Cooling things down...

mj8

Established Member
I need some cooling mods pretty bad but at the time I only going to be able to do one. Out of the possibilities below which one would do the best job?

Aftermarket HE (LFP, Extreme, Gords) with stock IC tank

or

Aftermarket IC Tank (not sure who's is superior) with stock HE

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
For starters an HE and HE coolant tank are NOT cooling mods. They will reduce temps of the inlet air which means that more fuel is added and moore HP is created. More HP means your will generate MORE HEAT, not less.

Cooling inlet air temps and keeping the engine cool are two totally different things.

Fang

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
For starters an HE and HE coolant tank are NOT cooling mods. They will reduce temps of the inlet air which means that more fuel is added and moore HP is created. More HP means your will generate MORE HEAT, not less.

Cooling inlet air temps and keeping the engine cool are two totally different things.

Ditto on the above. The cooling mods actually are a little more involved than you stated. Start with a larger radiator and go from there.

vipergts281

Established Member
mj8 said:
I need some cooling mods pretty bad but at the time I only going to be able to do one. Out of the possibilities below which one would do the best job?

Aftermarket HE (LFP, Extreme, Gords) with stock IC tank

or

Aftermarket IC Tank (not sure who's is superior) with stock HE
Off topic....

Do you have a BAP and/or Maf Extender on your car? I'm looking to maybe port my blower but not if I have to upgrade the MAF and BAP.

Thanks.

mj8

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Off topic....

Do you have a BAP and/or Maf Extender on your car? I'm looking to maybe port my blower but not if I have to upgrade the MAF and BAP.

Thanks.

Yes both with 60# injectors waiting on my lower install.

BLK04

Established Member
Funny this thread came up I just ordered a P-fab resv. I guess it depenDs what type of driving you do the most. Drag, road course, or just daily drive w/ a few street races. You can pack the resv. w/ ice and jump the switch to the intercooler pump while sitting around at the drag strip. Or use the gords unit w/ the fans with and the switch jumped too. But with normal driving Id probably go with an upgraded h/e.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Shadowgray03 said:

Absolutely right! However, many consider heat exchangers and larger volume intercooler reservoir tanks to be "cooling mods" and they are to an extent.........at least to the inlet air.

If THIS is what you're tlaking about mj8, then I'd definitely go with a heat exchanger first.

mj8

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Absolutely right! However, many consider heat exchangers and larger volume intercooler reservoir tanks to be "cooling mods" and they are to an extent.........at least to the inlet air.

If THIS is what you're tlaking about mj8, then I'd definitely go with a heat exchanger first.

Yea that is what I was talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread