Could Some one help my brother out

01RedLightning

EATON HEMI'S!!
Established Member
My brother is looking at an F-250, we just went and looked at one but there was nothing saying if it's an 6.0L or a 7.3. He wants a 7.3L tried calling the guy got his voicemail. SO I was wondering if someone could run a carfax? The VIN is: 1FTNW21F2XEC14245. Or is there a way that you can tell just from the VIN? He likes it and all so we'll see. Just figured I ask because there are a lot of cool dudes on this site. :thumbsup: Thank

mifordman

Established Member
what year is it....that would probably be the easiest way to tell, i think 05 was the year that they swtiched to the 6.0L

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Look in roadside, Matt has a sticky at the top where he can run a carfax for you

Dusten

Established Member
What year. They switched in 03 to the 6liter, and the 7.3 was an option. Anything older than 03 and it is a 7.3, anything newer than 03 and it is a 6.0. If it is an 03, you can look for a few identifything things under the hood, or just look at the powerstroke badge on the door. If it is chrome and red, 6.0, black and chrome, 7.3

In edit, i just went to carfax(you can run the vin for free and see what year it is), it is a 1999. It is a 7.3 liter. Are the powerstroke badges on the fender, or the door? Stay away from 99's with the badges on the fender, they made alot of changes mid year, and switched the badges too

Last edited:

boomr

Established Member
The tenth digit in the vin designates the engine, but here ya go:

1FTNW21F2XEC14245

VEHICLE INFORMATION

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
1999 F-SERIES

BODY STYLE
F-250 CREW CAB 4X4

ENGINE
7.3L TURBO - DI

TRANSMISSION
4R100 (E4OD) 4SP O/D

01RedLightning

EATON HEMI'S!!
Established Member
Thanks everyone for all the help, if i thought I mentioned it it's a 1999 maroon red, quad cab and an 8 foot bed. Suckers BIG. The guys asking 14,000 for it my brother wants to talk him down between 12-13,000. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Thanks once again. This site rocks.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Derek, they are junk out of the box. I don't have time to tell you all the problems they have.

01RedLightning

EATON HEMI'S!!
Established Member
yes I know and he knows, he's been looking and looking, a 7.3L is the only way we'll go. I am waiting for matt to carfax it for me, and were going to talk to the guy today. We'll see how it goes.

boomr

Established Member
The 6.0L has and had some concerns, ie: blowing gaskets, leaking injectors, driveability issues, pcm/calibration reflashes, egr concerns, turbo concerns, they have gotten better as the years have gone by, but also the 6.0L is slated for extinction, to be replaced by a 6.4L.

Breakin10s

Rookie SVT Poster
Established Member
the 6.0 are way faster than the 7.3. But i did hear the 7.3 are stronger and last longer.

BlownBolt

Doesn't Care
Established Member
boomr said:
The 6.0L has and had some concerns, ie: blowing gaskets, leaking injectors, driveability issues, pcm/calibration reflashes, egr concerns, turbo concerns, they have gotten better as the years have gone by, but also the 6.0L is slated for extinction, to be replaced by a 6.4L.
Actually its a 6.4 twin turbo, with 350hp 650ft lbs.

BlownBolt

Doesn't Care
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Derek, they are junk out of the box. I don't have time to tell you all the problems they have.
I work at a ford dealership the ones that they are having problems with are the ones that are babied. The ones that are beat and run hard run good. Kinda weird? :smmon:

loweredf1

Established Member
i have 05 6.0 blew head gasket at 30k tranny clutches went out at 40k and twisted the pinion off at 45k makin 35lbs boost with edge tuner junk piles but fast machines for 1ton

Users who are viewing this thread