Cop shoots off-duty cop?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...nother-officer-shot-him/ar-BBDb9qz?li=BBnb7Kz
A “friendly fire” incident in which an off-duty St. Louis policeman was shot while coming to the aid of fellow officers has taken on racial overtones after an incendiary claim by the injured officer’s attorney: The officer was viewed as a threat because he was black.

The St. Louis Police Department has not identified any of the officers involved in Wednesday night’s incident. The officer who shot the off-duty policeman is white. All seven officers involved are on administrative leave as the department sorts out what happened.

What is known is that officers with an anti-crime task force were tracking a car that was stolen from the Maryland Heights community after its license plate had been detected by an automatic reader Wednesday night, interim police chief Lawrence O’Toole told reporters.

Keep up on politics with The Washington Post's 5-Minute Fix newsletter

During the chase, the armed men inside the car opened fire.

Officers fired back, hitting one of the men in the ankle during the ensuing exchange. The vehicle ultimately crashed in a neighborhood on the north side of the city and the occupants jumped out and ran, police said. The man shot in the ankle was quickly arrested, along with a teenager who was caught after a brief chase. A third man — who police believed was armed — got away and remained at large Sunday.

An off-duty officer who lives nearby heard the commotion, grabbed his service pistol and headed to the scene to assist his fellow officers. He arrived as the other officers were carrying out the arrest.

The other officers ordered the off-duty officer to the ground, then recognized him as a fellow policeman and told him to stand up and walk toward them.

As he approached, another officer arrived and shot the off-duty officer in the arm, “apparently not recognizing” him, police told the Associated Press.

The black officer, who is 38 years old and an 11-year veteran of the force, was treated at the hospital and released. The shooter, a 36-year-old officer who has been on the force for eight years, told investigators he had feared for his safety.

This will probably end in a fat settlement $$$$ at the tax payers expense. I would have thought there were protocols for off duty and/or undercover officers to prevent this sort of thing from happening. But i guess protocols go out the window if you shoot first and ask questions later.. *smh*

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
A few thought/questions:

1.) The race card being used is expected. Can the on duty cops be reasonably expected to recognize everyone on the force because I'd imagine the force has a large number of employees.
2.) Did the responding officers give any indication they required the help of the off duty cop? If not, perhaps he should have stayed off-duty while minding his business.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Read this story this morning... on the surface--as its being reported now--its pretty disturbing.

Definitely makes you shake your head and go... WTF??

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
A good friend who is a deputy here has repeatedly told me he stays away while off duty from any activities that do not directly involve him. It's protocol for his department to keep you nose out of police business unless in uniform or on duty.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
A good friend who is a deputy here has repeatedly told me he stays away while off duty from any activities that do not directly involve him. It's protocol for his department to keep you nose out of police business unless in uniform or on duty.

what about ccw holders who witness a crime and want to stop it? How do LEOs feel about civilians doing this sort of thing?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
what about ccw holders who witness a crime and want to stop it? How do LEOs feel about civilians doing this sort of thing?

Unless the officer is pinned to the ground fighting for his life, or simply out numbered, I'd gamble to say he/she would be less inclined to support involvement from a lay person.

verbal

Established Member
“In the police report, you have so far, there is no description of threat he received,” he told St. Louis Fox-affiliate KTVI. “So we have a real problem with that. But this has been a national discussion for the past two years. There is this perception that a black man is automatically feared.”

That would be because of the 3 black males firing from a stolen vehicle.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Unless the officer is pinned to the ground fighting for his life, or simply out numbered, I'd gamble to say he/she would be less inclined to support involvement from a lay person.

Agreed. No way I'd get involved with anything unless I saw an officer in grave danger.

Jefe

Established Member
Wow thats awful.

Umm whats this?

"its license plate had been detected by an automatic reader"

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
“In the police report, you have so far, there is no description of threat he received,” he told St. Louis Fox-affiliate KTVI. “So we have a real problem with that. But this has been a national discussion for the past two years. There is this perception that a black man is automatically feared.”

That would be because of the 3 black males firing from a stolen vehicle.

Take the post you quoted and your reply and replace "black" with "white".

Users who are viewing this thread