cruise control issue

beau t

Established Member
i have a o4 cobra with a kb s/c and single blade t/b, while driving around with the cruise on the car surges, seems like the cruise cable is to long my question is has anyone else had this issue and if so what to do to fix the problem. this has been a issue since installing, it appears that the cable needs to be shorter but i hate to mess up a cable to experiment with it any help would be much appreciated.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Pretty sure the cam profile of the SBTB throttle linkage is what causes this. The manufacturers change the shape of the cam to get the TB open at a different pedal location so that part throttle opens the TB up more. The cruise control is doing its job but the SBTB linkage cam shape is magnifying the cruise control operation giving you a surge sensation.

I'm not sure if any have corrected this with anything other than throttle body change. Try searching with google "03 cobra cruise control surge single blade". I think it's pretty common...

Sagittaria

Established Member
As mentioned above it's a SBTB common problem. I had an early accufab which I easily fixed by a bracket that basically rotates the cam forward a bit and takes up the "slack" on the cruise control.

See the last post for a basic how to.
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/158623-Cruise-control-issue-with-Whipple-on-04

Also tightens up the gas pedal slightly... which was a plus for me. The accufab out of the box put my pedal too close to the floor.. and was a bit too touchy.

beau t

Established Member
looks simple enough to make parts and modify. thanks for the help guys this is great!
looking forward to a smoother cruise control

Users who are viewing this thread