cooling woes

avro206

Established Member
Looking for some advice on getting my 97 Cobra to run cooler. I understand these cars run on the warm side and I have found that to be more then true.

In low speed bumper to bumper rush hour traffic the needle is right on the edge--the last white mark. If it moves any more it'll be in the red.

Even under normal higher speed driving conditions it runs warmer then any car I have ever owned. It just makes me uncomfortable and the feeling that it's not a good situation.

Our hot weather spell lately has pushed it to it's meager limits.

Where should I start?

I have read about Mishimoto radiators and thermostats--any positive exp with either or both?

Or do I need a better fan?

thanks

laddanator

Established Member
This has been covered many times, but here goes.

Are you sure the fan is kicking on is step 1

Step 2, your gauge or temperature sending unit could be bad and giving a false reading. You really need an after market gauge like Auto Meter to see your true temps.

I have a Mishimoto, Reschie 170 stat with fan come on and off to match the thermostat, Steward water pump, water wetter and GM coolant and on 95 degree days with air off, I'm running 195 or so. I was running 215 to 220 before, so yes, these upgrades are worth it, too me anyway.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
+1 with Laddanator.

Has the thermostat ever been replaced. Chances are if it has, it's been replaced with a GT thermostat/incorrect design. Your 97 should not be running that hot. My 96 doesn't run that hot and it hasn't had the TSB done. Are you sure that the system has been properly burped. If you can I would data-log while driving to see what true temps are. My 96 doesn't move past the "A" (220-ish degrees on while datalogging) in "NORMAL" on really hot days in bumper-to-bumper traffic and again, it's a 96. Your 97 with the updated cooling system shouldn't be running nearly as hot as my 96.

avro206

Established Member
Well I think I'll upgrade the rad and thermostat. Read good things about Mishimoto.

I think the gauge is reading right cause one minute my ac was nice and cold then the next, no so much. The needle moved further :( Turning off the a/c has little effect.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
OP data-logging will really tell you what true temps are and where to go from here. Make sure there's no air in the system, you have the correct thermostat and your fans, along with the remaining cooling system components, are in operable order. Upgrading the T-Stat and Radiator are valid options, but I would attempt to diagnose the issue prior to throwing parts at it.

Last edited:

Martin6107

Established Member
Ford Parts

I swapped out a junk aftermarket radiator in my 96 for a 2003 Cobra radiator and Motorcraft standard thermostat for the 96. The old setup usually hung around the -A- where this new setup hangs around the -O-. The last 100+ degree day I made it a point to go driving in traffic and the reading go no higher than just touching the -R-.

MY 96 had the cooling TSB performed on it which means the radiator mounts were upgraded to a 97 year. Unfortunately, I had to swap out the OEM radiator for an aftermarket unit because the previous owner had gummed up the radiator with stop leak (which should be called stop flow or clogs-a-lot).

avro206

Established Member
I guess USA Cobras have different gages? I have C on the left for cold and a H on the right for hot.

I am not sure how a verify what thermostat is in the car. I do have a single fan. I bought off a one owner, he took pretty good care of it. But it annoys me how warm it runs. I have owned about 22 cars and this runs the warmest.

I ordered the Reschie 170 stat but I am not sure it will lower the temps as much as needed. I'll look into data logging. I did it once years ago on my 89 Formula.....

ZeroDCX

Established Member
The Reische unit is arguably the best money can buy. But if fan settings are not changed to reflect the upgraded T - Stat you will see no benefit while idling, only while the car is in motion. Fan settings should be adjusted to: Turn on between 184-190° and Shut off between 176-182°.

avro206

Established Member
The Reische unit is arguably the best money can buy. But if fan settings are not changed to reflect the upgraded T - Stat you will see no benefit while idling, only while the car is in motion. Fan settings should be adjusted to: Turn on between 184-190° and Shut off between 176-182°.

thanks for the info! I'll have to find a someplace that has a tuner to do the fan change

Users who are viewing this thread