Couple Q's about nitrous

rocket5979

Established Member
hey you remember me from lvc. lol. i have run this same kit on throttle by wire cars as well so ive had good experiences with it. i do understand why some people need the tps switch as a fail safe. i personally do not. as far as tune, i guess i assumed he was stock which is is my bad. although i have in the past on my twin turbo s4(thottle by wire)and a fox body mustang run a wet kit with an aftermarket tune that obviously wasnt setup for nitrous. just went colder on the plug and called nos about jetting and went slightly richer than normal, wet kits are in a way already "tuned". i was trying to help him save money and simplify things but i do see what your saying which is kinda why i said nitrous isnt for everybody. rocket, you got a new stang now too?

Yep, I remember you. The unique screen name gives it away.

There are some people that get lucky with using micro's on TBW cars, but I would NEVER do it to anyone's TBW car I will ever work on. As Chuck@Evolution mentioned there are just too many nannies that come in between what the pedal position is and what the actual throttle position is. That was what I was alluding to when I said that there is more than just TCS that interferes with the relative position, or lack thereof, between the two.

Nope still rocking the twin turbo Pontiac G8. I just do allot of work and custom tuning on Fords so I frequent the various Ford high performance forums providing tech advice and buying parts for current and future projects. I wouldn't mind having a Coyote though. Leaps and bound better looking and performing than the boring 05-09 S-197's! The wife would kill me if I bought another car. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CoreyHM1

Established Member
Thanks guys, i got the kit today. Now my question is, what do i need to tap in for fuel? Also with my C&L intake i should get a reducer for the nozzel or bigger threaded nozzel?

Last edited:

kirbyg16

Established Member
DO NOT MOUNT A MECHANICAL SWITCH TO THE PEDAL!

The reason is what happens when you are floored and hit the limiter? The ECU, will close the throttle. This means that the nitrous will still be flowing, but the throttle will be closed.

The TPS signal on the new 5.0 is actually read on 2 wires. There is a rising voltage signal, just like on all the older Mustangs, and a falling voltage signal.

Unfortunately, the rising voltage wire actually reads full voltage from about half throttle and up. That means if you use that wire, the nitrous can activate at half throttle.

The falling voltage wire (brown if I remember correctly) is the wire you need to use, but your controller has to be able to read the signal correctly.

The problem with the zex kit is it only works on the rising voltage wire and fires at half throttle without a window switch, which is why I am selling my zex box and going with a traditional solenoid set up. I am going to use a pedal switch but I am also running a window switch, which in my opinion should be the main safety feature you buy. Also have your tuner tune all the traction control stuff out for your nitrous tune.

Users who are viewing this thread