. Maybe there's a possibility the coolant system needs to be burped. The fan will only operate if it senses coolant circulating regardless of temperature. (I'm thinking this because my coolant resevoir thats attached to the rear of the radiator, under normal op temp doesn't move above or below the fill line)
3. I somehow blew a fuse?
4. My thermostat is stuck? Which wouldn't make sense since it operated fine up until the last time I drove the car.
5. And lastly, everything I'm thinking is wrong and I'm just an idiot.....

Does anyone have any thoughts or reasons as to why my fan doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
2. Maybe there's a possibility the coolant system needs to be burped. The fan will only operate if it senses coolant circulating regardless of temperature. (I'm thinking this because my coolant resevoir thats attached to the rear of the radiator, under normal op temp doesn't move above or below the fill line).

I didn't know that. That might explain my over heating issue. I would try that and see if it helps. Because if you didnt mess with the electrical, its unlikely thats the problem.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
First thing I could check is the plug going into the actual fan, remove it, clean the contacts and put it back in. Most of the time if the fan is not turning on its the CCRM (have one for sale in the market) or the sensor on the passenger side of the coolant crossover.

Id try the connection, then the sensor, then replace the CCRM or inspect it for damage (located in the passenger front fender).

Users who are viewing this thread