Cops- If you could have any gun as your trunk/rack gun what i would it be?

Wildpony

Established Member
If you got to pick your long gun for your car, what would it be?? Now if you all answer the 12 ga, what would your 2nd choice be if you could have 2 guns ???

If it were me I would have a Benelli M1 "Entry gun" and in the trunk either a "ARS" built Mini 14 /Mini 30 or an MP5.

Last edited:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
M4 With an EoTech or the MP5 SD in .40S&W. But I would rather have the M4 as if I run to the trunk to get a gun, I want something with some snot to it.

Last edited:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Last edited:

Lt.FrankBullitt

Established Member
First choice would be the remington 870, Second choice would be something in .30 caliber either .308 or the shorty .308 (7.62X39)

jshen

Established Member
EoTech & Bushy

Wildpony said:
Is the M4 the updated M1(w/less kick) Limbsaver type recoil and what is the EoTech??

I have a Bushmaster M-17 bullpup with Eotech Holosite in my car with 300 rds ammo in 30 rd clips. My EoTech runs on the AA batteries and can accommodate night vision. The rifle is 30 inches long...yet it has a full 21" barrel. I like it much more than the M-4 as it can easily be shot one handed and, if need be, used in small spaces like the interior of a car. With this design you have the best of both worlds...small yet unlike the M-4, it will reach out with the full barrel to "touch someone" if the need be. It is a "clean" design and discharged gases go out front tubes and not back into firing chamber.

I carry a Glock 29, 10mm, handgun with Ga. Arms Sheer Power Plus 155 and 180 grain rounds stacked alternating between the two. I keep two Glock G-20 high caps close by.

Finally, I have a Benchmade auto knife, the type issued by the Feds.

Yes, I was a Boy Scout..... :D

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
jshen said:
I have a Bushmaster M-17 bullpup with Eotech Holosite in my car with 300 rds ammo in 30 rd clips. My EoTech runs on the AA batteries and can accommodate night vision. The rifle is 30 inches long...yet it has a full 21" barrel. I like it much more than the M-4 as it can easily be shot one handed and, if need be, used in small spaces like the interior of a car. With this design you have the best of both worlds...small yet unlike the M-4, it will reach out with the full barrel to "touch someone" if the need be. It is a "clean" design and discharged gases go out front tubes and not back into firing chamber.

Ok, Im not trying to start anything, but I would hope like hell I would never have to shoot a long gun one handed, no matter what kind it was. Because that would mean I would have taken a hit and lost the use of that arm for some reason. But with that guns design, I suppose you could do the old grip and squeeze. But doing that.... how can you see the sites?

Further, Im curious about how far out you have to reach out and "touch someone". The M4 version is suitable for the military, which uses it out to 600yds. I don't think I could justify shooting someone at 600yds to 12 members of my neighborhood. There was an officer that shot a person in the southern part of my state at about 125ft, and he had charges brought against him.(Don't quote me on that though). He was found not-guilty and it was ruled a justifiable shooting. If there is ever a situation where I would have to shoot at someone that was far enough away to necessitate a full length(read: long Range) barell, I would be calling in the SWAT team.

Just my .02c though...............

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
Tackleberry? Hmmm

Kinda fits me.

I usually target shoot stationary clay skeet pigeons at 150+ yards and have no problems..just point where the red dot is. My AR Colt sporter is not near as accurate above 200 yds but I am by no means an expert with the rifle. The M-17 is very well balanced with it's handle and trigger mid-length of the rifle so it's easy to fire...as to aiming..that's another matter. With this rifle, optics are a must! With 30 round mags and a close target...you don't have to aim much.

My Colt HAS to be cleaned everytime it's fired...the Bushy does not and cleaning is a 5 minute job. Again, all the dirt and grime go out the front.

I started carrying my "gear" after preparing for the G-8 which turned out to be nothing. Now after the shootings in the Atlanta courthouse...I'm back to being Tackleberry......Damn...I like the nickname..

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
Lawfficer said:
Ok, Im not trying to start anything, but I would hope like hell I would never have to shoot a long gun one handed, no matter what kind it was. Because that would mean I would have taken a hit and lost the use of that arm for some reason. But with that guns design, I suppose you could do the old grip and squeeze. But doing that.... how can you see the sites?

Further, Im curious about how far out you have to reach out and "touch someone". The M4 version is suitable for the military, which uses it out to 600yds. I don't think I could justify shooting someone at 600yds to 12 members of my neighborhood. There was an officer that shot a person in the southern part of my state at about 125ft, and he had charges brought against him.(Don't quote me on that though). He was found not-guilty and it was ruled a justifiable shooting. If there is ever a situation where I would have to shoot at someone that was far enough away to necessitate a full length(read: long Range) barell, I would be calling in the SWAT team.

Just my .02c though...............

I'm not sure what your source is for your info, but an M-4 is not accurate out to 600 yards. Not even close. An M-4 only has a 14" inch barrel and is considered a carbine, not a rifle. Many SWAT/SRT are using M-4's as entry weapons these days. MP5's were the bomb a few years ago, but they are not very useful beyond 75 yrds. They only fire pistol cartridges. We found that out the hard way like alot of teams. The M-4 is effective out to around 400 meters. In Afganistan, we found them lacking in the ranges we were having to engage targets. As an entry weapon, it is still effective. I can't imagine why anyone would have "charges" brought against them when using a weapon in the line of duty unless he was outside of departmental policy or not qualified with that weapon. Otherwise, if it is a deadly force situation, it shouldn't matter. A 12 gauge with 00 buckshot is way more devastating to the human body than any 5.56 m/m round from an M-4. To see our team and our weapons in a simulated entry go to www.remingtontd.com and view the video of the "Eyeball" device. We use MP5's and M-4's.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
M4s have killed Taliban and such to 600m in the hands of SF guys. Still, I would say there effective range is -300-400m. Shotguns with buckshot have a range or 35-45m. 150m with slugs, if you know how to use them properly. More importantly, an M4 will defeat body armor and a shotgun will not.

Currently the LE weapon "in vogue" is the M4. It used to be the MP5, but the AR/M4 platform is more versatile, penetrates body armor, is more powerful, etc.

Although I have shot an MP5 SD. Certainly would be one of my preferences for quiet work--if I was an officer this would be just the ticket for taking down guarddogs or dispatching wounded animals (car vs deer, etc).

BTW, the longest police shot on a suspect that I have ever heard of (in contemporary times) was under 100m, fired by a SWAT sniper. The average police Marksman engagement distance through the 1990s, per the FBI, was 73m.

The first officer responding to the infamous school shooting in Littleton Colorado traded shots with the shooters at nearly 75m, with no hits on either side. This in and of itself validates the use of the M4 in Law Enforcement.

Last edited:

Groovyash

Established Member
I too have both an 870, and an AR in the cruiser. I like having both, there are tasks better suited to one and to the other. I went to Thunder Ranch's two day shotgun class two years ago, and have no doubt in it's effectiveness, however probably 8 times out of 10 I think the AR is the wiser choice for police work.

Best,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread