creaks and pops

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
Has anyone found a way to get rid of them?? One minute the car sounds fine and the next I am taking a turn and it starts to make a creaking and popping noise.

Thanks

Taz

Established Member
Sounds like binding bushings.

I used to get those sounds in some situations, like backing from an inclined driveway onto the street at an angle, until I replaced all the OEM bushings.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I had a similar problem when I went up or down an off camber angle at low speeds (enetering/exiting a drive way, etc.) It ended up being the steering rack bushings were dry. I removed the bushings, lubed them with anti-seze (good trick for sqeeking poly bushings) and reinstalled them. Quiet as a mouse now. Only took about 20 minutes to fix.

exdeath

Established Member
Sounds like steering rack bushings. Does it only happen when the wheel is turned one direction? Like if you turn right, you know as soon as you turn left, it's going to pop a few times?

Look for MM rack bushings with spherical washers. They allow the rack to set properly by riding on a floating spherical washer instead of binding up on an out of plane stamped factory K member.

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
Yes, it only happens when I a turning left. When I turn the wheel back to the right is when I sometimes hear the creaking noise which sounds like a creaking door opening up. I am going to go on MM and get those brushings to see if that helps. I know that popping is pretty common, but man is i irritating and embarassing sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread