crappy steering wheel leather

love bandit2

Established Member
ok my saddle leather steering wheel looks goddamn horrible... I'm about ready to just get a V6 plastic wheel... but I was thinking: if I cut off the leather wrapping, isn't just a regular V6 plastic wheel underneath? Can anyone confirm this? cause if so I'll go out and cut that ugly crap off right now.

zerokube

Captain Happy Pants
Established Member
Well it wont say cobra on the airbag. unless you carry it over. Plus i dont know if they made the v6 wheel in black.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
My leather wheel is pretty crappy too. When the leather started to come off on my hands I went to wal mart and got a vinal cover for it that is black and says Ford Racing. I would like to get it re-wrapped - in black.

I don't know about what is underneath it - but I would assume that it is pretty gross underneath the leather too after all of these years.

Are you going to cut it off?

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
Looks like they are not the same black color that is in our cars either. It looks more like a charcoal color.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
1QIK-SNK said:
If you want to get a good and real nice wheel get a FR500 wheel. It is bigger in diameter and is soft. Well worth the $$. Here is a pic of one.

http://www.speedconcepts.net/product_info.php?products_id=346

Here is anothe to see the diff.

http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/fr500/index.shtml
That's the exact steering wheel I'm getting next spring with tax returns. Even with saddle interior our dash, headliner, and other interior parts are black so I think it will look good. It has a thicker wheel made for a racing feel/grip. Until then mine had some hideous wear so I bought a can of saddle paint from LRS and painted the bad areas. It matched up pretty good and unless you know to look for it you'd never notice. I just put a large black grass bag behind it and carefully sprayed it. Use several thin coats and hit it hardest on the worn parts. I'll take a picture and post when I get back in town if you would like to see it. Will probably be Thursday or Friday tho.

love bandit2

Established Member
yep, FR500 doesnt come in saddle... I'm gonna cut the leather off tomorrow I think... maybe I'll post some pics of what it looks like under. My guess is its just a regular V6 plastic wheel wrapped in leather. My shift knob was the same way... I wore a hole right through the leather.. it was a plastic base model knob under the leather (I acutally replaced it though)

Last edited:

fullofvenom

Established Member
i know somebody made that switch, but I can't remember the name. dreddstang maybe?? i dunno. i do know there were pics of it on here somewhere.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
I have the FR500 wheel in my 98 with black interior. It is not exactly black but honestly I am the only one that can tell. I have to point it out to everyone, who complements me on how good the wheel looks, that it is not the exact same color. As I said I get alot of complements on how nice the wheel looks I would highly recommend it. However, not sure if it comes in saddle.

badass98vert

Established Member
my steering wheel is wearing really bad, and the leather is comming off on the top. looks to me like its the v6 wheel underneath. i would say cutting it off would work. doesnt look to me like the leather is glued or anything. now i just need to wait till my fr500 wheel gets here!!!

jzepp

Established Member
When i bought my cobra the previous owner had a ford racing plastic steering wheel cover.........i dont know how anybody can stand it.......it makes the wheel really thick. What i did and what looks awesome is go to wheelskins.com and buy a leather steering wheel cover...its exactly like the stock cover on a steering wheel.........comes with needle and thread and you just thread it on.........its very easy........just sound hard.

It takes awhile to do though. Only problem is my steering wheel is saddle and they dont have saddle. They have 2 kinds of brown but they didnt exactly match up.......i just got black and i think it looks good.......matches with the black in the interior.

Users who are viewing this thread