Coyote swap questions and suggestions

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Im looking for info on what exactly i need for this swap and advise from people that have done this, also looking for exactly what do i need to make it work. Thanks

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Go to Late Model Restoration, there's a good starting point. New motor, control pack, headers, mid pipe, accessory brackets, oil pan, fuel lines & regulator, oil filter relocation kit, K-member, battery relocation kit, bell housing (depending on what tranny you have) I'm wrapping up purchasing all the parts for this, the big hitters have been purchased (motor, control pack, headers).

Let me know what else you're looking for.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Go to Late Model Restoration, there's a good starting point. New motor, control pack, headers, mid pipe, accessory brackets, oil pan, fuel lines & regulator, oil filter relocation kit, K-member, battery relocation kit, bell housing (depending on what tranny you have) I'm wrapping up purchasing all the parts for this, the big hitters have been purchased (motor, control pack, headers).

Let me know what else you're looking for.

Im getting the motor the manual trans that comes with the 2013 5.0s

2rbo97svt

Established Member
man if you an make a mt-82 work in an sn-95 Please let me know i love my 2014 5.0 with the mt-82 trans

These trans dont fit at all with this swap ? If thats so that means i need a new one. If thats the case i will have to re-sell the motor. The only reason i doing this is because im getting the motor for a really good price. Im doing this swap thinking it would be cheaper then getting my 4.6 build along with the trans.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
I don't know a lot about the MT-82 but it can't be much different than the TR6060 and T56 Magnum. If I were you, I'd get a distance measurement from the front of the bellhousing to the trans cross member bolt holes and compare that to the T56 Magnum. Then you'll know what crossmember you need. Also measure the total length to see if you need to change or modify the driveshaft. I don't see any reason why you couldn't get it to fit. Did you see all that I went through??? :) You can always "massage" the floor pan with a hammer for clearance if necessary.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
I don't know a lot about the MT-82 but it can't be much different than the TR6060 and T56 Magnum. If I were you, I'd get a distance measurement from the front of the bellhousing to the trans cross member bolt holes and compare that to the T56 Magnum. Then you'll know what crossmember you need. Also measure the total length to see if you need to change or modify the driveshaft. I don't see any reason why you couldn't get it to fit. Did you see all that I went through??? :) You can always "massage" the floor pan with a hammer for clearance if necessary.

Im having a feeling that i will be massaging it with a hammer, i dont have a lot of cash so i have to save where I can till i can add supporting mods etc. but if push comes to shove and i dont have the needs necessary to do the install i might see the motor with trans and get my original 4.6 cobra block build since i already have a turbo set up for it from before.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Im having a feeling that i will be massaging it with a hammer, i dont have a lot of cash so i have to save where I can till i can add supporting mods etc. but if push comes to shove and i dont have the needs necessary to do the install i might see the motor with trans and get my original 4.6 cobra block build since i already have a turbo set up for it from before.

Why not use the existing transmission you have with the new 5.0 and just get a new bellhousing???

SterlingGray

Jimmy, I'm interested in the possibility of swapping both engine (Coyote) AND transmission (MT-82) from late model S197 to an SN95 (2001 Cobra). Your reply (#5) in this thread implies that you have done this. But I couldn't find any mention of the MT-82 transmission swap in your build thread. Did I miss something? Have you done this swap (or know anybody who has)?

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
I was already using a T56 Magnum Trans with my Cobra. I had to change cross members.
I would think you would need a different or modified cross member for the trans. Plus you might need a custom length driveshaft. D&D sells the right DS for my trans. I'm sure others have done this. Search around.

fastferndog

Established Member
I believe any transmission for a modular car will work. Including the t45,3650, t56, 4r70w etc. If you can use the existing transmission then you won't need a new or modified ds, crossmember. All you have to do is bolt it on and get the accessories to work.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
That's right. I had to change cross members because I needed more exhaust clearance. I think I may be mixing up projects. When I did the Coyote Swap I was able to reuse the clutch, trans and DS.
The exhaust created a lot of headaches, though.

Users who are viewing this thread