Corvette C6 Kill On The Highway

FireredSVT

03 Cobra
Established Member
Yesterday I was on my way from Ruidoso, NM to Roswell when I pulled up on a brand new Corvette C6. These cars look sick! I took it easy for a while because we were in a "safety corridor," you know where the speed limit is 55 and speeding fines are doubled. As soon as we were out of the safety corridor I shifted down to third and blew past him. He followed and it was on. We waited until we were both out in front of traffic and went from a 50 mph roll. He took off first and then I threw it into third and mashed it. I ran him down and pulled past pretty quick. I ended up at about a car and a half out front to about 155-160mph, he could not catch up. The best part was the look on his face. I think he was pretty surprised that he lost. I slowed down and he drove by with the thumbs up. Damn nice looking car though. :coolman:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
hmmm i would figure with your 412rwhp, and vettes aero, that you wouldnt pull past 130mph

but nice kills!

those time in ur sig tho seem abit low tho for 412rwhp. are u at some altitude or did u spin?

ASSASSIN

03 "DSG" Cobra
Established Member
FireredSVT said:
Yesterday I was on my way from Ruidoso, NM to Roswell when I pulled up on a brand new Corvette C6. These cars look sick! I took it easy for a while because we were in a "safety corridor," you know where the speed limit is 55 and speeding fines are doubled. As soon as we were out of the safety corridor I shifted down to third and blew past him. He followed and it was on. We waited until we were both out in front of traffic and went from a 50 mph roll. He took off first and then I threw it into third and mashed it. I ran him down and pulled past pretty quick. I ended up at about a car and a half out front to about 155-160mph, he could not catch up. The best part was the look on his face. I think he was pretty surprised that he lost. I slowed down and he drove by with the thumbs up. Damn nice looking car though. :coolman:

Good Kill :thumbsup: I posted a race up last week that I also had with a newer C6. They are awesome performing and sweet looking car as well. Glad that you had a chance to run a sweet car :rockon: Oh by the way, the guy I raced was surpised as well :D when I beat him but he was cool as well and also gave me a :thumbsup: Again good kill.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
With a 109mph trap I don't see this happening. Hell my friend has an automatic LS1 T/A with nothing but headers and lid and it ran 107mph. Sorry I gotta throw up the :bs: here.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmgtc01

Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
hmmm i would figure with your 412rwhp, and vettes aero, that you wouldnt pull past 130mph

but nice kills!

those time in ur sig tho seem abit low tho for 412rwhp. are u at some altitude or did u spin?

I agree. Are numbers that low without a custom tune? I dynoed 420rwp with just CAI, CB, and performance tune. :shrug: You might as well switch it back. I also ran a 12.4 at 109 with those mods really pushing it. Now with the pulley I roll started and granny shifted my way to a 12.6, better driving should see 12.1 or so.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
12.8 @ 109 is possible. Maybe he comes out of the hole well but shifts slowly, especially into 4th.

I ran the following times on the same day:
12.825 at 110.85
12.895 at 110.61
12.785 at 110.79

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
his numbers do seem a bit low, but i don't doubt his story. shifting into 3rd at 50 mph is not the best case scenario with these cars, so maybe it took a while to reel him in. i don't think stock c6's are dynoing what the terminators have been, stock for stock, and this guys' mods make the story believable.
a downshift to 3rd at 80mph seems to hit the perfect powerband for a cobra with stock gears. i took down a c6 vette on the freeway from 75-125mph when my only mods were CAI and catback

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
yeah drivers come into play as well, the C6 might not be a great driver but over 130mph i would think it would be vette making up ground that it might have lost from 80-100mph

i don't think stock c6's are dynoing what the terminators have been, stock for stock, and this guys' mods make the story believable

naw i dont think its really close... i havent seen C6 Vette dynos but LS2 GTO's are making 330-340rwhp stock. vette should be 340rwhp as well maybe 350. cobras are closer to 380rwhp and mild mods over 400

but the superior weight advantage helps the vette at the lower mph's. after awhile, torque helps push the air during high mphs, at least thats what i have seen.

FireredSVT

03 Cobra
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
With a 109mph trap I don't see this happening. Hell my friend has an automatic LS1 T/A with nothing but headers and lid and it ran 107mph. Sorry I gotta throw up the :bs: here.

A '99 w/ 4:10's might not be any match for a C6 but don't hate. The numbers in my sig are before most of the mods. I don't have updated #'s yet, they are just what the car has done. At 6500 feet you are going to lose a little more than our friends at sea level. The race was purely for fun, win or lose, and 100% true. :beer:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
FireredSVT said:
A '99 w/ 4:10's might not be any match for a C6 but don't hate.

What's a 99 w/ 4.10's have to do with you lying about your story?

FireredSVT

03 Cobra
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
What's a 99 w/ 4.10's have to do with you lying about your story?

No lie here Sir. I'm not concerned with your opinion on the truthfullness of my story, because it is obvious you don't know what you are talking about. That's not why I posted it. People post these stories so that others can read and share a good race. Unfortunately there is always a Hater like you in every forum that just can't give love for a good kill which is the real :bs: . Believe it or don't but it's true. :rockon:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I'm sorry dude but if the C6 kicked it first and then you kicked it and pasted him pretty quick then the C6 must have thought he down shifted into 3rd when he really down shifted into 5th. A stock C6 should trap higher than your trap.

96 GoldBird

96 GoldBird
Established Member
Hard to believe he couldn't catch you at the top. My C5 topped out on the dyno at 182 mph in 3rd (auto). It did take a helluva long time to get there though. 2.73 gears would explain that.

My impression after driving the C5 for a year is that the vette is not built for racing straight line. It's comfort zone is around 80-90mph in second in the twisties. Hell, mine only turns mid 13's in the 1/4, but it's bone stock with an auto trans. My '96 turned mid 13's N/A, and that's a 4000 pound car.

Z06's are obviously a lot more car than my C5, but they're still built for zig zagging and a lot of comfort.

-mike

Last edited:

bunk22

Established Member
Having owned both cars, a modified 03 Cobra and now a slightly modified C6, I think his story is believable. If I had raced my 03 Cobra against my C6 when it had a 2.93 pulley, cat-back, cai and tune, it would have pulled the C6, even at speed. There are slightly different versions of the C6 as well. The Z51, non-Z51, auto and mn6. The quickest times everyone sees are the Z51, mn6 times. Looking at some of the times for the C6 however, many many guys are running very similar times to the 03/04 Cobra. Very few are quicker and it probably boils down to track and driver. My C6 has a cat-back (zero gain), an intake (zero gain) and a tune. With that tune, it gained 4 mph and .2 in the 1/8th. I think things like TM (some don't believe it hurts performance or doesn't exist) definitely hurt performance.

FireredSVT

03 Cobra
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
I'm sorry dude but if the C6 kicked it first and then you kicked it and pasted him pretty quick then the C6 must have thought he down shifted into 3rd when he really down shifted into 5th. A stock C6 should trap higher than your trap.

Honestly I was expecting him to catch me up top too. I had two friends in the car and that is what we all thought. I'm not sure if he missed a gear, it is possible. I'm not sure of my updated trap speed, but I passed and he couldn't run me down. I would imagine that it would have been a more dramatic drop back if he had missed a gear, it was a slow pull past him. After falling behind about a car and a half he stayed there. After a good 30-45 seconds around 155-160mph we shut down.

primetime

Established Member
96 GoldBird said:
Z06's are obviously a lot more car than my C5, but they're still built for zig zagging and a lot of comfort.

-mike

LOL! Corvettes built for a lot of comfort! Are you serious? I almost spit my coffee up when I read that. Not flaming Vettes as I love them, but they are not known for their creature comforts. later Ron

Users who are viewing this thread