Coyote in SN-95?

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
So has anyone seen/done a Coyote swap into an SN-95 yet? I think I've only seen fox and old school builds so far. Just curious how this will compare in difficulty/cost to the 03/04 swaps or rebuilding. Maybe this would be a good route to go....especially as more 11's end up in the salvage yards.

blackpony95

Established Member
I am in the process of selling off all my 347 stuff from my 95 so that I can do a coyote swap. I plan to also add a d-1 with rods and pistons with the hopes of 650-700 rwhp.

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
650 should be easy, i wish these motors were cheaper and easier to find a used one, i would like to have build one of these rather than a 4.6dohc but the price is too much right now. Sweet motors though.

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
650 should be easy, i wish these motors were cheaper and easier to find a used one, i would like to have build one of these rather than a 4.6dohc but the price is too much right now. Sweet motors though.

+1 its gonna be awhile til the coyote comes into my price range, definitely a unique swap right now though i believe there are kits out there for most of the stuff needed to swap into a sn95

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
coyotes will be a great swap option, but not for prob 5 more years when lots start to rack up the high mileage and end up in junk yards. So many were made they will be cheap.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Price wise if you piece it together and bargain shop, you can get an Eaton swap done on a B head car for not a whole lot. I will be below the cost of a 04 drive train, and mine will be built forged teksid, upgraded everything, full exhaust, etc. It's obviously easier to just buy a motor and tranny assembly but if you are patient, it can be done cheaper. I have a feeling the coyotes will eventually end up like the LS1's. They will suddenly be EVERYWHERE in EVERYTHING and suddenly the 04 swaps will be less prevalent. We'll see though

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
It has been done before, and I think 5.0 magazine swapped one into their 95 Cobra. Its becoming much easier these days as more shops are offering solutions to problems like getting your a/c and power steering to work. Right now its still pretty expensive when you consider buying the engine and all the parts to make it work, and thats just to stay n/a and make around 400rwhp. You buy an aluminator version so you can add boost later BTW.

For the price it will be cheaper to buy an aluminator long block(4.6), source an 01 Cobra intake and get a used centri kit. For about the same price as the coyote swap but you are making more rwhp. This will also present far fewer headaches as far as the swap goes.

Option 3 is the used 03-04 Cobra engine. Definately the cheapest option as the engine is used as opposed to new and it comes with a blower. You would be a pulley and a tune away from 450rwhp and 500rwhp with a ported blower. The swap is pretty easy these days because its been done so many times and there are solutions to just about any problem you might run into, so you wont be venturing into any unknowns unlike the coyote swap. A couple years ago when I was considering this swap there were 03 Cobra engines with low miles(30-50k) going for 6k. I imagine the price hasn't changed much for a used Cobra engine, maybe you could find one that would include both the engine and trans for around 6k depending on mileage.

Keep in mind a fuel system upgrade will be required.

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I considered this swap at one point but the thought of buying an engine that cost more than my car was not very appealing to me. I almost have all the parts to build a forged teksid block with ported b heads but I'm still hesitant about spending so much on a 15 year old car. I'm just going to run my stock block till it breaks and probably do the built teksid at that point. By buying the parts over a few years it's a little easier to stomach.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
I guess I was thinking that with our cars getting older that more will be requiring rebuilds/new to us powerplants. With all the negative threads on shop built motors lately, maybe it makes more sense to swap a motor tranny combo from the salvage yard....If/when the price comes down (all things being equal) I'd be more than happy with a stock 5.0 with 400 hp.

kingcato

Drunk Ninja
Established Member
that will be my option in the future.. with a new t56, built rear end, paint job, and new seats.. ill be rolling in a brand new old 98 cobra.. has always been my plans, dont care if it will cost more than my car.. would cost the same to buy a newer mustang and mod it to match the power and speed i am aiming for

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I just replied to someone's email a few days ago asking about this.

Here is the response I sent him.

Here you go:

5.0L 4V TI-VCT 412 HP MUSTANG CRATE ENGINE | Part Details for M-6007-M50* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

Specifcally this bullet point:

Engine mount bosses and bellhousing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines

Also:

Coyote-Powered '01 Bullitt - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

"Thanks... It's using the factory 3650 trans from the Bullitt. It bolts right up."

Sincerely,

Ken

Based on that, making it fit the SN95 should be same. The frame and everything is identical, except for a little tweaking on the transmission crossmember.

Users who are viewing this thread