Crank Position Sensor question

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Does the crank position sensor penatrate the block and could oil leak through this thing?

I'm asking because I have a rather tiny oil leak with fresh oil appearing just below the crank position sensor and dripping on a wire bracket and running down some flex loom. The crank angle plug is a black oily mess and there is fresh (caramel goodness) oil inside the crank angle sensor itself. I have no idea how else fresh oil would get inside the sensor. Some of these sensors penetrate and some don't. I'm curious if these do.

Looks like I have to drop the AC compressor to get this little guy out, but would rather verify if someone knows if I should before I order parts.

I cleaned everything up tonight and will check in the morning and after work tomorrow for more evidence.

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, so after more cleaning and driving, and cleaning and looking I discovered that my oil leak is coming from this timing cover bolt, which is the lowest timing cover bolt by the AC compressor. The black plate in the pic is the front of the oil pan.

5738856498_b9e2c6a580_b.jpg

WTF is up with that? From all the oily goo around I'd say it has been leaking for quite some time. There are 45K miles on the car. It appears oil is leaking past the inner gasket surface and down the threads and past the nut. From the looks of it that is a nut on a stud, right, not some special fastener?

So, I bought some high temp thread sealer and I've loosened up the bracket enough to get a wrench on that nut, only to find that my 18mm wrench is gone missing. I'll have to pick one up tomorrow and try to find some time this weekend to get that nut off far enough to get some thread sealer on the threads.

Last edited:

trmin8ter03

Established Member
I dont see how oil would be leaking through the bolt. Maybe try removing the bolt and putting some sealant on the threads.

Users who are viewing this thread