Cracked forged I beams????

chuckstang

Established Member
I used to run different weight oils for each season, thinner in the winter and thicker in the summer but I kind of got lazy lol.

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
Benaa said:
Name me one other stock piston in any other car south of 50 grand that can take 700rwhp before popping and then you can say the 03/04 pistons arnt any good. Ford gave us gold with the 03/04 and it still wasnt good enough.
my 95R made 656/610 RWHP with a stock bottom end do the math and you will see it's well over 700 at the fly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now thats 1
note it now makes upwards of 1200 streetable horses but not the same motor

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I agree with you for the most part, but ~550rw is where you want to keep it if you want a long healthy life.

Fourcam330: I got close to the same information from a very Reliable source. He said 600 RWHP. Anything higher than that and the rods won’t last long. You guys on here that know me, know that I post good information. This is info on the GT 500 rods. Seeing that this is the case, I sadly will NOT be buying a GT500! It really bothers me because I really love the car. But I can’t afford to have the rods switched out so I can add a twin screw, which is what I had planed on doing.
I now wish that I had not sold my 03 Cobra. The rods in the GT500 are not as good as the 03/04 rods. Now I don't know what I'll buy, I don't really like Vetts and I can't aford a Viper.
I’m sorry but that is a fact!

Sincerely Tim

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
LR 01 Cobra said:
Fourcam330: I got close to the same information from a very Reliable source. He said 600 RWHP. Anything higher than that and the rods won’t last long. You guys on here that know me, know that I post good information. This is info on the GT 500 rods. Seeing that this is the case, I sadly will NOT be buying a GT500! It really bothers me because I really love the car. But I can’t afford to have the rods switched out so I can add a twin screw, which is what I had planed on doing.
I now wish that I had not sold my 03 Cobra. The rods in the GT500 are not as good as the 03/04 rods. Now I don't know what I'll buy, I don't really like Vetts and I can't aford a Viper.

Sincerely Tim

I have been preaching about the rods for about six-eight months now. And every time I do I get slapped in the nutsack by somebody. It is good to see that I finally have some back up. :)

-Jeff

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I have been preaching about the rods for about six-eight months now. And every time I do I get slapped in the nutsack by somebody. It is good to see that I finally have some back up. :)

-Jeff

Well I'm big enough to admit it, you were right! I did not want to post anything untill I got the facts. I'm bummed :( I had my doubts about the strength of the rods, but wanted to believe that Ford wouldn’t put weaker rods in a car that has more weight and power.
I’m real disappointed in Ford! :bash:

Tim

mrGT

Established Member
Posted by LR 01 Cobra
I now wish that I had not sold my 03 Cobra
You got my curiosity up, so I went to AutoTrader.com and searched for 03 Mustangs costing more than $25,000....and found that there were nearly 25 "Ford Mustang Cobra SVT" for sale. The range of price was $25,000 to $43,000. I didn't find a single one on eBay. I'm sure there are plenty of places you can go to find another Terminator.....but experience tells me that you won't find one "EXACTLY" like the one you sold. I guess the point is, they are available.

Fourcam330

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:

Sincerely Tim

Hey Tim,
When I stated ~550rw as a safe power output I was talking about the 03/04s. I haven't seen the GT500 rod/piston setup in person yet, nor have any of the builders I speak with.
If I were prepping an 03/04 for a "safe" max boost twin screw app. it would require replacing the pistons (also a .020" over hone and balance the rotating assembly), rings, bearings, and going with ARP hardware. Similarly, when going for "safe" max power with aftermarket blower/turbo with the GT500 it would be smart to replace the factory slugs, rings, bearings, hone, balance, ARP and if your info is true a switch to at least 4340 H beams with 7/16" rod bolts. Meaning the difference in preparing the two motors is ~$580 for rods for the GT500 motor, while disappointing if true, not really horrific.
Also, the new Mahle pistons may be capable of much more than the older Zollners, so it may be a wash.

Last edited:

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
MrGT: Thanks, I looked on autotrader also, but it feels like I'm going some place I have already been! Maybe I'm making a snap Judgement on the GT 500, maybe I need to give it a little more thought. I was upset and pissed off! bad Combination.

Fourcam: $580 sounds about right! But do I really want to tear down a new motor? I'm sure the boys at MD Motorsports would let me do it at their shop. I just hate ripping into a new motor! I'll PM you part of the e-mail I recieved.

Tim :(

chuckstang

Established Member
Exactly, I think its retrarded to buy a brand new car and then have to rip the motor apart to run more boost. Mine as well buy an 03, tear it down and build it up, cause it will cost you cheaper and you will have a lighter car. granted its not a 5.4 but still the difference in power and performance is yet to be determined.

Users who are viewing this thread