Correct me if im wrong but.. (tire size question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tequila612

Established Member
A Nitto 555R (Drag Radial) in size 315/35/17 will fit on a True 1995 Ford Cobra R Rim? (17x9) Correct?

Also, are these tires worth a damn?

I have NO traction through 1st gear and I just want some sort of traction, I put about 20 miles on my car a day, but I VERY rarly do a burn out or anything, I just want every day driving traction when I hit the gas.

ALSO (haha) what size tire would you recommend for the front? Should I use the Nitto 555's up front?

Any input will be great.

budguy1967

Established Member
I had some Nitto 555R's (245/45/17) put on Saturday. I have 4.30 gears and most of the bolt on's. After a year and a half of slippery street tires, I have to say I am very impressed with my Nittos. 1st gear is now useable with almost no tire spin. The car feels much faster now that I can use the low gears. You will be very happy with them if you choose to get Nittos.

I have seen several people get the Nitto 555 street tire for the fronts, but I have stock tires on the front currently.

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i loved switching to my 275/40 nitto DRs. I thought they were the best thing I had done to the car. Now, instead of playing catch up. I usually get the jump on people and they have to run me down :D

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
yes, it will, but it will bulge quite a bit. What are your mods? A 275/40 might work.

you can pick up ET Streets and V6 rims for a total of about 360$. THey will hook a LOT more than DRs.

budguy1967

Established Member
Well, I have to say unless you are pushing some serious power with nitrous or a supercharger, nitto 275's should handle anything you could do with NA mods...IMO.

Tequila612

Established Member
I have 4.30's, full exhaust (long tubes, H pipe, flows) and SOMETIMES a small shot.. (75ish maybe) but that is VERY rare.

Should I just get 275's?

budguy1967

Established Member
Doug, are you running nitrous in 1st gear? if so, any tire spin with your nittos? I would love to have my car as low as yours, but I am want my car to hook up well in low gears.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
my car with 4.30s and a 125 shot held 1st pretty good with the 275s. It rolled the tires over a few times, but it didn't blow them off or anything like that. However, the tires were aired up, and had a good 30minutes of highway driving on them that night, so they were probably warm. The street was cold, though.

I think the 275's would do just fine for you. 315s are just too expensive for my tastes unless you just REALLY want "that" look; even then i think its too expensive. I would rather pay that money on slicks...

budguy1967

Established Member
plus 315's are heavier...if 275's will get the job done, and speed is the most important, I would go for the 275's...saves you weight.

budguy1967

Established Member
How much air pressure do you run in your nittos Doug when you race? I currently have 25lbs, and it hooks well even cold.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
on the street, close to 30. I'm real impressed with their wear and wear pattern. I was expecting to get about 5K miles with how hard i drive. before the motor blew i was at 7K and counting and still had half the tread on the car.

At the track, I air them down to about 15psi then do a good 10s 2nd gear burnout. That's when I broke an axle on the second pass launching on the spray :D

Who would have thought you could break an axle on 17" street tires. LOL. the track was hooking good that day.

I'll have a video up here soon of me breaking that day. I finally found someone that had a good video of my car. :lol: its an awesome video.

Last edited:

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
With the mods you listed earlier I don't think you'll have a problem with axels unless you rape the car daily. By the way 275 Will be perfect.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Originally posted by budguy1967
Should I be concerned with my stock axles running NA?

I wouldn't worry, unless you are going to spray over a 100 shot out of the hole.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I doubt it. The day I broke, there were full fledge drag cars breaking wheel studs. I was told be a track worker that they prepped the track for Outlaw cars, then prepped it again for Outlaw cars...then put another layer of VHT at the starting line.

It was hooking good that day. A buddy with a 460hp supra was dead hooking true radail street tires (not DRs) on his launch.

On DRs, your best bet is to get the car to spin them over once or twice. Those tires don't absorb a lot of shock like slicks do. so that shock gets stuck at the axles and has no where to go. If you dead hook, the tires aren't gonna transfer the engery. If you spin its going to release energy.

My advice is dump it off the limiter and hope it don't hook. if it boils the tires, lower the rpms until it spins over a little bit. You'll probably need someone to stand at the line to see what the car is doing.

Or you could just launch at 3500 and feather the clutch. But i'm not into that. I don't have any driving skills. I want to put the pedal to the floor and shift. I don't want to worry about anything else.

Last edited:

Tn.cobra

Established Member
I have a set of Mickey thompson e/t drag radial 2 for sale they are 295/45/17 less than 100 miles on them if any one would like to buy

Tn.cobra

Established Member
Sale Mickey Thompson e/t drag 295/45/17

They have less than 100 miles on them u can text me at 865 441 0661

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread