Cryogenic treating of parts - found a good resource

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
I hope this doesn't violate any "forum policy" - if so, just nuke it.

These guys are the (self-proclaimed) oldest and largest cryogenic treater dealing with the motorsports industry:
http://www.300below.com/site/home.html

They've been on the Discovery Channel speaking about cryo treating.

Minimum run charge is $75, or $1.50 to $3.50/pound depending on part type (rotors are $1.50, gears are $3.50/pound).

They will do an ENTIRE (disassembled) long block engine (block, crank, rods, pistons, rings, springs, bearings, heads, cams, etc, etc) for $575.00.
NO wrist pins (there's a technical reason).
OCCASIONALLY treated rings can take longer to seat (so fitment will be critical)
NO cement filled blocks (hardblocks)!
Mallory slugged cranks are un-treatable as the expansion differentials can crack the crank.
In general, all major machining should be done BEFORE treatment.

They stated a treated engine will produce 2% to 6% more power (due to the stress relief the process provides).

Their process is proprietary and it's a cold process followed by a heat process, and they will not derivate because it's the way that works. Theirs is a VAPOR process - there's NO liquid immersion.

Contrary to what another cryo treater has told me, there is NO issue with treating parts that have specialty coatings, or having coatings applied following treatment (provided they don't involve a large amount of heat stress).

They treat twice a week - Tuesdays and Fridays at noon. So, if you get it to them on Tuesday it will ship back to you on Friday, etc. They have a chamber that can take stock up to TWENTY FEET long.

I spoke, at length, with Bob Reed (who is himself published on the subject). If anyone has any questions he's a very easy guy to deal with.
Bob Reed
Motorsports Division Manager
300 Below, Inc.
2999 East Parkway Drive
Decatur, IL 62526
Phone: (800)550-2796
Fax: (217)423-3075
[email protected]

IMO - things to consider:
stock oil pumps
stock axles
rear & tranny gears (including input shafts)

If you've seen my thread on ModFords in re: my cryo-treated rotors you know I am a big believer in the process.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...d-rotors-after-45k-miles-major-duw-36391.html

No ties here, no kick-backs, just an FYI....
YMMV -
Don

Users who are viewing this thread