Corner Carving, Road Course Racing and general Handling Thread

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Which PFC did you use, where did you get them and for how much, and what did you use them for?

I have the PFC 08 pads on a dedicated set of Centric rotors for the track. After one weekend smelling the stock Brembo pads burn up I decided it was worth the investment. Absolutely incredible about of stopping power compared to the stock pads. I have even gotten comments from instructors on how well the car brakes. Purchased them from topbrakes.com but they are not cheap at $330. They have held up very well after several track days especially considering how heavy these cars are. I do have the brake cooling kit and would highly suggest that to anybody regardless of what pads they run. The only negative thing I can say about the PFC08's so far is they do dust so if you run a bright wheel, it won't be that way for long.

I did a lot of research/reading before deciding on a pad and there is more debate on brake pads than almost anything else I can think of. What I would say for certain is there is no such thing as a good dual purpose (track/street) pad. Buying a dedicated set of pads and rotors will save a lot of aggravation in the end.

Last edited:

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
Thanks for your experience, that's exactly what this thread's all about.

I agree with the either/or pad selection. Choose one for street use and one to switch out before the track. Rotors, as you said, would add to that goal.

I've only used a couple different pads on my last road course mustang, but they all seem to squeal and dust like pigs in a tornado, so it's only worth it on the track.

$330 does seem steep. These cars are just so damn heavy, it's hard to avoid the need for a serious pad though.

darreng505

Established Member
Let's talk brake pads.

Whose' running Carbotech, Hawks or Ferodo?

I heard good things about Ferodo DS2500, but price is somewhat intimidating.

I've also heard good things about using the Carbo's RP2's up front which are designed for endurance racing but still somewhat easy on the disc - which means you get quite a few events out of them.

What are you guys using for fluid?

Brembo LCF600? Motul RBF600? Castrol SRF?

I have two sets of the ferodo race pads. About to put the first set on. I hear they modulate very well, withstand higher Temps but less initial bite. I'll see next month. $388 a pair. Ouch!

Castrol SRF FTW!

nissenc1337

Established Member
I'm wondering now if i should go the bilstein route for shocks and struts or get eibach's pro-kit coil over system for a couple hundred bucks more. I DD my car obviously so ride quality is somewhat important but the adjustability of the coilovers is attractive. Also, does anyone know if the eibach coil over system comes with mounts? all the stock photos i see just show the shock and spring. if someone has a link to an indepth install i'd appreciate a link.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
My first step, ST XTA coilovers made by KW

mBqqffj.jpg

sqLEAWq.jpg

98oiePw.jpg

2zLdZ5q.jpg

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
Pics to follow but for whatever reason the steeda X5 ball joints I bought from steeda won't fit in the GT500 front control arm. The hole is too big, even though steeda says it will fit v6 GT and GT500

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Suspension mods thus far:
ST XTA coilovers
BMR 38mm Front Sway
BMR HD Spherical UCA + Mount
BMR LCA's with elastomer bushings
BMR Relocation brackets
BMR PanHard Bar
Whiteline Endlinks
285/35/19 S-04 Pole Postions

1VdN0As.jpg

j7QjddL.jpg

iWLch2g.jpg

RARJU6S.jpg

d4oqEQ0.jpg

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Amazing, I was almost concerned when driving it first because it was so well mannered around city bumps and ruts that I might have gone with too soft a spring. But so far its performed exceptionally when thrown into corners, pretty neutral so far. I might go one hole stiffer on the front bar (currently at 2/5, it's a beast) but I haven't felt that more spring is needed (we'll see when it comes to the track).

It is stiffer than stock and you can tell, but in a way even more forgiving than most lowering springs I've felt.
No pops, squeaks, rubbing or anything (yet).

Last edited:

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
It's good, very good. I wouldn't say essntial, you can get a lot done with a good PHB and brace - but putting power down out of the corner and recovering from ruts and changes in the banking of roads has never felt so confident before. Very predictable and planted.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Wow ok, guess its not as straight forward as I thought.

Well to be honest, most of the technical difficulty is 1) knowing what you want your roll center to be and 2) using a digital angle finder to match planes. So outside that, pretty easy.

Also, my 8 rating is keeping in mind not everyone has specialized small air tools like I do (I develop tools for work) - and the fact that some tolerances didn't afford a normal wrench's use.

Also I got one of the first couple kits in existence, so I fumbled with a few things making it all work right.

Users who are viewing this thread