Couple Q's about nitrous

CoreyHM1

Established Member
I'm about to buy a wet kit, im thinking about spraying a 75 shot.

Its the NX proton kit, with the tps switch. I want this to be safe, anyone have a bama nitrous tune here?

I've searched but really cant find much info at all from someone else spraying

CPRsm

The guy I spoke to over at NX had the TPS switch on his and he took it off. Said that about 50-60% throttle it would trigger the switch. Like his mechanical on the pedal much more. That's how I installed it.

kirbyg16

Established Member
The guy I spoke to over at NX had the TPS switch on his and he took it off. Said that about 50-60% throttle it would trigger the switch. Like his mechanical on the pedal much more. That's how I installed it.

I wonder which wire he was using the brown wire or the green/purple stripe one.
I know my zex kit came with a resistor wire that your supposed to wire in with it to keep the check engine lights off (there instructions). I wonder if that resistor wire helps the signal though.

alex12gt

Established Member
I would just get a plate kit from nx or the one late model sells makes the install cleaner and easyier i ran a tps and rpm switch from dynotune on a friends 07with and it worked great

rocket5979

Established Member
Skip the tps switch. Mount the WOT switch to the pedal so it comes on at true WOT.

That is a horrible idea on a TBW car. Here's a scenario for you. Your foot is to the floor thus activating the nitrous but traction control, etc is interfering with actually having the throttle body be at full WOT. Now you have a situation where you are spraying nitrous into an engine that is not wide open throttle. Very bad idea. With a TBW vehicle you need to do the rising (or falling) voltage referencing TPS switch that you wire into the TPS. If we were talking about an older car with a throttle cable then I would have no issue with you suggesting the OP mount a simple WOT microswitch to the gas pedal itself because it would be virtually identical to if he mounted it to the TB itself; due to the mechanical linkage connecting them.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member

Then he didn't have it adjusted correctly. Some do a WOT learning process while others are simply an adjustable potentiometer that you screw in with a screw driver until the circuit closes, then back off a turn. I have been building and tuning nitrous systems for a long time now and have wired in many different nitrous controllers so please don't think I am just some member talking out of his ass here.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
I'm about to buy a wet kit, im thinking about spraying a 75 shot.

Its the NX proton kit, with the tps switch. I want this to be safe, anyone have a bama nitrous tune here?

I've searched but really cant find much info at all from someone else spraying

Sorry for so many separate posts here. I should have just multi-quoted. OP I suggest that you get a RPM window switch in addition to the TPS WOT switch. This will ensure that your nitrous system only sprays in a set RPM range in addition to only when the throttlebody is actually at WOT.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Check out the Nitrous Outlet plate kit with hardlines, they make an awesoem nitrous kit. Defiently get a WOT switch and window switch though.

D.T.R

Established Member
That is a horrible idea on a TBW car. Here's a scenario for you. Your foot is to the floor thus activating the nitrous but traction control, etc is interfering with actually having the throttle body be at full WOT. Now you have a situation where you are spraying nitrous into an engine that is not wide open throttle. Very bad idea. With a TBW vehicle you need to do the rising (or falling) voltage referencing TPS switch that you wire into the TPS. If we were talking about an older car with a throttle cable then I would have no issue with you suggesting the OP mount a simple WOT microswitch to the gas pedal itself because it would be virtually identical to if he mounted it to the TB itself; due to the mechanical linkage connecting them.

Then he didn't have it adjusted correctly. Some do a WOT learning process while others are simply an adjustable potentiometer that you screw in with a screw driver until the circuit closes, then back off a turn. I have been building and tuning nitrous systems for a long time now and have wired in many different nitrous controllers so please don't think I am just some member talking out of his ass here.

Good info here.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
if your spraying nitrous your traction control should be off. i agree with the pedal switch . ive done that on numerous cars and it works great. install a master power switch then a microswitch under the gas pedal so you have to floor the car then press your toe down to hit it or floor it real hard. without the power switch on it wont spray . and honestly you dont need a tune for a 75 wet kit. just a colder plug will be fine. nitrous isnt for everyone and alot of people think you need a kit and all the junk they sell to make nitrous for the everyday guy. its actually very simple if you know what your doing. i dont use window switches or tps switches. i just want it to turn on when i hit the switch and turn off when i let off. spray it from start to finish.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
if your spraying nitrous your traction control should be off. i agree with the pedal switch . ive done that on numerous cars and it works great. install a master power switch then a microswitch under the gas pedal so you have to floor the car then press your toe down to hit it or floor it real hard. without the power switch on it wont spray . and honestly you dont need a tune for a 75 wet kit. just a colder plug will be fine. nitrous isnt for everyone and alot of people think you need a kit and all the junk they sell to make nitrous for the everyday guy. its actually very simple if you know what your doing. i dont use window switches or tps switches. i just want it to turn on when i hit the switch and turn off when i let off. spray it from start to finish.

There is more than just traction control that interferes between gas pedal input and actual throttle body angle in a TBW car. Let alone the fact that people do forget to turn the TC off when preparing for a race so even though people "should" have turned it off doesn't mean they will remember to all the time. Put a microswitch under the pedal of a TBW car and you are asking for trouble. Some people get lucky with this for a while but eventually their luck will run out. Don't do it the halfassed way. Their is no disadvantage to wiring a potentiometer type WOT switch into the TPS itself on a TBW car, but there sure as heck is a major disadvantage from taking the shortcut and installing a microswitch under the gas pedal to activate nitrous on a TBW car. It just isn't the right way to do it. This isn't a Gen 1 3.0 V6 Lincoln LS with mechanical TB linkage we are talking about here brother.

Whether the OP needs a new tune for running his wet kit totally depends on how aggressive his N/A aftermarket tune already is; and whether his tuner allowed him to retard spark timing advance in the end use adjustable settings in his Xcal or Livewire flash tuner. If spark timing is already advanced close to the max then running that 75 shot without dropping a little timing out of the tune may very well push it over the edge into knock. Now if the OP were bone stock on a stock tune then I would agree that he would not have to run a nitrous specific tune for a 75 wetshot as long as he was running premium fuel. This is due to all the spark timing slop in stock tunes allowing a larger cushion before getting into knock. If he wants to know for sure how aggressive his tune is then a quick call to his tuner, Doug, will get him the answer he requires.

This guy asked specific questions that required specific answers about HIS car combo. So cookie cutter answers like "you don't need a tune on a 75 shot" just don't cut it if you intend to actually help out bud.

Last edited:

Benchracer

Established Member
Check out the WOT box sold at N2MB Racing and get the nitrous control cable. You will have a 2 step for consistant launching and it has a built in programmable window switch and tps switch that is controlled through your pcm inputs. It works really well. :beer:

rocket5979

Established Member

Seems very nice. It is a little overkill for a basic nitrous setup, but then again it all depends on what you want out of your nitrous system. I have always liked nitrous controllers with progressive functions because if you are on street tires you can dial in the shot to obtain max power while still retaining sufficient traction. I like the FJO units because they do allot and are damned cheap at only just over $200.

Benchracer

Established Member
Here is a better description of the nitrous controls with the WOT box from N2MB's website.
This add-on device plugs into the side of the WOT Box and adds a full nitrous or water injection window switch to your WOT Box. This cable can drive your nitrous solenoids or water injection pump directly. The output can be programmed to turn on and off at specific RPMs and at a certain throttle threshold. It also automatically shuts off whenever the clutch is down, to prevent spraying during no-lift shifting or launch control. All of the settings can be adjusted using the WOT Box Software.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Skip the tps switch. Mount the WOT switch to the pedal so it comes on at true WOT.

DO NOT MOUNT A MECHANICAL SWITCH TO THE PEDAL!

The reason is what happens when you are floored and hit the limiter? The ECU, will close the throttle. This means that the nitrous will still be flowing, but the throttle will be closed.

The TPS signal on the new 5.0 is actually read on 2 wires. There is a rising voltage signal, just like on all the older Mustangs, and a falling voltage signal.

Unfortunately, the rising voltage wire actually reads full voltage from about half throttle and up. That means if you use that wire, the nitrous can activate at half throttle.

The falling voltage wire (brown if I remember correctly) is the wire you need to use, but your controller has to be able to read the signal correctly.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
This isn't a Gen 1 3.0 V6 Lincoln LS with mechanical TB linkage we are talking about here brother

This guy asked specific questions that required specific answers about HIS car combo. So cookie cutter answers like "you don't need a tune on a 75 shot" just don't cut it if you intend to actually help out bud.

hey you remember me from lvc. lol. i have run this same kit on throttle by wire cars as well so ive had good experiences with it. i do understand why some people need the tps switch as a fail safe. i personally do not. as far as tune, i guess i assumed he was stock which is is my bad. although i have in the past on my twin turbo s4(thottle by wire)and a fox body mustang run a wet kit with an aftermarket tune that obviously wasnt setup for nitrous. just went colder on the plug and called nos about jetting and went slightly richer than normal, wet kits are in a way already "tuned". i was trying to help him save money and simplify things but i do see what your saying which is kinda why i said nitrous isnt for everybody. rocket, you got a new stang now too?

Users who are viewing this thread