Couple newb questions.

ExTurbo

Established Member
So, my cousin just picked up a newer mach (2003 i think) and wants to do some bolt ons. He found a video on youtube of an exhaust that he really likes

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqomJAm-uic&feature=related"]YouTube - 2003 Mustang Mach 1 Exhaust[/ame]

he loves the way this car sounds and wants to buy this setup. From what i can see its just stock manifolds, O/R X and a mac catback. Coming from the GTO/LSx community i dont know much about boltons for these cars so im hoping some of you guys might be able to point me in the direction of a good online store in the northeast area (were from jersey.) I Told him to come sign up here as this is the best mustang site i know.

Couple quick questions,

How much do headers normally run, and what kind of power gains do you guys normally get?

I know the normal boltons like an intake, are a given, and i know just from seeing mod lists most guys do a TB and plenum, is there anything else thats just a bolt on thats good for a few HP?

just for kicks what is the prefered short shifter for these cars? I hear alot of guys go with the Pro 5.0 shifters but honestly im a bit out of the loop.

Id appreciate any help you guys can give :beer:

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Have him sign up or at least read the posts at Mach1registry.
Headers, go longtubes if your looking for power, the stock manifolds are the same as the cobra and flow pretty well until you're pushing alot of power.
TB will only give throttle response at lower power levels.
MGW short throw FTW. I replaced my Pro 5.0 with the MGW and couldn't have been happier.

I just sold my mach but I ran a HP intake spacer, Bassani catted x-pipe, magnapack catback, Accufab TB, C&L intake and 4.10's.

The 4.10's were the single best mod. Was putting down 297/319.

ExTurbo

Established Member
thanks for the help man, i'll have him sign up for sure. he's a big fan of anything fast and just getting into it so im tryin to help him out where i can. I have 3.91's in my goat so i know the gears make a huge difference, especially in a heavy car like mine. Do you reccomend any online stores that he can check out? preferably something with a decent selection? I know SLP has an online store and is farly local to me, im jsut not a huge fan of the loudmouth on any car (tends to be tooo loud for my taste).

Thanks again for the response

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I got my exhaust and some other goodies from LFP (LightingForcePerformance). If you go that route, call them to place an order and ask for Mark, on the phone price is better than the advertised online price. He's always beaten the delivered price of just about anywhere and the customer service has been awesome.

Intake spacer from PHP (Pauls High Performance, not HP that I miswrote earlier). Joe at Parkway Ford (in GA) has some good deals right now, especially if you wanted reallllllllly nice gears. http://mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56
ITLRUN is Joe Charles at parkway.

I don't know of any brick and mortar stores in your area but I'm sure someone on the Mach1registry can point you in a direction.

FEARED

Established Member
i run SLP cat back on mine, and i love the way it sounds. IM also getting a MGW shifter in a few weeks.

Also like you said, an intake is NEEDED.

But yea, if he does some research on the registry, he can find anything there. Y

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
As an added note I went with the C&L to allow the addition of a 2pt strut tower brace. I believe it's possible to use the K&N full set up with a 2pt, I know it's not possible with a JLT, not to mention I was not happy with the fit and finish of the JLT that I had.

Users who are viewing this thread