Core charges for new parts at Audi dealership?

CobRoush-00

Established Member
My Audi was acting up the past few days, taking a long time to start. After scanning the OBD, I got a P0171. I checked for vacuum leaks. None. I did some reseach that pointed me toward the MAF sensor. I went to the dealer to buy the part and I was told $235 plus a core charge of $25. Then he made it clear to me that the part must be returned in the original box with both caps on it.
At that point I asked him since when do we return parts for core charges here because I have used this dealership for many years. His response was 6 months ago. Then I proceeded by asking him how do I know I am getting "genuine brand new parts" that you advertised and sell for premium price versus refurbished ones. He didn't have an answer for me.
Now, I didn't beat up on the poor guy because he was just doing his job. To me it was unchartered territory at the dealership because I never had to return anything before for core. Do you guys have any similar encounter at other dealerships?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Some products have cores and some don't. Most times if there is a product that can be refurbished they ask for a core.
Maybe the dealer of Audi has a new contract that required cores?
If they ever get caught selling reman for new they can be in big trouble.

19turbo95

Established Member
Not uncommon for an electrical part. Most alternators, starters, batteries, and many electrical parts will be remanufactured from the dealer.

YJSONLY

Established Member
We had to get a new alternator from ford for are F250 guess what it was a reman in a ford box. It is what it is

95PGTTech

Established Member
What you are getting is a new part. Awhile ago companies started charging cores on new parts to keep the costs of the remans as low as possible. If you turn in a core on your new part, this is one more core into the reman pool.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
I see. Thanks for the responses. I was shocked because of the price they charge for the parts that is more than double what I could have gotten it online with a core charge. But, I needed the part right away.

95PGTTech

Established Member
I see. Thanks for the responses. I was shocked because of the price they charge for the parts that is more than double what I could have gotten it online with a core charge. But, I needed the part right away.

You are refunded the core so it's all peanuts in the end. Online you pay the core but eat the shipping back. While you get a new part, this allows the manufacturer to offer both the new part and their re manufactured parts now at a lower price point.

As far as prices, maintenance, reliability, temperament, specialty tools, etc. go, you bought an Audi. Need I elaborate?

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford MAFs have core charges, even new ones. Ford also has core charges on wheels, headlamps, and bumper covers in order to keep them out of the aftermarket. A couple years ago they added core charges on EGR coolers to keep people from sending them to Bullet Proof.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Many companies are charging cores just to either make extra money on the parts in hoping you don't bring them back OR keep the rebuildable parts from getting into the hands of the aftermarket companies. Bumpers on a LOT of the Fords *plastic covers* have a core on them now so the reconditioning companies have a harder time getting their hands on them to resell instead of Ford selling a new one. If you think the $25 core for the sensor is bad, its $200 and up for the bumpers. If you don't have the old one or its destroyed beyond finding any pieces of it, you're going to eat that core charge. Tough cookies.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

$235 for a new part is double what you could've got online? What the online part a new Audi part, or some rebuilt. Price just doesn't seem high to me.

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
VW/Audi has a large re-manufacturing program in place.
Any part number that has a "X" as the 11th digit is an exchange part where a core will be charged/credited if the return criteria is met.
Items include: water pumps, injectors, clutches, catalysts, particulate filters, injection units, clusters, starters, alternators, steering racks and pumps, control modules, turbo's, cylinder heads, engines, trans, etc.
These parts are cheaper than buying a new non-exchange part.
All parts are returned to Germany where they are remanufactured and eventually redistributed.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
$235 for a new part is double what you could've got online? What the online part a new Audi part, or some rebuilt. Price just doesn't seem high to me.

yeah that online part would either be reman, used or someone booboo'd.

Hell I remember paying $275 for an OEM maf from ford once.

Users who are viewing this thread