Corbeau LG1 Defective Reclining Mechanism TIMES TWO!!

Orange and Blue

3rd Shift Motorsports
Established Member
Ok so get this.

I ordered a set of Corbeau LG1's (microseude, ya know, for the ladies) and got them installed a couple weeks ago. I got in nestled into the seat and CLUNK, I ended up in the back seat. The reclining mechanism wouldn't stay locked, under the sheer raw force of merely sitting in the seat. No I'm not 1000 lbs, I double checked afterwards. :shrug:

So, I called up Racing Seats USA and their customer service rep was EXTREMELY helpful. I have to recommend them for their customer service. She contacted Corbeau for me and explained my situation. Long story short, I ended up calling Corbeau directly and they were also very helpful. I asked them to send me a replacement seat and they obliged. However, it took a week and a half to arrive, I had a replacement seat.

Part deux:
I installed the new seat and drove on it for a whole 2 days. I stopped at a gas station for a frosty beverage, got back in my car and BOOM! In the back seat again. :mj:

I called Corbeau, again. They were sorry, again. This time I asked them to overnight a locking mechanism and I'm going to put it in this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

However, this car is on the track 4-5 times per year and quite frankly, I have my doubts about staying with these reclining seats. If this happens on the track, and I can't see where I'm going it probably wouldn't end well.

So my questions to you guys: Do you think I should trust these seats to hold up to on track G-forces? Has anyone used a fix back seat in their daily driver (specifically Corbeau)? They offered upgrading me to a fixed back. The car will be a daily driver for 2 more years probably.

Rick88LX

Established Member
Buy Recaros...I know they're pricey, but you get what you pay for. There's a reason they are sourced by OEMs.
In a previous life I was a crash test engineer at Chrysler...and I ran seat pull tests...FMVSS 207/209/210. Good seats are worth the $$$ in the long run.

Orange and Blue

3rd Shift Motorsports
Established Member
Thanks Rick. I've also been in the automotive industry for some time. That was another question I had which I can't find the answer to. Do these seat manufacturers have to meet FMVSS requirements? From what I'm reading, Corbeaus are notorious for this problem.

Rick88LX

Established Member
Thanks Rick. I've also been in the automotive industry for some time. That was another question I had which I can't find the answer to. Do these seat manufacturers have to meet FMVSS requirements? From what I'm reading, Corbeaus are notorious for this problem.

I sure they do have to meet the FMVSSS requirements if the vehicle was built with them (Recaros in the new Boss & GT500). They would have to demonstrate compliance in order to be sold...and test data would need to be provided.
However, I'm not sure about the "aftermarket" seats sold directly through Recaro.
Might be worth a phone call.

Orange and Blue

3rd Shift Motorsports
Established Member
I sure they do have to meet the FMVSSS requirements if the vehicle was built with them (Recaros in the new Boss & GT500). They would have to demonstrate compliance in order to be sold...and test data would need to be provided.
However, I'm not sure about the "aftermarket" seats sold directly through Recaro.
Might be worth a phone call.

It's the aftermarket I'm curious about as well. I think I'l probably end up going with fixed backs, but I'll give the replacement locking mechanism one more shot.

I would like more input from guys riding around in fixed backs. I don't want to solve a problem and create an entirely new unbearable one.

Orange and Blue

3rd Shift Motorsports
Established Member
Sweet Mary another Issue...

OK. So I have an update.

I told Corbeau that I wanted to swap to their FX1 fixed back seat since I've had 2 reclining mechanisms fail under normal operation. They obliged and sent me a set of FX1's. They seems to be a fairly nice race seat. Nothing terribly fancy. I got the LG1's out of the car, transferred the sliders, and went to put the FX1's in the car. BOOM, another problem! The seat hits the transmission tunnel AND the door seal. I mean, this is the biggest damn seat I've ever seen in my life. And no, I didn't hammer on my tranny tunnel to make the seats fit like the customer service rep recommended (not even kidding in the least). Anyhow, to remedy the situation, I sat in my driveway drinking beer for half an hour until my buddy, GreenSix, got there and consoled me.

So, I called Corbeau on last Thursday and told them this new found problem. But, at this point my kitchen looked like this...
a77ea503-99e5-4c39-8c36-35e640a29e37_zps20bd0f86.jpg

Plus I had one seat in the car so I could actually drive it. Corbeau said that they have "lost far too much money in shipping" while trying to correct this problem. Also, they said from this point forward, I would have to cover shipping both ways for returning any merchandise or requesting replacement merchandise. :shrug: I mean, come on bro.
I'm sure this hasn't been an inexpensive field failure for them... but when are customer complaints cheap? Right?

So, my last option was to replace the reclining mechanism itself. So, I ripped the upholstery off the seat and pulled the reclining mechanism.

It's difficult to see, but you can see some of the teeth are not as long as others. They didn't look sheered, it looked like they weren't formed properly while manufacturing them.
b7c13075-9407-4c16-ac7d-909a1932cbb4_zps8fa3d326.jpg

This is the replacement mechanism.

12749d97-df6d-456b-aba4-c483d478908f_zps7d483036.jpg

So I replaced some hog rings and got the seat back together. The new mechanism seems to be holding up fine so far. The car goes back on track again in June. If you don't hear anything from me after then, everything is fine!

Considering this is my last hope to get these seats to work, I've got my fingers double and triple crossed.

:beer:

Orange and Blue

3rd Shift Motorsports
Established Member
Are the seats still doing OK? How are they for track duty? I'm considering a set of LG1's myself.

After I replaced the reclining mechanisms they have been around Road Atlanta for 3 track events. I have to say they are performing well. There are no signs of the mechanisms committing suicide like before.

Corbeau's customer service was really top notch and I can honestly recommend them.

Hope this helps!

Orange and Blue

3rd Shift Motorsports
Established Member
That does help - thanks! Now just a matter of picking the LG1 or CR1.

A good buddy of mine with a S197 mustang has the CR-1's. They have a much higher thigh bolster that can be a pain with a daily driver. LG-1's are a little easier to get in and out of.

Users who are viewing this thread