CSVT in the winter?

Scottman

Established Member
How are these cars in the winter? I have heard that the stock tires are terrible from a few people for the winter. How does it compare to a 2nd gen SHO with a 5speed? Thanks!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
my CSVT sucked in the winter. I think it was the shoes tho. IMO the BFG KDWs SUCK in the snow. Othertimes, they SHINE. I don't know about the MTX SHO...yet, but my 93 ATX SHO was really good in the snow. so it comes down to the shoes on it. But, from me when i needed to turn, E-BRAKE!!

LI-SVT

Established Member
The only problem I have is a standing start, otherwise the car drives fine in the snow. Using Eagle RS-A's instaed of the F1's helped to get it going from a stop. IMO any car with low weight, high power, and a MT will have some problem hooking up in the snow.

The BigSHO

Established Member
The CSVT and SHO both handle well if you dump the Z-rated tires and get snow tires or at least all season. You got to keep your foot out of them. Both cars have traction problems, especially the SHO.

Six cars for four drivers...

2000 CSVT Red Modded (Son)
2000 CSVT Green (Daugther)
2000 Mercury Cougar v6/5spd (Wife)
1998.5 CSVT Silver (Mine)
1992 Taurus SHO Black (Mine)
1987 Buick GN Black (Son)

Last edited:

garrick42

Just like any other vehicle, if you take it slow and steady, keep a space cushion around you as best you can, and watch out for people who do this: :loser: (love the smilies on this board!), it's not bad.

Tire choice goes a log way toward determining winter driving performance, too. Super hi-performance tires typically make compromises that mean winter traction is poor. I just swapped out my Firehawk SZ50 EP's (incredible rain tires) for Kumho Ecsta HP4 716's from TireRack.com. They're cheap, and only have an H speed rating, but they're all-season and worked just fine in Denver's first snow of the season (the roads were downright icy).

Unless you've seriously modded your SVT, the power on tap is quite manageable. Just keep a light foot, and start off in second gear if you need a bit more traction.

98BlueOvalSVT

Established Member
I swap over to winter tires each fall and back to the F1's in the spring. If you want a good set of WINTER tires, I have to suggest the TOYO Observe. They are absolutely amazing on the CSVT.
We have icy road most of the time and these things grip like you would not beleive.
They actually have ground up walnut shells embedded in the rubber compound. I am not a tire salesman but I have recommended these to everyone looking for true Winter tires.
Probably overkill for most area south of the 49th where a good set of all seasons should do fine.
Just my $.02;-)

SteedaSVT

Established Member
well i had Yokohama A520's on my SHO 5 speed horrilbe i got stuck on flat ground

The SVT has never seen snow until this weekend when i hit a wall of it then i hit the ditch at a high rate of speed not good
AVS sports no gooda in the snow
Good Michigan winters already trouble

Poison_S

Established Member
If anyone is interested, I have a set of Blizzak MZ-01's for sale. The tires were used two seasons on a Contour SVT that has sold.
205/55/16's
About 9000 miles are on them and have at least two seasons left in them.

$250 shipped. PM me if you are interested.

1qwkpny

Established Member
I found that the 15x7in. factory rims off my '89 Stang bolted right on and that will a good snow tire these little monsters do really well in the snow/ice. OF course those slotted wheels look like crap but they work.

Users who are viewing this thread