cracked oil cooler

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
Hey guys, I mustve overtightened the oil pressure sending unit (swapped the stock one and the little plug to make room for my autometer) and now I have a hairline crack in the piece itself. It's dripping oil with the car running. Any way to fix this instead of having to swap the entire oil cooler assembly? I live in Europe and need this car on the road.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
If it's just the adapter or cooler housing and not the seals or core, you should be able to weld/braze or even epoxy it, provided you prep it correctly and use the proper materials.

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
There's a small hairline crack right here:

DSC03077.jpg

I will have to remove the whole assembly for welding/epoxy I'm afraid? Is that hard?

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
I cleaned the inside threads, smeared high temp RTV on the threads with a q-tip and covered the sensor threads in it too. Just had it idling for about 10 minutes, let the oilpressure drop to 50psi and it seems ok. Maybe a little sweat, but not a real drip. Will let it cure overnight, drive around the block tomorrow and check again.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
I cleaned the inside threads, smeared high temp RTV on the threads with a q-tip and covered the sensor threads in it too. Just had it idling for about 10 minutes, let the oilpressure drop to 50psi and it seems ok. Maybe a little sweat, but not a real drip. Will let it cure overnight, drive around the block tomorrow and check again.

Please don't do that, you're just asking to blow the motor when it fails. Just take it off and go to a machine shop, they can grind it down, fill it in, and rethread it. I've seen it done before and it was just fine. You could also post a WTB ad in the market for one, this same thing happened to me a few months ago and I posted the ad and had one shipped to me that day. Its an easy replacement and you might as well rebuild the oil cooler while you're at it, very simple.

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
It's a bandaid at best, I'm looking for a new adapter too!

Does anyone know 100% sure if the adapters for all DOHC 4.6's are the same? or that I can maybe use a Mach1 piece and delete the cooler or something?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread