Cover Letter

Grandmarq86

Established Member
So I need to write a cover letter, so that I can send out my resume to some dealerships. I graduated from UTI back in march and I've been living at home working as a tech @ a chrysler dealer. Im trying to move up to atl and go back to school. Im just having trouble getting the cover letter started. Any suggestions?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Dear Sir or Madam:
I got this cover letter off the internet. I really don't want a job in woman's fashions but it was the best letter I could find. Please replace any occurrence of "woman's fashions" with "your service and/or sales department".

Now I got you started ... think you can do the rest?

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
for all my jobs I have ever applied for. I have never used a cover letter. I know in the finance industry. Alot of managers just want to see your resume. I know my boss doesn't even read cover letters and gets frustrated with people who include them. But this is all just from my experience.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
To Whom It May Concern:

I am applying for the job of INSERT JOB TITLE HERE. You may review my attached resume to learn all about my vast experience and the unique qualities that make me perfect for the INSERT POSITION TITLE HERE.

Of course, there is surely someone more qualified out there. Someone with more experience.
Maybe there is someone from within your company and you've got a policy to always hire from within. Maybe the Executive Vice President's second cousin is looking for a job and you owe him a favor because he never told anyone about the time he found you drunk and naked in the copy room. Maybe some busty blonde slipped naked pictures of herself into her resume. There are plenty of reasons you probably won’t hire me.

But, before you make that hasty choice, let me tell you something. I haven't had full time work in nearly a year. I am hungry. So very hungry. I will do anything to get this job. Have you always wanted to try out your very own casting couch but were afraid of the sexual harassment lawsuits? Don't worry, touch me wherever you want and I’ll never tell another living soul. I don't care if you are male or female; I want this job. And remember, I haven't had a nine to five since last June, so there will be nothing too kinky for me. Cleveland Steamer? I’ve always considered Cleveland to be the most unappreciated American city.

I want this job.

And if I am lucky enough to get this job, I will do anything to keep it. Have you been embezzling money from the company for years, and they are just about to find out? I'll help you cover it up. And if the shit is really about to hit the fan, I'll help you pin the wrap on someone else, maybe that dork in accounting who scratched the paint on your new Lexus when he opened his car door to quickly in the company parking lot.

I'm a team player. If we are on a business trip and you want me to pull a train on that prostitute you brought up to the hotel and are going to expense to the company, I will. I'm just that kind of guy. And if you need someone to tell your wife you really were working late in the office on Friday night? I'll do it. I'll lie for you. My eternal soul is a small price to pay for a full time job.

I need this job.

Is the company to cheap to hire you a personal assistant? Well, I'll get you coffee and bagels in the morning, and pick up your dry cleaning in the afternoon. I'm not really that good at taking dictation, but if you need me to, I'll learn. You drop your pen behind your desk and you need me to bend over and pick it up? My ass is there for you.

Just think of me as that lonely guy in school, that everyone knew who end up marrying the first woman who agrees to have sex with him. I will be as loyal to you as that guy is to his domineering wife. I will still love you know matter how much you abuse me. And if you dally with other employees, buying them lunch in the office cafeteria, or only CCing them on important emails (and those racist/sexist Spam jokes you like to forward around the office) I won’t mind. I'm not the jealous type.

Please give me this job.

Regards,
Hal03GM

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
To Whom It May Concern:

I am applying for the job of INSERT JOB TITLE HERE. You may review my attached resume to learn all about my vast experience and the unique qualities that make me perfect for the INSERT POSITION TITLE HERE.

Of course, there is surely someone more qualified out there. Someone with more experience.
Maybe there is someone from within your company and you've got a policy to always hire from within. Maybe the Executive Vice President's second cousin is looking for a job and you owe him a favor because he never told anyone about the time he found you drunk and naked in the copy room. Maybe some busty blonde slipped naked pictures of herself into her resume. There are plenty of reasons you probably won’t hire me.

But, before you make that hasty choice, let me tell you something. I haven't had full time work in nearly a year. I am hungry. So very hungry. I will do anything to get this job. Have you always wanted to try out your very own casting couch but were afraid of the sexual harassment lawsuits? Don't worry, touch me wherever you want and I’ll never tell another living soul. I don't care if you are male or female; I want this job. And remember, I haven't had a nine to five since last June, so there will be nothing too kinky for me. Cleveland Steamer? I’ve always considered Cleveland to be the most unappreciated American city.

I want this job.

And if I am lucky enough to get this job, I will do anything to keep it. Have you been embezzling money from the company for years, and they are just about to find out? I'll help you cover it up. And if the shit is really about to hit the fan, I'll help you pin the wrap on someone else, maybe that dork in accounting who scratched the paint on your new Lexus when he opened his car door to quickly in the company parking lot.

I'm a team player. If we are on a business trip and you want me to pull a train on that prostitute you brought up to the hotel and are going to expense to the company, I will. I'm just that kind of guy. And if you need someone to tell your wife you really were working late in the office on Friday night? I'll do it. I'll lie for you. My eternal soul is a small price to pay for a full time job.

I need this job.

Is the company to cheap to hire you a personal assistant? Well, I'll get you coffee and bagels in the morning, and pick up your dry cleaning in the afternoon. I'm not really that good at taking dictation, but if you need me to, I'll learn. You drop your pen behind your desk and you need me to bend over and pick it up? My ass is there for you.

Just think of me as that lonely guy in school, that everyone knew who end up marrying the first woman who agrees to have sex with him. I will be as loyal to you as that guy is to his domineering wife. I will still love you know matter how much you abuse me. And if you dally with other employees, buying them lunch in the office cafeteria, or only CCing them on important emails (and those racist/sexist Spam jokes you like to forward around the office) I won’t mind. I'm not the jealous type.

Please give me this job.

Regards,
Hal03GM

:lol::lol::lol:

I would look online for a template or an idea of what to write. I always include a cover letter when I send out my resume. Sometimes employers want to see that you are willing to put forth a little extra effort.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
never once used a cover letter, especially for a tech job man. Its professional to a point, but I have had one service manager tell me that he actually doesn't like the most professional looking or acting people, mainly cause he said he feels that they are to concerned with looking like a professional rather than getting the job done

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Send a pic of a lol cat saying "I kan haz job wiff yer deelership?" If they have a sense of humor, your in. If not, you don't want to work at a place without a sense of humor.

Fastboy

Established Member
I would recommend using an online example if your are going to write one. I very seldom use a cover letter and any job i have gotten I didn't write a cover letter. But if you are relocating I think you need to state your desire to relocate. I am relocating a few days from now and when the recruiter called me I stated my desire to relocate and my seriousness about it. I think in general HR people try to stay away from non local people. I could go on and on about my job search experience during the past months

Thanks

Friendchicken

November 7, 2007
To: Peter Johnson
Recruiter – Human Resources Dept.

XXXX Systems Inc
300-123 Fake Street
Mystery City 55555

RE: Account Manager Position

Dear Mr. Johnson,

I am submitting my resume to you for review, for the position of Account Manager – XXXX Systems Inc., which I discovered on CareerCentral.org

I’m currently looking for a challenging role that will suit my capabilities and experiences.

I have been working with Internet technologies since 1995 and have been involved in new and existing product development and sales initiatives. These initiatives include:

• Web presence development, sales and marketing,
• Training, design and implementation of intranet and Internet solutions,
• Internet business development and consulting,
• Project Management of software solution development and implementation
• Account Management, RFP, MOU and contract writing.

I am self motivated, highly organized and set high standards for myself to maintain a challenging environment. My primary focus is to always meet the customers’ needs and expectations before, during and after the sales and support cycles. My approach has found great success through my ability to read the potential client over the phone, or in meetings. I earn the trust and respect of these clients by listening to them fully before offering advice or consultation, which assists in removing roadblocks to the sales initiative.

My communication skills are excellent which has allowed me the ability to successfully communicate with all levels of business resources from developers, to managers and owner/CEOs. My proposals are detailed and organized providing all required elements to each project from start to finish. Presentations are well prepared and thought out with attention to flow and consistency- while sticking to core messages.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, or schedule a meeting to discuss this opportunity. My email is [email protected] or you may reach me in person by calling my home number 555-555-5555.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Joe Smith

555-555-5555
Email: [email protected]

Friendchicken

I have no experience in applications to the automotive sector- as employment opportunities go.. but I have posted an account management cover letter as an example.

Header:

Get the name of a contact in the HR to address the letter to. You will find much more success if you contact someone and put on your best phone voice to find out:

1) if the position is still being offered
2) who the best person to send the resume is
3) open the "proverbial door" with someone on the inside to make sure your resume hits the prospect pile, not the garbage can.

A secondary reason for addressing the letter to a specific resource is that it shows you either a) know someone, b) put in the extra effort to find them. Remember, the only thing a reume/cover letter is for, is to initiate that first phone call for an interview.

Introduction:

There are specific things you need to state upfront.

1) The position you are applying for
2) Where you discovered the competition
3) What is bringing you to their company.

You need to look at the cover letter like this... You can read specs on a auto and be impresssed. However, without the review of said auto, it doesn't give you any indication on how it handles.

Body:

You need to highlight your experience and how it relates to the position that they are offering. Include characteristics that illustrate how you work well with peers/customer/management... etc

So, keeping this in mind, you need to highlight RELEVANT details that may not be apparent from looking at your resume, but are important factors in getting that first phone call.

One of the biggest tips I can give you, is to look at the job ad. If done well, they will provide you with the areas they are focused in. Write them out on a peice of paper and ask yourself if you have "met those requirements, provided examples and also illustrate success in acheiving those requirements."

These requirements are the roadmap for your resume and the cover letter. Keep in mind that these qualifications, requirements and attributes are what they are looking for. Anything else is ancillary.

Lastly, DO NOT LIE. You can stretch the truth to the extent that you have taken on responsibilites in an "unofficial capacity", however you need to back up everything on the resume once you get a face-to-face wtih a panel of interviewers.

Last edited by a moderator:

westtx47

Established Member
To Whom It May Concern:

NEVER use the phrase "To Whom It May Concern". Do research about the company and find a name. If one is not posted, use "RE: Position Title"

silverstang23

Established Member
for all my jobs I have ever applied for. I have never used a cover letter. I know in the finance industry. Alot of managers just want to see your resume. I know my boss doesn't even read cover letters and gets frustrated with people who include them. But this is all just from my experience.

+ 1

If you really want a cover letter most colleges have a career department that will help you.

Friendchicken

It is very much industry-specific. With each employment centre, you have different approaches to apply for a position. A cover letter is a formal introduction to a prospect.

Some industries do not require formalities- and can even be a deterrent. (and the opposite is true)

It is up to you to find out how to submit your resume.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Dear Sir or Madam:
I got this cover letter off the internet. I really don't want a job in woman's fashions but it was the best letter I could find. Please replace any occurrence of "woman's fashions" with "your service and/or sales department".

Now I got you started ... think you can do the rest?

lulz

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Short as possible. I have been in management, and anything more than a paragraph or two gets no attention. Short, sweet, and to the point. Anything else is a waste of toner. :)

Users who are viewing this thread