Couple of TKO 600 ?'s

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
SO who is running one and what are your thoughts on it? Also does anyone know how much it will cost to get a proshifted TKO from promotion?

My clutch is shot and I was thinking about stepping up to the new TKO600 for strength purposes but needed to know how it feels and drives.

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Well, I have a new TKO 500 that came with the bigger shafts. They are actually the same size as the TKO 600. Anyways, not sure if there is a big difference between the two, but if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have just went to a T56. For some reason, it doesn't like to shift at redline. It shifts perfectly fine anywhere else, so I'm hoping that it's just the shifter. By the way, the shifter sucks. But luckily, MGW just finished with their TKO model so I'm bout to buy one and see if it helps.

RioRed4v

Established Member
killspray said:
Well, I have a new TKO 500 that came with the bigger shafts. They are actually the same size as the TKO 600. Anyways, not sure if there is a big difference between the two, but if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have just went to a T56. For some reason, it doesn't like to shift at redline. It shifts perfectly fine anywhere else, so I'm hoping that it's just the shifter. By the way, the shifter sucks. But luckily, MGW just finished with their TKO model so I'm bout to buy one and see if it helps.

heard that about alot of tremec's. my old 3550 didnt like to shift at redline either.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
bigpapa said:
Do you fully understand what a proshifted trans is?

Yes I do.

killspray said:

Well it is either buy all the parts to bulletproof mine or sell the cobra, buy a truck & trailer, and buy my friends race ready notchback. I'm just so pissed about dumping money ito this car but i love the way it feels to drive it. More than likely I will get a T-56, SFI bellhousing, Mcloud twin disc, and billet steel flywheel setup.

NXSVTCOBRA

i was talking with Wally @ promotion about this the other day, im gonna be looking at more than $2k for a pro-shifted TKO alone, what are your final plans for your car?

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Sprayed_Pony said:
i was talking with Wally @ promotion about this the other day, im gonna be looking at more than $2k for a pro-shifted TKO alone, what are your final plans for your car?

Well after x-mas i will be looking for a truck to tow the car with. then after summer i will be looking into building the engine and a custom turbo setup, so i guess you can say full drag car.

Do you remember how much it was for the tranny alone, so i can get a idea of how much the full setup will be.

NXSVTCOBRA

that was the tranny alone, call them and find out, but if you dont plan on spinning the motor past 7200 rpms (which you shouldn't have to w/ a turbo) a synchronized box will do you good, then that'll save some cash over going with a pro-shifted unit, proshifted transmissions are expensive, why not look into having an automatic built if you're going turbo?

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Sprayed_Pony said:
that was the tranny alone, call them and find out, but if you dont plan on spinning the motor past 7200 rpms (which you shouldn't have to w/ a turbo) a synchronized box will do you good, then that'll save some cash over going with a pro-shifted unit, proshifted transmissions are expensive, why not look into having an automatic built if you're going turbo?

I'm going to when i do the turbo setup until then shifting gears is fun. humm i shift right now at about 7100, also i'm gearing the cobra with 4.56's until next summer. I will give Wally a call tomorrow and see what he thinks. I just need something that is more reliable than this shitty ass 3650.

F-Body-Fear

Established Member
I put a TKO 600(5008) in my car the same time I put in the 9 inch. The tranny, when new, shifts very stiff in comparison to the T45. I had a problem with it getting stuck in reverse and 2nd when I tried shifting out of those gears from a stand still. My clutch was disengaging all the way but I mistakenly put in the wrong GM synchromesh P/N fluid. I have about 1500 miles in the car and swapped out the synchromesh for Amsoil. It shift much better now. I took it to the track this weekend and power shifted 2nd and 3rd without missing a beat. The shifter it comes with is made by B&M, I feel the throw is too long. My next mod will be a Tri-ax which I thought worked awesome in my T45. Too bad they were not interchangeable.

I installed a Spec Stage II clutch keeping the original flywheel, I just broke the glaze with an orbital sander. The clutch grab great, even with the 315 DR's I can bark 4th. The clutch still chatter like a Mofo, especially in reverse.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
If you really want a Proshifted TKO, I have a buddy who is selling his . PM me if interested. I don't remember how much he wants, but I remember it was real cheap ($1,300 I think).

Users who are viewing this thread