cop not on duty

lou1799

Established Member
can a cop not on duty give you a ticket i was just messing around is this parking lot and a off duty cop tried getting a cop to come and give me a ticket . he made me give all my license reg and insurance to him .. well it ended no cop came so he said ill get a ticket in the mail .. i just received it today im kinda pissed about it

txyaloo

Established Member
can a cop not on duty give you a ticket i was just messing around is this parking lot and a off duty cop tried getting a cop to come and give me a ticket . he made me give all my license reg and insurance to him .. well it ended no cop came so he said ill get a ticket in the mail .. i just received it today im kinda pissed about it

Yes.

ModularFan

Established Member
Just because a cop isn't in uniform doesn't mean he can't give tickets or lock someone up, he's on duty no matter what regardless if he's in uniform or not. did he flash his badge at you.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I have done it a few times for "following too closely". I just have another officer stop them have them record their name. I tell the person they will be getting a citation in the mail.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Why are you pissed about it? you think you are above the law? you get what you ask for :nonono:. and bottom line yes, he can give you a ticket.

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
Normally, peace officers are sworn to the state they serve in, not the city or county they serve. All that is required is they note the local court and phone number on your citation. It's even easier when the violation occurs in the city/county they work in. I have to admit though, 99 percent of cops dont run up to someone in a car just to cite them when they are off duty. You must have been acting really stupid! No, wait....really really really stupid.

musclefan21

Established Member
if you received the ticket then it already answered your question.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
As mentioned,leo are on duty all of the time.Id say "most experienced" officers wouldnt waste their time unless it was something they thought had to be handled.Whatever you were doing he felt was too much and had every right to take the action he did

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
That's awesome.. I never knew that.

The one question I pose:

In this situation wouldn't the officer have to prove the crime? Esp. If I never signed anything? What I'm getting at is that this could easily been thrown out of court with lack of evidence? ( I support officers, but always interested in the loopholes )

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
The officer saw you doing whatever it was you were doing.In this case,Im guessing the officer will be in court with you.So its the same as being in uniform.Not signing[in your state evidently] you are not required to sign,thus getting the citation in the mail.If he was on duty/in uniform it would be the same outcome as far as being charged.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Its really not complicated guys.Just as you can be a witness to a crime and testify.Any "lay" witness can testify to what they did or didnt see.What better witness than leo?But yeah,its true

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
That's awesome.. I never knew that.

The one question I pose:

In this situation wouldn't the officer have to prove the crime? Esp. If I never signed anything? What I'm getting at is that this could easily been thrown out of court with lack of evidence? ( I support officers, but always interested in the loopholes )

Signing a citation has nothing to do with an admission of guilt and the lack of a signature has no bearing on evidence. Citations served after the fact (at least in the case for my department) are sent via certified mail. So proof of receipt is there.

rubber duck

Established Member
You must've been really messing around. It would take quite a bit of "messing around" for me to identify myself off duty to issue a ticket.

Last edited:

TBone2532

McQueen = My Hero!
Established Member
If an officer is issuing a citation while not on duty does his jurisdiction matter? I know many officers in my area do not live in their working jurisdictions.

Headhunter

Established Member
I have gotten a ticket from an off duty officer, the messed up part about it is that he was in the lane next to me and gave me a thumbs up. I thought that ment race and with my new et streets just put on 5 minutes before I was pumped. Truck hooked and booked but I never broke the speed limit luckily. He just eased in behind me and when I pulled in to blockbuster he got out and informed me of who he was and what I did wrong. Ticket was for excessive acceleration. New to me but it is what it is. The only problem was he also tried to get me on my tires by saying they aren't street legal, after about 10 minutes and a state trooper stopping in and telling the other cop the tires are ok we were done with the riot act and started talking trucks. The whole part about not signing doesn't matter. If the cop shows up for court and tells his side you will pay the fine. If he doesn't show judge can throw it out. How lucky do you feel? I just pay it cause I know I was doing wrong but that's just me. Now if I wasn't I would fight it but in most cases cops don't walk around with a hard on to write tickets off duty unless you were a danger to your self or somebody.

Headhunter

Established Member
Also look at it like this, an off duty cop is driving and a drunk driver pulls out in front of him and is swerving all over the road almost running into oncoming traffic. Then the bad happens and the drunk crosses the line head on into a car with a family going to eat. The off duty cop is hit also and now involved in the accident, he was in his unit but off duty. The winning factor in court was that he swore to protect and serve and he is held to a higher standard due to his oath and position in this world. If he would have pulled the guy over an accident would have been avoided and maybe 2 kids would still have their father. It sounds crazy maybe that being off duty, not on the clock, he can be held partialy accountable for what happened but good cops take the job serious and believe in their purpose. Cops deal with life 24hrs a day and have alot of weight on them, that's why not everyone can be one. The cop that wrote you the ticket probably pictured his family driving by and whatever u where doing could have put them in harms way so he was actually doing you and the world a favor. Time and place for everything.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
If an officer is issuing a citation while not on duty does his jurisdiction matter? I know many officers in my area do not live in their working jurisdictions.

If an officer off duty and NOT in uniform issues a citation out of his/her jurisdiction that ticket will be thrown out.Most leo should know that and may be putting their job on the line if such action is taken.My jurisdiction is the city limits plus one mile.
Though it happens,but most OD officers will normally call in a uniformed car to write the citation and the OD will be the prosecuting witness.

Users who are viewing this thread