Cross Drilled Rotors

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I have been chasing a noise in my car and can't seem to figure it out. I think it is my rotors though... has anyone else experiences a noise with cross drilled rotors? It sounds like a spoke on a 10 speed bicycle when you coast and it makes a constant tic-tic-tic-tic, but faster and more subtle.

Originally I suspected wheel bearings so I checked them all. Fronts may have been bad so I replaced them, noise still there so I checked the rears again, they don't seem bad with it on stands and the wheels rolling in gear.

I can say it isn't in the motor or clutch as it persists when the clutch is disengaged. It seems to be more prominent when the brakes are engaged, but is still there even if they aren't. It also changes tempo based on speed.

Any ideas? I'm not going to swap rotors just to be sure. And there seems to be no problems with performance. I pushed it through some corners and hard on the brakes and she felt as good as ever.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
LOL, so I just looked up the rotors and they are directional... it is quite possible that I have them on wrong.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Are they Baer? I have the 2piece Baers with the aluminum hubs....cross drilled AND slotted....and they were labeled with tags which corner they went on. The slots are weird because they mount reverse what I would have done without seeing the labels and supplement paper that came with them.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
No, DBA. I think they may have had labels for which side? I would like to think I had the sense to install them correctly, but you never know. I was also Googling it, and it appears for some people cross drilled and slotted rotors do make the described noise, especially of they are on the wrong side, but some people report it even when installed properly.

It has been a couple years and I have barely driven the car since putting them on, but the noise started after that I think.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Mine do not make that noise. Baer puts a warning on the install supplement if you do get them backwards (left on right...right on left)....they will overheat quickly, warp and damage the rotor voiding the warranty.

Here are mine mounted. I've had these rotors for probably 8 years on 2 different terminators, no noise

DSC01153.JPG

SNISTR1

Established Member
I have the lower end set of Baer rotors and these are on correct as well. It is the direction of the cooling vanes that determine which way they go.

95bfaf53ea0537870d00efdf12b26580.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNISTR1

Established Member
Op prior to me doing rotors and pads I had a similar noise. Come to find out it was caused by the rear pads dragging ever so slightly and only occasionally from the parking brake. the previous owner only had one side hooked up.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
It turns out the rotors are unidirectional, so it isn't caused by that... Although it could be the rotors, others have experienced noise with the rotors.

I am going to pull them and check the mating surfaces, and see if anything looks funky.

Based on what I have read though, it could be normal noise based on the rotor and pad choice.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Your car sits a lot right? Any surface rust build up on the rotors? Even though it should come right off with driving.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Had a bimmer with brembo rotors that had a dimple wear mark and it would cause that ticking noise. You could only hear it driving next to a tall sidewalk or a wall. I'd say it's normal if the car stops fine and has no problems.

GDDYUP

Established Member
I had a similar noise that was driving me nuts. I had read everywhere that my noise was "normal" due to having drilled and slotted rotors. However, I decided to pull the brakes apart and check them out. The clip that holds the pad in place inside the outside portion of the caliper had broken off and was allowing the pad to "click" up against the caliper while breaking creating the noise that was driving me nuts! If I can find a picture later, I'll post it here. I have it somewhere....

Users who are viewing this thread