Coyote Swap vs. 03/04 Cobra Swap- SN95 Cars

Best swap for 96-04 SN95's: 03/04 Cobra or Coyote?

• 03-04 Cobra

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Coyote

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Here's a poll to voice your opinion on which swap is a better idea, and why. This is only for SN95 cars between the years 96-04, when the push rod was no more.

I swapped my 99 gt with the drive train from an 03 cobra. Was it a pain in the butt? Yes, but I still believe it was much easier to do than a coyote swap would have been. Since I've done the swap, I've been asked on different forms of social media a thousand times about why I didn't do a coyote swap. I just tell them that it was what I preferred.

I want to hear from you guys though. Have you completed either transplant in an SN95 car? What was your experience? Would you have done the other if you could do it over? Did you do a complete swap? Or did you reuse old ECU's, harnesses, etc.?

The goal with this thread is to potentially help those that are on the fence on which swap to do, and provide some insight to the difficulties involved in each.

cbr repsol

Established Member
At this point in time I would do a coyote swap.
There is tons of available parts.
While you will still find stuff for 03/04 cobra parts I just think it's more worth while to go with the newer technology. I have a 97 cobra now..I'm a mechanic and I could do what is needed to swap my motor over to the supercharged setup of a 03 or 04. But personally I would rather just buy a turbo kit intended for my car.
I could see if you had just a gt or even a 6banger to swap in the dohc motor.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
My gripe with the Coyote is drive by wire and the soulless sound.

Sent from my iPhone somewhere in Mexico

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
This was a dilemma that I struggled with. In the grand scheme of things, 93 Octane gas is a true limitation for me as E85 is not hardly available anywhere close to me at all. The honest truth is that either one will easily make enough power to peg the limitations of 93 Octane gas.

I originally leaned toward a Terminator or turbo 32V swap just because it would be a cheaper and easier swap, with over the counter 32V-New Edge parts abound. But I ultimately decided on a Coyote swap. Even though it will likely cost double, what swayed me to the Coyote was weight (aluminum block naturally aspirated vs. iron block with blower in Terminator trim), tuning & driveability with the TiVCT/Copperhead, and ultimate power potential down the road. Plus N/A power just appeals to me at this point. I'm honestly a bit tired of chasing IAT temps, potential water pump issues, etc at this point of my life.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
...aluminum block naturally aspirated vs. iron block with blower in Terminator trim...

That's why people go for the Teksid block

I'm like the OP. Can't decide what would be best: Fully built teksid bored and/or stroked to make up for the displacement or a built Coyote swap

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
a turbo Teksid or WAP 32V swap was absolutely on my radar. But when you're getting into piecing together and building a motor from scratch like that, you're getting into Coyote swap money. At that point, I decided I'd rather have a longblock that I didn't have to touch for the money/durability/performance for the dollar

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
COYOTE BY A COUNTRY MILE. they are coming way down in price, around 2k or less for a 50ish k mile f150 motor. 4.6 and 5.0 rods are the same, pistons are reasonable and the stock head will support the airflow for 500 plus hp. that plus a tune and you should break 400 rwhp n/a. plus the drivability. when it comes down o it, its just a better motor

zpstang96

Established Member
I have seen both sides of this debate first-hand. My car (96 GT) has a built, bored, stroked teksid, head work, fuel system, procharger, etc. etc. My brother's car (97 GT) has a coyote out of a 2013 F150. Control pack and wiring kit, headers, tubular K, etc. etc.

What it comes down to is how much work you are willing to do and what you are looking for. Compared to the coyote swap, my swap was easy. Nearly plug and play (just modified the GT harness). Coyote took a couple of weeks and a lot more tedious work. Just my opinion, but that's how I saw it. Overall, we are about same dollar-wise into our builds. The cost to build my motor was offset by the cost of the coyote engine itself and then all the things that have to come with it.

I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might have.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
My gripe with the Coyote is drive by wire and the soulless sound.

Sent from my iPhone somewhere in Mexico

TClark22's car sounds fantastic. Muffler placement seems to make the biggest difference with the Coyotes.

Between the two options, I'd go Coyote. If I was my own pick, I'd build a stroked 351W.

Users who are viewing this thread