Couple quick questions regarding things I saw on Cobras on a dealer's lot just now

JRock

Established Member
There was a little, round green sticker on the windshield that I believe said

"2
FEB
JUN
OCT"

and on another Cobra it was

"7
FEB
JUN
OCT"

What do those dates mean exactly?

Also the Cobra I saw in the color that I liked had a sticker on the driver's side window that said the car had been tested x number of miles for quality control by the factory. 20 miles was the number of miles written in.

Should I feel better or worse about a car that's been factory tested? Better because if there were issues they would have noticed them or worse because it may have been ragged on?

What exactly does factory tested mean? Do they actually check and fix things like the known issues in the FAQ or just make sure it doesn't fall apart going down the road?

Also it looked like there was a piece of trim - a thin strip like weather stripping - sticking out from between the rear bumper piece and the side panel where they meet on the right side behind the rear wheel. It looked like it had been pulled out or something. Dunno if that's supposed to be there and needs to be put back in or someone caught something in there and ripped that off it or whatever.

Anyway, if I test drive tomorrow I plan to print out the Issues section of the Terminator FAQ and go over that before the test drive. =)

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
FEB
JUN
OCT is the build date. The car was built on the 2nd of either Feb., June, or Oct. I guess Ford didn't want to buy 12 different stickers so they bought 4 different ones with 3 months on each. A percentage of the Cobras are road tested at the factory. Ford is then required to list the miles. It can't hurt to have had the car road tested provided they didn't beat on it. I'm not sure about the trim. Definitely read the FAQ. Brian put a lot of good info in there.

ModsAway

Established Member
They factory test drive the vehicles to check for major defects and ensure everything operates properly. IE oil circulation, temperature(coolant), AC, blah blah blah, etc.

SVT 03 Cobra

20 miles is fine..... boost dumps till around 20-25 miles, they couldn't have beat on it, and also would have noticed anything major.

Jayson

JRock

Established Member
Originally posted by akaeric
Were they new cars and what year were they?

New '04s, baby.

Boost dumps 'til 25 miles? Interesting. That's good to know!

Thanks for the help and quick answers guys. :beer:

Epic

Established Member
I assume the 'weather stripping' you are refering to is the white plastic that is wrapped around the front and back of the car. Its attached to the backside of the bumper plastics so most times they can't get it off completely. I've had to mustangs ('03, '04) that showed reminants of that plastic.

The QA miles are generally low and they mostly look for paint defects and body fitment. So if it is a QA model it most likely will have the best fit and finish, because if they find something wrong they adjust it.

JRock

Established Member
Originally posted by Epic
I assume the 'weather stripping' you are refering to is the white plastic that is wrapped around the front and back of the car.

No, it was actual weatherstripping like gray/black strip probably about an eight of an inch tall and wide, in a long strip stuck firmly up between the two body pieces, but hanging out and loose about eight inches worth.

I read through the FAQ and it is very good, but here's another question I didn't see answered in it:

There are two seemingly identical Cobras listed on this one dealer's website, but one is slightly cheaper than the other. Equipment is identical but the VIN varies slightly -

one is 1FAFP48Y64F and the other is 1FAFP48Y44F

What is the difference between these two Cobras?

MSRPs are TOTAL MSRP $36,065 and $35,895 respectively.

Last edited:

1992B4C

Established Member
The difference in price was a actual price increase. They increase the price little by little at least once a month.

JRock

Established Member
The special colored one (monochrome or whatever it's called) that I just got back from testdriving had the same weatherstripping sticking out in the same spot, lol!
I asked the salesguy and he said oh jeez look at that, yeah weatherstripping so I guess that's what it is.
Anyway, car drove very nice. Was very gentle on it and only 10miles on her so it wouldn't have any boost in the lower gears anyway (when I was in 6th on the highway I saw if I stepped on it, it added a little boost which is interesting).

Now the only issue is price. He claimed they sell at sticker and won't budge on it right now. I didn't really try though since I need a little more time to decide anyway.

I told him I'd heard of them being sold at invoice and he asked where but I had no dealer names to give him I just told him I'd heard it from other owners.

Even invoice is stretching it for me though, so who knows. We'll see. It's too bad (for me) that probably won't see a nice $2,000 factory-to-dealer on them and invoice pricing. I would almost defintiely do it for $31k.

Last edited:

FKing1

Established Member
The QC test miles are a nice perk the Assembly Plant Management has, they take a car home over night and fill out a problem check sheet after. Must live within 50 miles or less which most do. Lived next door to a DAP Superintendent that brought home a different Stang every night.
Fred K.

1992B4C

Established Member
Just tell them sometimes your bottem line and see what they say and give them your number. Before i bought mine, i researched these posts like crazy for info. Hell, i called all over the USA for a good deal and decided to just throw out some rediculous offers and got 2 replys saying they would do it. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread