CSVT vs M3

Y2KSVT

Established Member
So a few weeks ago Im cruising around in my 00 CSVT with 2 buddies. Minding my own business, a 94-95 BMW M3 comes strolling up after I pull a U-turn. He's doing about 15 in 1st gear, so I know he wants to go. I figure, what the hell, let's try it. Now he pulls about a car up to 90, so I take it as a loss, although I did have the other 2 passengers. So this weekend, we meet again. He refused to believe I had 2 passengers in my car that night, and that he walked me pretty good. We decide to go out and do it right, from a dig. I was a little leary since I just put my Dunlop Super Sport Race tires on my new 16 pound, 17" wheels. Now these tires have a 60 treadware and I haven't even tried launching on them yet. So we make it out to the usual spot and take our positions at the light. The light turns green, we're both off. Now this has to have been the closest race Ive ever been in. Up to 125+ mph I was about a fender length in front of him on the outside lane of a slight bend. We did 3 more of these races with the same outcome. I don't think he could believe what just happened. So I guess I'll take this one as a kill :beer:

Mark

Last edited:

DON VITO

Established Member
Sounds like fun, nice race.

what body style was it? If it was the E36 it was a 95 or newer. prior to 95 it was the the E30 body style.

Sounds like the guy could not drive for shit because this is definitely not what "should" have happened, but hey anything can happen on the street.

I ran into a modded SVT contour a couple months back in my M3. We ran a couple of times and it was not close, period. Funny thing is, the guy was all bent like me beating him was a big shock. Don't really no why people don't respect the E36 M3 :shrug: ??? I can hang dead even with STI's and it's a drivers race with the EVO.

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Ya know I'll be honest, I haven't done my homework on the M3 as much as I should have. I should have asked what year his car was. I'd be willing to guess it was a 94 E30. I say that because I did see a black M3 on the road today that had a little bit of a "mean" look to the front compared to the one I raced. The body itself looked the same, just the front bumper fascia looked a little different. Not sure if certain colors were offered in different years, but his looks like a dark forrest green, had tan leather and is a 5 speed. He says he takes everyone out of the hole and I was neck and neck with him from the launch. I was powershifting and wasn't gaining much on him. I just think the HP to weight ratio was on almost dead even with our cars because even in the longer gears (3rd and 4th) nobody really pulled so it wasn't a matter of shifting.

What is the HP rating on the E30? What 1/4 mile times are average for them? I personally have one of the "better" 1/4 mile times for a N/A CSVT so I don't know what the guy you raced had done. I have a 3.0L motor swap with almost every bolt-on. I put down 195FWHP 190FWT and run 14.49 @ 96. Is that still not close to a stock E30?

Mark

Last edited:

DON VITO

Established Member
Originally posted by Knoximous
Ya know I'll be honest, I haven't done my homework on the M3 as much as I should have. I should have asked what year his car was. I'd be willing to guess it was a 94 E30. I say that because I did see a black M3 on the road today that had a little bit of a "mean" look to the front compared to the one I raced. The body itself looked the same, just the front bumper fascia looked a little different. Not sure if certain colors were offered in different years, but his looks like a dark forrest green, had tan leather and is a 5 speed. He says he takes everyone out of the hole and I was neck and neck with him from the launch. I was powershifting and wasn't gaining much on him. I just think the HP to weight ratio was on almost dead even with our cars because even in the longer gears (3rd and 4th) nobody really pulled so it wasn't a matter of shifting.

What is the HP rating on the E30? What 1/4 mile times are average for them? I personally have one of the "better" 1/4 mile times for a N/A CSVT so I don't know what the guy you raced had done. I have a 3.0L motor swap with almost every bolt-on. I put down 195FWHP 190FWT and run 14.49 @ 96. Is that still not close to a stock E30?

Mark

The E30 is a much smaller car and it has flaired fenders. I think you ran an E36 based on what you have said. The E36 M3 has 240HP stock so anywhere form 195 to 210 at the wheels. I didn't notice the 1/4 mile times you are getting, those are very good for your car. If the guy was stock that would explain it. I think the outcome would have been much different if it were an E30. The E30 was rated at 195hp and 170TQ. weighing in at 2733 LBS. I would assume that your car would not have much of a problem with the E30.

I am sitting at 270 crank HP so that really is not a good comparison, and who knows what the guy I ran had mod wise?? Sounds like you had a good match up their. :rockon:

My best 1/4 mile was 13.9 at 101.

Last edited:

Cal

Established Member
Sounds like a nice race. Love those close ones.

This is how a conversation between enthusiasts should be. There is no fighting, no ****yness, and nobody is letting their pride of their cars get in the way.

Y2KSVT

Established Member
So you're saying the E30(older M3) has more power than the E36(newer M3) model? My car weighs probably close to 3000lbs, maybe even a little under. Id like to think I could pull a 14.3 with these new wheels/tires. Most modified 2.5L SVTs are only putting down roughly 180FWHP and 170FWTQ. Ive owned mine since new in 2000 so I have no reason not to know how to drive it. I'd be willing to bet I could pull a 2.0X 60' time with these wheels/tires and possibly trap 98mph. The M3 I raced was also a 2 door. I hope I don't have you thinking Im getting this body style mixed up with the Box style 89ish M3 with the high wing. The mid 90's M3s look pretty close in body style though. Maybe if I had a pic I could distinguish the difference. Either way, it was a fun race.

Mark

DON VITO

Established Member
So you're saying the E30(older M3) has more power than the E36(newer M3) model? My car weighs probably close to 3000lbs, maybe even a little under. Id like to think I could pull a 14.3 with these new wheels/tires. Most modified 2.5L SVTs are only putting down roughly 180FWHP and 170FWTQ. Ive owned mine since new in 2000 so I have no reason not to know how to drive it. I'd be willing to bet I could pull a 2.0X 60' time with these wheels/tires and possibly trap 98mph. The M3 I raced was also a 2 door. I hope I don't have you thinking Im getting this body style mixed up with the Box style 89ish M3 with the high wing. The mid 90's M3s look pretty close in body style though. Maybe if I had a pic I could distinguish the difference. Either way, it was a fun race.

Mark

No, I probably confused you. The E30 has 195 crank HP, the E36 M3 has 240 crank HP, and the E46 M3 has 333 crank HP. I don't think you're confusing the body styles, I think you definitely ran into an E36 M3. Which typically run in the mid to low 14's stock so you were matched pretty evenly with him, it sounds like you out drove him. :beer:

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Botlefed: I have a CSVT (Contour SVT) Not CTS-V(Cadillac CTS w/ Z06 motor)..

With 195FWHP I would imagine Im upwards of 235-240 Crank Power. Stock we have 200HP and about 165TQ at the crank. Id be willing to bet the M3 has a pretty nice looking dyno graph. Seemed to be comparable with power under the curve, and top end.

Mark

Steeltwo

Established Member
nothing like a nice bolton hybrid :)

but damn I thought with a 3L and most of the bolt ons it'd have a tad more HP.

guess its good that I have a dsm to mod :)

Y2KSVT

Established Member
I guess I can't say "most" bolt ons.. I can say "most general" bolt ons.. I have MSDS Headers, Bassani Catback, 9" K&N with MAF Adapter. Im still running stock SVT Heads(No P&P, and still have 2.5L Valves), stock pullies, stock T/B, stock MAF..

Other mods are 9.5mm FMS Wires, Autolite Platinum Plugs, Quaife LSD, Fidanza 11lb Flywheel, Spec Stage I Clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, DMD(Dual Mode Damper) crank pulley.

This is all still without a tune. If I were to do some more work such as 65mm T/B, P&P Heads with 3L Valves, Port matched Intake manifolds, 75mm MAF, and a tune, I'd probably be seeing some 220FWHP #'s. Guess I'll just put the VCN-2000 on in the spring and run a 75-100 shot and not mess with all the other stuff.

If you're looking for more power per dollar, stick with the DSM..
If you want originality, go with the SVT :coolman:

Mark
Y2KSVT

Steeltwo

Established Member

If you're looking for more power per dollar, stick with the DSM..
If you want originality, go with the SVT :coolman:

Mark
Y2KSVT

this is why I have both

:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread