Cracked forged I beams????

chuckstang

Established Member
any good, I hope I am correct on my wording. But is this not the same stuff found inside the svt lightening?????

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
i believe they had powdered metal rods, not forged steel.i'm refering to the lightning

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
They are forged I beams from Mahle that feature a cracked big end for exacting fit when assembled. The process was used on OEM PM rods for years with success, and is not detrimental in any way with regard to strength/durability. FWIW, there are PM/sintered iron rods rated for 800HP+ applications these days.
I nor any of the engine builders I talk with have seen one in person yet. Ford claims them to be as good as a 4340 forged H beam; if true they will support anything a 2.4L twin screw could throw at them NP. Mahle makes pretty good aftermarket slugs, so I have high hopes for the pistons as well, we'll see.

Fourcam330

Established Member
chuckstang said:
thats reassuring fourcam. so at least we know we have better pistons then the 03/04

Can't say for sure yet, but if they're anything like their aftermarket stuff we'll be ok. :burnout:

NCETRY

Established Member
I have used the Mahle pistons in a couple of Lightning engine builds. Good pistons.

I think these are the same pistons as in the Ford GT.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
chuckstang said:
thats reassuring fourcam. so at least we know we have better pistons then the 03/04

Name me one other stock piston in any other car south of 50 grand that can take 700rwhp before popping and then you can say the 03/04 pistons arnt any good. Ford gave us gold with the 03/04 and it still wasnt good enough.

Fourcam330

Established Member
mattsstang87 said:
I wonder why it didn't get the Carillo rods like the GT? It has the Mahle pistons, right?

As weird as it sounds the GTs got forged 4340 H beams like the 03/04 Cobras, the '00Rs had billet 4340 Carillo rods. Both redlined at 6500rpm, but the N/A motor got the "stronger" rods. That being said, I've never seen a 4340 forged H beam fail on its own.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Benaa said:
Name me one other stock piston in any other car south of 50 grand that can take 700rwhp before popping and then you can say the 03/04 pistons arnt any good. Ford gave us gold with the 03/04 and it still wasnt good enough.

I agree with you for the most part, but ~550rw is where you want to keep it if you want a long healthy life.

chuckstang

Established Member
I just feel that because of the xtra weight, a twin screw is almost a must and Id like to know the engine can take it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Fourcam330 said:
I agree with you for the most part, but ~550rw is where you want to keep it if you want a long healthy life.

Glad you said it. Every time I do I get stoned to death and have to reincarnate myself. :)

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Glad you said it. Every time I do I get stoned to death and have to reincarnate myself. :)
is it the pistons themselves, or the ptw clearances? do you think this is why the shelby has a 50w oil; because the clearance is greater? therefore when it warms up, it wont expand so tight against the cylinder wall? :shrug:

Fourcam330

Established Member
meaty mac said:
is it the pistons themselves, or the ptw clearances? do you think this is why the shelby has a 50w oil; because the clearance is greater? therefore when it warms up, it wont expand so tight against the cylinder wall? :shrug:

Skirts collapse and the teflon wears off.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Skirts collapse and the teflon wears off.
from heat? why does the new shelby use a much thicker oil? is that a good sign? sorry for all the questions fourcam, but i respect your opinion....besides, it's your duty to school us less knowledgable! ;-)

Fourcam330

Established Member
meaty mac said:
from heat? why does the new shelby use a much thicker oil? is that a good sign? sorry for all the questions fourcam, but i respect your opinion....besides, it's your duty to school us less knowledgable! ;-)

The teflon wears off in normal use without anything really going wrong. Extra heat from additional boost will speed the process up. As for the skirts, they're just not strong enough to handle as much power as a quality aftermarket forged slug ala CP, JE, Diamond, etc. Again, they do pretty well for an OEM piston.
As for thicker oil, Ford may have learned something (likely about heat) from its supercharged 03/04 Cobra and Ford GT engine programs. Nice to see it coming OEM with synthetic as well.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
This is really good news. I was getting worried about the internals. I guess our only choice will be to run a lot of boost since this car will be very heavy.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
The teflon wears off in normal use without anything really going wrong. Extra heat from additional boost will speed the process up. As for the skirts, they're just not strong enough to handle as much power as a quality aftermarket forged slug ala CP, JE, Diamond, etc. Again, they do pretty well for an OEM piston.
As for thicker oil, Ford may have learned something (likely about heat) from its supercharged 03/04 Cobra and Ford GT engine programs. Nice to see it coming OEM with synthetic as well.
thanks fourcam. i just hope that down the road, we dont have issues with oil distribution,etc. i always had a bad feeling about a 5-20w oil when i bought my first 01. i learned about the tight tolerances and the reasons for this weight of oil, but something was always in the back of my mind as far as protection went. my service advisor even said that he would never put a 5 20 oil in a summer car, so that really got me thinking.. then you find out that if you put in a heavier oil, it wont all get to the heads properly. geez, it's almost dammed if you do, dammed if you dont! i guess more people just have to realize that if you want to mod your car, there is always a price to be paid, usually above and beyond what you'll expect. two years ago, magazines(you know who you are) were telling us about how indestructable the 03 engine was......well i hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Fourcam330

Established Member
meaty mac said:
thanks fourcam. i just hope that down the road, we dont have issues with oil distribution,etc. i always had a bad feeling about a 5-20w oil when i bought my first 01. i learned about the tight tolerances and the reasons for this weight of oil, but something was always in the back of my mind as far as protection went. my service advisor even said that he would never put a 5 20 oil in a summer car, so that really got me thinking.. then you find out that if you put in a heavier oil, it wont all get to the heads properly. geez, it's almost dammed if you do, dammed if you dont! i guess more people just have to realize that if you want to mod your car, there is always a price to be paid, usually above and beyond what you'll expect. two years ago, magazines(you know who you are) were telling us about how indestructable the 03 engine was......well i hope history doesn't repeat itself.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's really a double edge sword in that the heads/cams/VT need oil immediately upon start up, but running such a thin weight can lead to other issues such as consumption, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread