Crankshaft broke in 2!

SSlayer96

Wheeeeeee!!
Established Member
Crankshaft broke the other night just coming home from work. The weird thing was I was in my Mustang GT and I was about at 60 and the rpms were around 2100 and then BOOM! Car cuts off, the transmission comes out of gear and then I just coast it to a pull off area. Pop the hood, surpentine belt was off and I noticed the crank pulley was slanted a lot so I knew almost what it was. Question is why would it break in 2 with just NORMAL driving?

stevieb

Established Member
It probably broke due to the kind of driving life it had, it just happaned to break during normal driving, that was coincidential I think.

LS1 HTR

Established Member
What year gt? If it is a windsor based eng ya better check the block to. It might of broke a main journal. That happend to me and it wasn't pretty. the block gave first then crank and lots of other parts went to.

SSlayer96

Wheeeeeee!!
Established Member
It's the original engine in it. Which would be 92. The journals are fine I just need a Crankshaft ( should I go with Forged Steel this time?) and bearings and a timing chain.

IETZR1S

Established Member
I run a stock crank in my 89 GT with 451 rwhp and 428 lbtq have road raced, run 11's and drive every day w/ 20.5 mpg. Engine is 1 yr old and has 15,000 and change. I have stock and forged steel if you need them

Users who are viewing this thread