Couple of Questions for the Guru's Here

jspalmer01

Established Member
Hey everyone....

1. Is there a website that explains step by step how to remove the instrument cluster in our fox cobras? Need to fix a couple of illumination lights.

2. What is the process to flush the power steering fluid?

Thanks in advance...

buddha93

Established Member
It's not too terribly bad, but you do have to pull everything apart to get to it all. Once you pull the steering column cover, and the dash panel below it, you'll see where to go from there. You can actually reach the backside of the IP guages, but figuring which bulb is fried is another deal.

As far as the PS, I don't know the "correct" process, but I just always unhooked down low, worked the tires back and forth a few times and hooked everything back up. I'm sure there is a way to put the system under a vaccum to prevent air pockets when refilling, and might be just as easy (and less messy) to let a pro have at it.

jspalmer01

Established Member
buddha93 said:
It's not too terribly bad, but you do have to pull everything apart to get to it all. Once you pull the steering column cover, and the dash panel below it, you'll see where to go from there. You can actually reach the backside of the IP guages, but figuring which bulb is fried is another deal.

As far as the PS, I don't know the "correct" process, but I just always unhooked down low, worked the tires back and forth a few times and hooked everything back up. I'm sure there is a way to put the system under a vaccum to prevent air pockets when refilling, and might be just as easy (and less messy) to let a pro have at it.

Thanks buddha. Bump for any additional comments from anyone.

cobra93

Established Member
John,

I will scan the Ford manual for you. It is not great, but should help with dash.

From the Ford manual regarding power steering flushing...

1. Make sure all other hoses are connected, then disconnedct the pressure line at the gear.

2. Place the line in a container.

3. Fill the reservoir with fluid.

4. Disconnect the ignition coil wire.

5. While adding approximately 1.9 liters (0.5 gallon) of fluid, turn igniition to ON position, and crank the engine with the starter. As soon as all fluid has been added, turn ignition to the OFF position.

6. Attach the pressure hose at the gear.

7. Check the fluid level.

8. Crank the engine with the starter and add fluid until the level remains constant.

9. Lower the vehicle and connect the ignition coil wire.

10. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock to expel any air trapped in the system. This will restore normal steering action.

jspalmer01

Established Member
cobra93 said:
John,

I will scan the Ford manual for you. It is not great, but should help with dash.

From the Ford manual regarding power steering flushing...

1. Make sure all other hoses are connected, then disconnedct the pressure line at the gear.

2. Place the line in a container.

3. Fill the reservoir with fluid.

4. Disconnect the ignition coil wire.

5. While adding approximately 1.9 liters (0.5 gallon) of fluid, turn igniition to ON position, and crank the engine with the starter. As soon as all fluid has been added, turn ignition to the OFF position.

6. Attach the pressure hose at the gear.

7. Check the fluid level.

8. Crank the engine with the starter and add fluid until the level remains constant.

9. Lower the vehicle and connect the ignition coil wire.

10. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock to expel any air trapped in the system. This will restore normal steering action.

Thanks Marc. Talk to you soon.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Dont for get to remove that speedo cable, if you plan on removing the cluster completly.

I let mine hooked up and pushed as much slack that I could just enough to get my hand behind there for the bulb access.

Users who are viewing this thread