cooling the 4.6

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
I have a pretty much stock 04 Cobra with Intake and Exhaust. I live in Atlanta and this thing run hot and sometimes gets hot enough that it spews coolant out of the Canton overflow tank I installed a while back. I need some advice on what to do to get the engine cooler. Some ideas I had - remove the engine blanket, changing the thermostat. I set the cluster to output the temp and it was reading between 100 - 104 C the whole time on the way to work and I don't think that it should be that high or am I wrong here?

Thanks!!
P&V:shrug:

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
should'nt be running hot. Did it run hot before you installed the Canton tank? When you installed it did you go through the burping procedure?

racebronco2

Established Member
piss&vinegar said:
I have a pretty much stock 04 Cobra with Intake and Exhaust. I live in Atlanta and this thing run hot and sometimes gets hot enough that it spews coolant out of the Canton overflow tank I installed a while back. I need some advice on what to do to get the engine cooler. Some ideas I had - remove the engine blanket, changing the thermostat. I set the cluster to output the temp and it was reading between 100 - 104 C the whole time on the way to work and I don't think that it should be that high or am I wrong here?

Thanks!!
P&V:shrug:
Your car is not running hot. Your engine temp is only running 212 to 219. When i added the lfp radiator it overflowed a few times. I lowered the water level a little and it hasn't overflowed since. With more water capacity the amount that the water expands is more then stock. If you lower the water a little you car shouldn't overflow anymore. 115c is 240*, if it gets this high then you need to worry about cooling mods

04CobraMatt

Established Member
The fans come on pretty late in the stock tune, If you dont already have a custom tune, get one and get some more power while you helping fix your problem Duke Nukem ;)

spincobra03

Established Member
even on a 90 plus degree day your car should not run hot for the most part. Like 03dsg stated I think you may still air bound. You should try to bleed it more also removing the blanket will help. I dont think it will nesscicarily cool your engine but depending on your intake setup it will keep the air being sucked into the supercharger a bit cooler.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Thanks guys!! I will try bleeding it some more tomorrow. This car is awesome but the cooling system is starting to piss me off!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I assume you have proper antifreeze/water ratio to keep your boiling point high enough....

piss&vinegar said:
I live in Atlanta and this thing run hot and sometimes gets hot enough that it spews coolant out of the Canton overflow tank I installed a while back.

I take it you're implying that some coolant comes out the bung just below the cap on the Canton? Run this car hard enough and you are going to get excess coolant coming out of there because of the expansion. I personally haven't had anymore coolant come out the bung since it finally reached the right level in the tank. FWIW, you should hook up a vacuum line to that bung and let it hang done so you don't get coolant shooting all over your engine bay.

spincobra03

Established Member
there is a way to jump out the coolant pump with the car turned off, so you can fully bleed all the air out. Maybe someone car post a pic unfortunetly I cant, but it is very simple and takes 2 mins.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
I have a line to take the excess coolant down away from the engine bay. I also checked the boiling point and it was 262 according to the guage I have. I reburped it today so hopefully this will be the last I will see coolant underneath the car.

Users who are viewing this thread