Cost of living in OK ??

SVT04

Established Member
What's the cost of living like in Oklahoma ? Shawnee and area is one spot I'm curious about. And what kind of living would $53,000 yearly be in that area ?? Just curious.

wythors

Needs a bigger garage
Established Member
For $53k you can live like a king in Oklahoma. My best friend lives in OKC. He and his wife have an almost new 3000+ sf rambler on a corner lot with a swimming pool and a two car garage in a really nice neighborhood. They paid $160,000 for it three years ago. If that house was in my neighborhood in the Seattle area, it would be $650,000+++.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I was just in Norman, Ok last month. Place was clean as a whistle, no graffiti or trash in the streets. You want to see filth go to Baltimore City, you have to take a shower after driving through some of those neighborhoods.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
I'm in Tulsa and rent a house in the historical district for a decent price. THe cost of living here is awesomely affordable. Hardly any restrictions for what you do to your car also. Tulsa is actually quite a bit more expensive than most of the surrounding suburbs though. Look into Broken Arrow if you want a clean town with a great school district.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
wythors said:
For $53k you can live like a king in Oklahoma. My best friend lives in OKC. He and his wife have an almost new 3000+ sf rambler on a corner lot with a swimming pool and a two car garage in a really nice neighborhood. They paid $160,000 for it three years ago. If that house was in my neighborhood in the Seattle area, it would be $650,000+++.

I wouldn't go that far. 53k will get you a decent middle class life, but you won't have much left over at all. And if you have kids on that income, it will be really tough.

wythors

Needs a bigger garage
Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
I wouldn't go that far. 53k will get you a decent middle class life, but you won't have much left over at all. And if you have kids on that income, it will be really tough.

Branch out and look at what the cost of living is in most cities on the coasts. In most major metropolitan areas on either coast, 53k is barely enough for a single person to rent an almost decent apartment and pay the bills. Add a family and you're using food stamps. My buddy and his wife have a combined income of about $100k and live as well as anyone I know here that makes three times as much.

90slow50

90slow5.0
Established Member
I lived in OK for almost 23 years. It is one of the cheapest states in the union to live in. I have friends who, out of college, bought nice houses 20 years old for a little less than $100,000 in Tulsa. Houses are probably 1600 sq. ft, and need some TLC but for a $700 mortgage it's hard to beat. Good luck in your housing venture...

TallOkie

Guess Im a Vette guy now
Established Member
I make $49,500, can afford both the Lightning and the daily driver, and have a pretty decent rental house.....$53,000 should do you real well around the OKC metro...just stay out of edmond, moore isnt too bad I hear

MysssticGhost

Go Sooners!
Established Member
i grew up in Broken Arrow, and i now live in Va. the cost of living is great in OK vise Va. i live in OK for 18 years and would love to go back and live there. but military does not afford me that option. good luck with your endeavors.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I spend alot of time in OK and it seems like 53k should get you by decent. I like it down there alot, been considering moving down to Venita, miami, in that area. Or possibly down by Muskogee.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
wythors said:
Branch out and look at what the cost of living is in most cities on the coasts. In most major metropolitan areas on either coast, 53k is barely enough for a single person to rent an almost decent apartment and pay the bills. Add a family and you're using food stamps. My buddy and his wife have a combined income of about $100k and live as well as anyone I know here that makes three times as much.

Yes, they have a combined income of 100K, of course they are doing well. 53k in OK won't allow you to "live like a king". Sorry.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete said:
I was just in Norman, Ok last month. Place was clean as a whistle, no graffiti or trash in the streets. You want to see filth go to Baltimore City, you have to take a shower after driving through some of those neighborhoods.
x2

OhIIICobra

Established Member
The cost of living is very low. I'm moving back to Norman when I retire from the military. The weather sucks, but it is a great state. People are friendly and have a spirt of cooperation that I haven't seen anywhere else I've lived.:rockon:

OhIIICobra

Established Member
TallOkie said:
I make $49,500, can afford both the Lightning and the daily driver, and have a pretty decent rental house.....$53,000 should do you real well around the OKC metro...just stay out of edmond, moore isnt too bad I hear

+1. When I lived in Norman in 2004 I made $50K and had a new $120K house, 03 Cobra, 01 F-150, and 00 Dodge 1500 all with notes. Had no problem covering my expenses and having plenty left over to save / have fun.

Moore has some bad luck with tornados, they seem to get hit most frequently of any town in the OKC metro area.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Wow, you guys make me want to move out there. The cost of living down here in northern part of VA is ridiculous. We had to look further south to find lower prices on houses. We got lucky and found a new development going up and got in at a good price. And we are only moving 40 miles from where we are now and the price difference in the house we bought would almost be double in the area I'm at now. At hate being near D.C., it's the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread