crossover tube o-rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvanlant

Established Member
Both orings are bad on my crossover tube. I bought some similar-size o rings at the hardware store, but I can't get the crossover back into the heads.
Do these tubes need special "flat" orings? Anyone know where to get them?

scotts99snake

Established Member
I wish I knew you needed them, I just gave 3 to another member. I called procharger and they told me the size. I then went on ebay and ordered a 5 pack for well under $4 a piece.

Slowbra01

Established Member
my crossover plug is leaking coolant ever since i did a recent flush, i have found similar sized o rings from discount auto and are still leaking. can you please send me a link to the correct ones!

I'm probably gonna have to change out the belt soon due to the coolant leaking all over them and the pullies!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I wish I knew you needed them, I just gave 3 to another member. I called procharger and they told me the size. I then went on ebay and ordered a 5 pack for well under $4 a piece.
Love to get this info since the Coolant Crossover tube Pro-charger sent me didn't have them either.. What search do you use on Ebay?:rockon:

1999 Cobra

Established Member
i used the ones from a local parts store, just put a little grease on them and they slipped right in and haven't leaked at all

tvanlant

Established Member
I couldn't find any at the parts store that worked. They were all too fat. I got a set from Ford and they worked perfect and were obviously thinner than the generic o-rings. $3 a piece.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Good looking out on the part number. Went to the dealership myself and they tried to find the crossover cap with orings and couldnt. Seems you have to ask for a thunderbird crossover cap which is the same. -Shane

Last edited:

fastback brian

Established Member
they are specific size as noted, they are not a flat oring, if yours are flat looking that means they are worn out, done.... might as well get three and replace the center one too.. on a side note, seems every 4.6 4v Ive seen lately has needed a new fill plug.. Ford doesnt list them for the cobras but they do for the old mark8's, nice to have a new one that doesnt leak and with a nice clean square hole..

Slowbra01

Established Member
Guys, do you happen to have the part number for the crossover plug where the coolant is poured into? I bought the orings with the part number 391533-S100 thinking that it was for the cap and when i got home, they were too big. After rereading the post, the orings are for the tube itself. But i need the orings for the cap. Anyone?

cotchnobra

Established Member
Guys, do you happen to have the part number for the crossover plug where the coolant is poured into? I bought the orings with the part number 391533-S100 thinking that it was for the cap and when i got home, they were too big. After rereading the post, the orings are for the tube itself. But i need the orings for the cap. Anyone?

the coolant crossover plug or what some call a "Burp Valve" is ford part number F3LY-8A500-A and come with the o-ring. At the ford part counter they dont come up for a cobra and will tell you all they can get is the whole crossover assembly. But if they look it up for a Mark 8, which is the same plug, you can buy just the plug.

98mark8lsc

Established Member
the coolant crossover plug or what some call a "Burp Valve" is ford part number F3LY-8A500-A and come with the o-ring. At the ford part counter they dont come up for a cobra and will tell you all they can get is the whole crossover assembly. But if they look it up for a Mark 8, which is the same plug, you can buy just the plug.

Here's a better option......CLICK

They're probably about the same price, too....

Slowbra01

Established Member
i know it's been a while but i have yet to get that plug! tried clicking on the link above but for some reason i can't see the thread! i do remember when it was first posted that i was able to see it. new link anyone?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Guys Im still building the temp adapters and Stock replacement plugs.

$30 shipped for the tapped temp adapter

$25 shipped for the Stock replacement plug.

Paypal [email protected]

DSC03754-1.jpg

427-4

Cobra Crossover tube O ring Size

I have had the same problem of leaking Crossover tube O rings.
Nobody knows the size of these... so I decided to research it.
The specs are: "Viton Orings #914 Hydraulic SAE BOSS 7/8"
Make sure you get the Viton material. It has the correct Temperature range and does not absorb Coolant, oils or grease. The diameter of the oring is 0.116" - 0.118"

Viton Orings #914 Hydraulic SAE BOSS 7/8" Price for 10 pcs - Orings and More

I have them installed on my 1999 cobra.

The coolant fill cap is a AS 568-015
This was not an easy find
:banana:

CJK440

Established Member
nice to have a new one that doesnt leak and with a nice clean square hole..

That's because somebody thought more torque will seal it. The O ring seals in a bore. The only time more torque helps is if the O ring is leaking. The cap just needs to be snugged up, not cranked down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread