couple of questions.

Ba1dw1n

Established Member
Okay a little backstory before my questions, i have a 99 gt with a complete dropout from a 03 cobra, engine, trans, every wire harness, fuel tank, instrument cluster, ecu ect ect, only difference is i have a solid rear axle, anyways, this was an insurance total purchased from an auction, engine came modded, kenne bell blower, boost-a-pump, 60lb injectors, diablo sport "mafia" maf sensor switch set to #4, and a sct eliminator chip (6600) installed on the ecu. theoretically if the engine was tuned right before the crash it should be still tuned. it was totaled for being smashed and "biohazard" which is blood and what not so im assuming the owner didnt mess with it after the crash. also the supercharger has since been professionally rebuilt. i have a AEM wideband on it along with a AEM boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge, So when i try to get on it (1/2 throttle or more), it immediately back-fires out the exhaust. it happens so quick i cant really get an accurate air fuel ratio, but fuel pressure appears fine and boost definitely goes up, i think if i held the throttle down which im not going to it will probably stall or blow up. engine seems to run fine as long as you putt around. So i thought since them eliminator chips can have different programs on them and maybe if i bought the switch to change the setting since it was either removed or never had one on it maybe it was just on the stock tune, but when i installed the chip, there is no tune on #1,2,3,5,6,7. fuel pump only kicks on at #0 and #4, i couldn't attempt starting it with the chip installed since it was late at night. this leads me to my first question.

#1 when you turn the ignition on with a stock tune without starting the car is the shift light supposed to come on?

because when i turn the igniton on before i installed the switch and after i installed the switch turned to the #0 position it does not come on, when i turn it to #4 it will come on leading me to believe #4 is the stock tune. the traction control light will also not turn on in #0 making me think its turned off in the tune.

#2 back to the back firing, if my tune is good, and fuel pumps are good, the boost-a-pump does read 17ish volts and is installed correctly, assuming supercharged is installed correctly and not leaking since boost jumps right up and the bypass valve does work. what are some caused of this? i checked the tps sensor with livelink and it works perfect. there is no codes when i check and no check engine lights on. the mafia maf sensor unit had its little rubber cover on so im assuming no one changed the setting, any ideas will help but i got the feeling im just going to have to get it it dyno tuned sooner than i wanted to. thanks for reading my wall-of-text
20170405_220046.jpg

Speeders

Established Member
Okay a little backstory before my questions, i have a 99 gt with a complete dropout from a 03 cobra, engine, trans, every wire harness, fuel tank, instrument cluster, ecu ect ect, only difference is i have a solid rear axle, anyways, this was an insurance total purchased from an auction, engine came modded, kenne bell blower, boost-a-pump, 60lb injectors, diablo sport "mafia" maf sensor switch set to #4, and a sct eliminator chip (6600) installed on the ecu. theoretically if the engine was tuned right before the crash it should be still tuned. it was totaled for being smashed and "biohazard" which is blood and what not so im assuming the owner didnt mess with it after the crash. also the supercharger has since been professionally rebuilt. i have a AEM wideband on it along with a AEM boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge, So when i try to get on it (1/2 throttle or more), it immediately back-fires out the exhaust. it happens so quick i cant really get an accurate air fuel ratio, but fuel pressure appears fine and boost definitely goes up, i think if i held the throttle down which im not going to it will probably stall or blow up. engine seems to run fine as long as you putt around. So i thought since them eliminator chips can have different programs on them and maybe if i bought the switch to change the setting since it was either removed or never had one on it maybe it was just on the stock tune, but when i installed the chip, there is no tune on #1,2,3,5,6,7. fuel pump only kicks on at #0 and #4, i couldn't attempt starting it with the chip installed since it was late at night. this leads me to my first question.

#1 when you turn the ignition on with a stock tune without starting the car is the shift light supposed to come on?

because when i turn the igniton on before i installed the switch and after i installed the switch turned to the #0 position it does not come on, when i turn it to #4 it will come on leading me to believe #4 is the stock tune. the traction control light will also not turn on in #0 making me think its turned off in the tune.

#2 back to the back firing, if my tune is good, and fuel pumps are good, the boost-a-pump does read 17ish volts and is installed correctly, assuming supercharged is installed correctly and not leaking since boost jumps right up and the bypass valve does work. what are some caused of this? i checked the tps sensor with livelink and it works perfect. there is no codes when i check and no check engine lights on. the mafia maf sensor unit had its little rubber cover on so im assuming no one changed the setting, any ideas will help but i got the feeling im just going to have to get it it dyno tuned sooner than i wanted to. thanks for reading my wall-of-text View attachment 87002

Does the car have stock fuel pump?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
You might hit up Malcolmv8 for a remote tune. If you have a wideband he should be able to tune it and it'll be cheaper than a dyno tune.

I'm 99% sure the backfire is a lean condition so don't go WOT anymore. You'd assume everything was right before the crash so I'd check for maybe a bent or kinked fuel line.

If you could find someone with tuning software and a Jaybird and probably a quarterhorse you could have them look at the tunes for you. If you were close I'd pull the tunes off as its always interesting to see what other tuners have done.

Ba1dw1n

Established Member
You might hit up Malcolmv8 for a remote tune. If you have a wideband he should be able to tune it and it'll be cheaper than a dyno tune.

I'm 99% sure the backfire is a lean condition so don't go WOT anymore. You'd assume everything was right before the crash so I'd check for maybe a bent or kinked fuel line.

If you could find someone with tuning software and a Jaybird and probably a quarterhorse you could have them look at the tunes for you. If you were close I'd pull the tunes off as its always interesting to see what other tuners have done.
thanks for the reply, been sick as hell the last few days finally made my way outside today. went to best buy for a firewire cable to hook my gauges to my sct x3 and they dont sell them anymore. wasted hour drive.. anyways ordered one on amazon, i might contact that guy about a remote tune that you have mentioned or atleast upload a datalog and get some opinions here

Ba1dw1n

Established Member
So my late night in the garage revealed I have my spark plugs gapped at .55. They are ngk tr55ix. From what i read they should be gapped at. 35 would this cause my engine to miss back fire stall when I try and get on it? Can if simply regap these? They were out of a 2v gt with only a few thousand miles on them. But figured they would work... Lol

Ba1dw1n

Established Member
update.
new plugs was the problem, plug gap was way to big causing severe spark blowout whenever in boost. its amazing how much power these things can make! I think my rear end is in need of a rebuild because it seems to want to smoke the right rear, rear end does have 160k on it. but after a few small hits on some country roads a u-joint clip must of came out because i lost a bearing cap, was slowing down to pull into my neighborhood luckily but it did make the most awful vibration ever, i expected to get out and see a wheel sideways or axle coming out. fortunately i had a spare u-joint and was up and running within a hour and that includes walking home .

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Cool you got it sorted out! I just changed my plugs and thought about gapping down from .028, but I've never noticed any spark blow out. Most generally go .026 on 20+lbs I believe.

Ba1dw1n

Established Member
Cool you got it sorted out! I just changed my plugs and thought about gapping down from .028, but I've never noticed any spark blow out. Most generally go .026 on 20+lbs I believe.

what gap you recommend for 17lbs of boost? i put them at .34 only drove the car a few miles though so i dont know if i was having any issues yet.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
what gap you recommend for 17lbs of boost? i put them at .34 only drove the car a few miles though so i dont know if i was having any issues yet.
Might be alright, otherwise .032

Ba1dw1n

Established Member
my plugs fouled out at .035 after a few miles, re-gaped them to .030 and the car is a beast, unfortunately my newly rebuild kenne bell 2.2 is leaking supercharger oil bad into the engine, i noticed it when i pulled a pcv hose off tracking down a rough idle. good thing is jon bond is paying for shipping both ways but considering this is the second time in a month its going back for warranty work.. im beginning to questions his whole operation. but this gives me time to get my new hood painted and work on a few other kinks and be ready for summer.

One thing i did notice my belt squeaked for a fraction of a second when i go WOT and then just a second when i let off, im assuming its the supercharger slipping? anyone else experience minor slippage like that? i guess it could be one of the other pulleys slipping.

bigmoose

Established Member
How does pulling the PVC hose tell you it's leaking oil? I would imagine you'd notice by monitoring the oil stick.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Ba1dw1n

Established Member
There was blue supercharger oil coated in the pc v. That's Jon bonds house supercharger oil that he uses and supplied me. Also they oil was down after less than 20 miles. When I pulled the supercharger everything was coated with it.

Ba1dw1n

Established Member
Note the blue oil. There was alot pooled in the lower intake

Attachments

• 20170415_221439.jpg
    20170415_221439.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 60

bigmoose

Established Member
Yeah that sure is a tell take. My original 2.2 is still going strong without issue. Knock on wood.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Ba1dw1n

Established Member
Finally appears I got my car all ready for the street. I have a aem x series boost gauge installed. According to it I had 19.8 lbs of boost my last trip. I have a 2.2 generation 1 kenne Bell it has been modified to run a single blade throttle body because the idle controler is on the back with all plate blocking the top. 3 inch Pulley, does that boost lvl sound accurate?

Users who are viewing this thread