Creaking Steering/Front End

uofipilot

Established Member
Ok, long story short, I recently put 275s up front (used to have 245s). I also recently hit the worst bump in the road I have ever hit. I now have a bit of creaking noise coming from the front end somewhere whenever I put any pressure to the right on the steering wheel.

I'm guessing some type of combination of the two events above contributed to a 12 year old part kicking the bucket. I've been surfing this site for years now, and I haven't really come across this problem at all. Any ideas? Tie rod ends maybe? Ball joints? I have a new set of struts that I'm gonna install some time this week, so hopefully I'll be able to figure out what it is, but has anyone had this issue before? :shrug:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
if its when you move the wheel left to right, start with new outer tie rod ends, and alignment. if the tie rods have never been replaced, it wouldnt help to freshen them up. other than that, post a vid. of the noise, we'll go from there

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
When turning the steering wheel left or right it made an annyoying creaking noise. It was coming from the rack and pinion, I changed my rack and pinion bushing and metal sleeve...no more creaking noise.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
When turning the steering wheel left or right it made an annyoying creaking noise. It was coming from the rack and pinion, I changed my rack and pinion bushing and metal sleeve...no more creaking noise.

now that you say that, there was a TSB on 02 to 04 mustangs that had a creak from the Rack sleeves. i forgot about that one..

tt54l32v

Established Member
i would say ball joints
but just crawl under there and get someone to move the wheel back and forth

uofipilot

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. The noise comes from the front end only when turning the wheels. Hoping its just the tie rod ends. I'll see if i can get a video of the noise. Hopefully when I tear into it to do the struts I'll be able to tell for sure. I was just wondering if there was a common problem that I somehow missed.

uofipilot

Established Member
006 - Thanks for the reply. For some reason, I don't remember seeing that write up in the how to section. All of your write-ups there are great. I used your rear brakes one and it was dead on with nice pictures too.

Question though...how do you order from Prothane? Do you have to order through one of the dealers, or can you order directly from them?

uofipilot

Established Member
And I also see that they offer an "offset style" for lowered cars. Part number 6-704. What's the difference, and does it really matter? The part number you mentioned is for stock height, and I'm assuming the cobra you did it on is not stock height, so that leads me to believe there isn't an important difference?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
And I also see that they offer an "offset style" for lowered cars. Part number 6-704. What's the difference, and does it really matter? The part number you mentioned is for stock height, and I'm assuming the cobra you did it on is not stock height, so that leads me to believe there isn't an important difference?

Nah, no need for offset. You can find the parts online at various places but if you need a set, I carry both kinds.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
the creaking steering issue is one of the very next issues I want to fix with my car as well, what is the difference with the offset ones, i would think if they were made for lowered cars they would be needed?

uofipilot

Established Member
the creaking steering issue is one of the very next issues I want to fix with my car as well, what is the difference with the offset ones, i would think if they were made for lowered cars they would be needed?

I personally don't know what the difference is, but I can't really think of one. I don't see why there would be any different angles where the rack connects just because of a lowered car. Plus 006 seems to know his shit, so I'll just take his word for it.

I am curious as to what the difference is though....

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I personally don't know what the difference is, but I can't really think of one. I don't see why there would be any different angles where the rack connects just because of a lowered car. Plus 006 seems to know his shit, so I'll just take his word for it.

I am curious as to what the difference is though....

When a mustang is lowered, the tie rods are going upwards putting the tie rods in an awkward position. The off-set bushing re-locates the rack and pinion upwards so it levels the tie rods. According to MM this is not the best solution...they recommend a bump steer kit.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
so what exactly did you replace as in parts, i wanna see if I can afford the parts, I can do the install myself

uofipilot

Established Member
so what exactly did you replace as in parts, i wanna see if I can afford the parts, I can do the install myself

If you're talking about a bumpsteer kit, just look at steeda or MM.

If you;re talking about whats going on in this thread, take a look at the how-to that 006 posted. Its all outlined there. Basically its two sleeves from Ford (about $15) and a set of bushings from Prothane (I got mine for 15.99 shipped off ebay). Install looks really simple.

Users who are viewing this thread