Crickets in the tranny

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Hopefully someone can help me out. When I am driving the car I hear what sounds like crickets...a constant chirping sound. When I press the clutch in just a little it goes away. It happens in all gears.

I have a STEEDA adjustable clutch quadrant but am not really sure how to adjust it (I know, I am pathetic). Do you think I just need to adjust the cable, and if so any idea how it's done? The clutch is a SPEC 3+ and does not slip at all or anything. Everything engages smoothly, just the annoying chirping that goes away when I press lightly on the clutch pedal.

Thanks for your help.

Shane

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
do a search on throwout bearing (tob), or clutch release bearing, and you will see much

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
I'm guessing it's the TOB because i also have a SPEC3+ and it's doing the same thing. I'm going to replace the crappy SPEC TOB soon with Ford's heavy duty and hopefully the retainer sleeve is still fine. You should replace yours right away.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
How big of a job is that?

It's a decently in depth job, you have to drop the trans to replace it. I'm assuming the noise goes away completely when you push in the clutch? The sound should be very noticable in neutral when you are stopped.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
It's a decently in depth job, you have to drop the trans to replace it. I'm assuming the noise goes away completely when you push in the clutch? The sound should be very noticable in neutral when you are stopped.

There is no sound when in nueutral or stopped, only when the car is in gear and in motion. As soon as I put a little pressure on the clutch pedal the noise goes away.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
It sounds like the bearing but when the car is in neutral there should still be a ticking noise unless the clutch is engaged. Pull the cover plate off the bell housing and take a look.

Albertico88

Established Member
i have the same problem but only when i am pushing on the clutch it chirps. not in neutral or when i am in gears, only when i am pushing the clutch, and it is sometimes. what could it be?

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
i have the same problem but only when i am pushing on the clutch it chirps. not in neutral or when i am in gears, only when i am pushing the clutch, and it is sometimes. what could it be?

That just sounds like your quadrant/cable or clutch pedal is squeaking somewhere.

xfrosty63x

Established Member

I am also having this sound occur only when I am pushing on the clutch or holding the clutch down regardless of the gear I'm in. It isn't very loud at all, but I have heard mention of the sound of crickets chirping and wanted to search to see if I could find the cause of mine.

rodewaldk

I had the same problem. When I pulled out the tranny I found a snapped throw out bearing retainer sleeve. It was such a clean brake I didn't even think there was anything wrong with it until a buddy told be it was supposed to be one peice lol.

xfrosty63x

Established Member
Wow. I was thinking it was probably the infamous TOB sleeve. I just got the car, so a lot of upgrading will be done when the tranny is pulled for a clutch upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread