COP swap NO start

Branden Brooks

Established Member
I have a 98 cobra and I bought the harness from Red Monster, cop valve covers, some used cops. Got everything installed and I try and start it and nothing. The starter cranks and cranks and that's all I get. if I switch back to the normal plugs and wires setup it starts right up. I checked the resistance on all the cops and they all seem to test within the same range. I've also checked all my fuses. What am I or could I be missing? Any advice besides trash this idea would be great.
20200424_153627.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I have a 98 cobra and I bought the harness from Red Monster, cop valve covers, some used cops. Got everything installed and I try and start it and nothing. The starter cranks and cranks and that's all I get. if I switch back to the normal plugs and wires setup it starts right up. I checked the resistance on all the cops and they all seem to test within the same range. I've also checked all my fuses. What am I or could I be missing? Any advice besides trash this idea would be great.View attachment 1637266

I hate to be a negative voice, but I was in the exact same scenario as you, and went through the original harness as well as a replacement harness before I was fed up to the point of reinstalling the factory ignition system. Best of luck to you, but I could never get it to work.

LaserRed_Snake

Established Member
Try holding the gas pedal all the way down while cranking over. I also recently bought a harness from him, and dealing with the same issue. Car would only turn on with gas pedal all the way down.also sent mine in, as the car was misfiring like crazy after the install.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Branden Brooks

Established Member
With the help of Red Monster, we fixed it. The pins were backwards on the connectors. Swapped the wires around on each of the 8 connectors, put the cop covers back on and it fired up on the first turn. Runs smooth. No miss fires as of now. The cops I am using came from a Navigator engine.

mysteed

Established Member
Thanks for following up with your findings. I had a similar issue with a friends harness and it turned out to be the same issue as yours. Glad you got your issue figured out.

Wiseguy302

Established Member
With the help of Red Monster, we fixed it. The pins were backwards on the connectors. Swapped the wires around on each of the 8 connectors, put the cop covers back on and it fired up on the first turn. Runs smooth. No miss fires as of now. The cops I am using came from a Navigator engine.

Hey Branden, how did you end up figuring this was the case? Did you end up testing the wires with a diagram or anything?

Branden Brooks

Established Member
I contacted Red Monster and told him everything that I had done and what was happening. He asked for some pictures of the harness and connectors and was able to diagnose the problem. Just did what he told me to do and it worked.
Hey Branden, how did you end up figuring this was the case? Did you end up testing the wires with a diagram or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread