Crank Balancer

Scarpino

Established Member
So I am in the process of pulling my crank balancer pulley with a pulley puller and the bolt broke inside the pulley.

So, of course I go and get an extracter to remove it, drill a hole in the bolt and start the extraction and what do you know....it breaks off in there as well. Of course the extracter is case hardened...so there will be no more drilling on the bolt.

So, either I can take a punch and beat the ever living crap out of the extracter and it will shatter...or

Use a gear puller. It is the same concept as using the crank puller, except your hooking it to rear of the pulley instead of bolting it to the front of the pulley.

My plan is heating up the pulley itself (not the crank) and using the gear puller...will this work?

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
It's worth a shot. At this point you have nothing to lose except the balancer. It's very probable the jaw puller will pull the outer hub from the balancer assembly, or at the least move it and render it useless.
Plus if you aren't careful with the heat, your front cover seal will probably get too hot and need replacement too.
Good luck man.

Scarpino

Established Member
Well...I used alittle heat on it and a gear puller....now I am at the very edge of it coming off and I am afraid to turn it anymore. It has gotten very very hard to turn the puller. I am afraid that I will break the bolt (that goes into the center hub) if I turn it anymore.

Is this normal?

Any suggestions?

Note: I had a 3 claw puller, but wouldnt work so I am currently working with a 2 claw puller. The claws are hooked to the outer part of the hub and are at the 9 and 3 postions.

I have already come to the conclusion that I will need a new balancer, so at this point..I just need this off so I can get to the front enigne case nd I can start removing my timing chains to get my heads off.

Last edited:

Mr. Jones 4.6

Pushin Gas Kickin AZZZ
Established Member
My crank pulley on the mustang had two out of three stripped bolts so the puller would just pop out after so long. I decided to buy me about 4ft of small steel cable from Home Depot and I backed the puller off a little bit and I wrapped each spoke on the balancer to the main body of the puller using the cable. I then pulled each one really tight and used a small 1/8" cable C-clamp to hold the cable tight and in place. I then just slowly wrenched the balancer right off. By doing this I didnt even use the help of the small bolt that bolt into the balancer, used the cables for the puling force. hat thing came right off to, it took a few test runs to get the cables tight enough and positioned just right but it worked.

Hopefully that helps.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread