Corrected my slice today!

boxinabag

Established Member
Havent golfed in over 6 months and decided to go out to the course here at Shaw AFB and see how I would do. Took a friend of mine with me who has never golfed before lol, he did alright, 46 over par.. lol.. I ended up going 15 over par which isnt bad at all if you ask me!

My old problem was slicing the ball. I tried all the advice and tricks and what not, and none of it ever worked. So I ended up figuring out my exact cause of it today and fixed it. My problem was a loose grip, as the club would come down the head would pivot and throw the ball right. I tightened my grip and locked my right wrist in place and flung them about 180-200 yards perfectly where I was aiming each time. 2 years of this crap and I am finally able to hit the ball straight.

The other problem I used to have was poor contact with irons, I fixed that today as well, I took time to do plenty of practice swings before each hit and found that choking up or down on the grip changes everything drastically. Once I found my perfect grip I was doing much better, especially with my pitching. I am very proud lol.

On a side note my suspension sounds like balls lol.

jip

Established Member
I just started golfing yesterday,I must say it is a blast but sure can piss you off!
Im left hand and my first couple of drives pushed left,way left

boxinabag

Established Member
I just started golfing yesterday,I must say it is a blast but sure can piss you off!
Im left hand and my first couple of drives pushed left,way left

The first year I was out there trying to do good, and if you go out thinking your going to do good, your just gonna get pissed. If you go out there to have fun and relax, than you will do sooooo much better lol.

Like I said it took 2 years of me jacking with this crap and one day (today) I just managed to fix it lol.

ZWilson07

Established Member
The first year I was out there trying to do good, and if you go out thinking your going to do good, your just gonna get pissed. If you go out there to have fun and relax, than you will do sooooo much better lol.

Like I said it took 2 years of me jacking with this crap and one day (today) I just managed to fix it lol.

nd with the way golf works, in about 3 or 4 more times of golfing you will start doing it again or something different. I was shooting amazing most of last year, then at the end of the year start slicing. This year I really worked hard to correct it and then I did good for awhile before hooking the ball. Then I went back to the drawing board and worked really hard on perfecting everything and making sure I was trying to use very strong fundamentals. While I have shoot better a few times before, id rather shoot alittle higher number but be using really good form. In the end that will make you a better golfer than ever with time. Gotta love it, its a love/hate kinda thing.

dooberGN

Established Member
I used to just adjust my aim to the right to account for the slice but I fixed it as well.

I'm the opposite of you I am awesome with my irons, I can BLAST my 3 iron. I have a problem striking with drivers though.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I'm the opposite of you I am awesome with my irons, I can BLAST my 3 iron. I have a problem striking with drivers though.

I can hit massive with my 3 iron but fail horrible at my drivers too.

FML..

I'm playing tomorrow with 3 people who have never played before...I think I'll be out there forever.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I took a couple lessons way back when and was told until you can play bogey golf, don't even put your driver in the bag. If you get proficient enough in hitting your irons correctly to get in the 80's, you should have your swing mechanics down enough to easily hit your driver correctly.

Sucks on a par 5 though, hehe

ZWilson07

Established Member
I took a couple lessons way back when and was told until you can play bogey golf, don't even put your driver in the bag. If you get proficient enough in hitting your irons correctly to get in the 80's, you should have your swing mechanics down enough to easily hit your driver correctly.

x2, I shoot low to mid 80's on a course that ive played before. If its a harder one that ive never even seen then usually its high 80's or so. But even now I still alot of times use my nike sumo2 3 wood instead of my driver. Don't lose to much but it does make for a longer iron shot. You got to remember your driver SHOULD be the hardest club to control. If your fundamentals are off or if your grip isn't right, you will have a very very hard time getting the results you want and being consistant. Always be checking your hands and grip placement, make sure your grip isn't to tight, and always do acouple practice swings before making your hit.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
What I learned was that sometimes the right club actually does help your game. My dad had always told me that a great player can play well with any clubs. Pretty sure it was his excuse for giving me hand me downs that were 10 years older than me.

For years I used a driver that my dad got as a gift. Callaway C4, full carbon fiber head, cost about $400 new. Problem was the head was super light and the shaft was a regular flex. I swing fast, causing the shaft to bend so the club head can't keep up. Results in a killer slice. It took 5 minutes with a Pro during a free 30 minute lesson at Top Golf for him to tell me to buy a new driver. Got a nice Taylor Made the next week and was hitting it straighter, farther, and more consistent right off the bat.

And yeah, a loose grip will definitely cause a nice slice. I can always tell when I get tired towards the end of the round (or when I'm sweating too much cuz its hot out) because my grip will constantly slip and I'll start pushing everything to the right.

dooberGN

Established Member

This is pretty much what I have been doing. I have a 3 wood that I use on the longer holes but mostly I use irons. I have gotten very good with them so I'm going to start working with a driver at the range this spring.

I think some of it may be mental as well. I know I can hit the irons well but botching drives is always in the back of my mind. Just need practice and experience.

Last edited:

grendel

Established Member
Played today and had a blast. Maybe we need to get some SVTP golf balls printed.

that would be sweet

played the other day first time in about 4 months and shot a 90. i usually drive with my 3wood but i have been using my driver lately and i have been getting better with it.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Tight grip = BAD. Take some lessons from the local golf pro at your course and he'll get you straightened out. I'm fortunate enough to have my brother give me lessons. He's played with/against 4-5 guys on the PGA tour now and would beat them in tournaments. He ended up getting hurt after high school and he just wasn't the same, as a golfer.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Congrats on figuring something out OP! Theres nothin like qorking at something and fixing your own problems.

This may be the dumbest thing Ive heard. :shrug:

The WHOLE game is off the Tee box and inside of 100 yards. :read:

Users who are viewing this thread