Crappy tires you have bought

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Riken Raptors back in the late 00's. I knew just driving away from discount at 2mph in the parking lot that they were a joke.

railroad

Established Member
I have generally had good luck with my tire purchases. Lately things have changed.
The Goodyears on my 2013 GT500 should have been illegal to sell.
Next my 2013 F150 with 20 inch wheels needed tires. I thought Michelim would be fine. The boys at the tire shop said, I hope they balance. I laughed, thinking, just boys they don't know.
Sure enough had to send back to Tire Rack. I picked some BFG, which I had good luck with previously. I never know if they are going to run smooth or bump like they have flat spots.
I think they have a nylon belt, which flat spots after sitting. I just never know.
Any trailer that comes with tires now, will blow out.
Brother's new pontoon boat, all 4 tires. Friends hauler for off roader blew 2 China take offs spares in one trip.
I am having good luck with Toyo 888s and G Force rivals.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Ironman tires, both the shortest and longest lasting tires I’ve personally owned. Put a set on my wife’s civic and a set on my focus ST, both times because they were the cheapest tire we stocked and I thought we were trading each car shortly after I installed tires. Anyways on my focus ST they wore out in under 30k miles but on the civic they had 77k on them when the car was totaled and still had 5/32nds left

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
First tires i even got on the Cobra were Nexens, only because i got them for free brand new with the AFS wheels i got... Think that junk lasted maybe 8k miles, then nothing but Nittos. Every other vehicle ive had i've had pretty decent tires on. They are a pretty important part of driving, and not something you should skimp on really.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Kumhos on the AFS package back 22yrs ago still the worst.
Second place the ‘Parnelli Jones’ specials my dad put on a mustang just after the Kumho failure.
Taught me never to take the discount specials they try to sell with wheels and I’ve been a tire snob ever since.
-J

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Kumhos on the AFS package back 22yrs ago still the worst.
Second place the ‘Parnelli Jones’ specials my dad put on a mustang just after the Kumho failure.
Taught me never to take the discount specials they try to sell with wheels and I’ve been a tire snob ever since.
-J
Yup, learned that lesson too. I only by Michelin or Continental nowadays…

_Snake_

Established Member
Used to run BFGoodrich KO tires on my trucks. That would be the first thing I would do when getting a different truck. They switched to the KO2, and I ran a set of those but they didn't last as long. I put a set of wheels and tires on my current truck, picked the KO2's and the truck rode like it was on blocks.

I had to file a warranty claim on the tires. They were out of round. All four tires could not be balanced. Michelin owns BFGoodrich now BTW and they tried to tell me that they don't warranty their tires when they're mounted on aftermarket wheels but since they started the process they would go ahead and honor the warranty.

The new set was much better, but one of them still has that same issue, I just rotated my tires and the slight steering wheel wobble went away.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Just replaced the KO2’s on my wife’s truck with Toyo’s. She loved the look of the KO2’s and insisted on having them.

She’s on the BFG hater wagon now, too.

Saleen498

Established Member
Pirelli p zeros that came on the 15 GT. Absolute trash under 65 degrees or so.
I only run continental extremecontacts now on everything car related. Summer only tire that still grips decent in the new England winters and I drive the work van if there is deep snow.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
An even better question:

Has anyone ever gotten the manufacturers rating in terms of mileage out of any tire even with rotation and normal driving?

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
The Kuhmos I put on the wife’s car years ago didn’t come close to the manufacturer’s mileage rating. Michelins ever since.

But by far the worst tires I’ve bought were for my commuter shitbox. Put cheap Chinese tires on…I know one set was Sailun, can’t remember the other set…one set was so bad that on grooved highways the car would shake and shimmy really bad. Guess the tread design didn’t agree with that type of surface.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Goodyear Wranglers are a close second. Put them on an SUV and had problems in the rain. Nothing like having the rear end break loose going around an on ramp randomly.

Didn't buy them but had dura tracs on my Colorado. They were scary in the rain. It is amazing that GM put these on from the factory.

robvas

Established Member

Attachments

• IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    472.2 KB · Views: 37

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Didn't buy them but had dura tracs on my Colorado. They were scary in the rain. It is amazing that GM put these on from the factory.
Duratracs are my go to work truck tire. They're the bomb in snow IMO. Probably a combo of a light truck and wider tread.

LS WUT

Established Member
I’ve only had sports cars, and nothing really friendly that I didn’t throw drag radials on. However I’ll say the pirelli P zero all seasons on the hellcat are meh at best. Not In the sense that they don’t hook, but they just ride like balls and don’t do well in rain.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I am easily going to get it with the Continental all terrains I put on my Grand Cherokee. Tons of tread left at 40k miles on them

Manufacture says 60k, 680 treadwear

No matter how easily I drive and religiously do the tire rotations I have never been able to do it. The factory tires are a dunlop sport maxx rt and while there isn't a treadwear guarantee, at 9k miles (when a different brand was purchased) the tread is absolutely embarrassing.

Users who are viewing this thread