Cummins fined $1.675b for emissions

_Snake_

Established Member
WASHINGTON, Dec 22 (Reuters) - Truck engine maker Cummins Inc (CMI.N) has agreed in principle to pay a $1.675 billion fine for installing devices on hundreds of thousands of engines to allow them to emit excess pollution, the largest-ever civil penalty for a Clean Air Act violation, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday.

The Department said Cummins allegedly installed so-called "defeat devices" to bypass or disable emissions controls such as emission sensors and onboard computers

The department said Cummins used defeat devices on 630,000 2013 to 2019 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines and undisclosed auxiliary emission control devices on 330,000 2019 to 2023 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines to cheat emissions control requirements.

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said "preliminary estimates suggest that defeat devices on some Cummins engines have caused them to produce thousands of tons of excess emissions of nitrogen oxides." It is the second largest environmental penalty deal ever reached, the department said

More here

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
WASHINGTON, Dec 22 (Reuters) - Truck engine maker Cummins Inc (CMI.N) has agreed in principle to pay a $1.675 billion fine for installing devices on hundreds of thousands of engines to allow them to emit excess pollution, the largest-ever civil penalty for a Clean Air Act violation, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday.

The Department said Cummins allegedly installed so-called "defeat devices" to bypass or disable emissions controls such as emission sensors and onboard computers

The department said Cummins used defeat devices on 630,000 2013 to 2019 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines and undisclosed auxiliary emission control devices on 330,000 2019 to 2023 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines to cheat emissions control requirements.

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said "preliminary estimates suggest that defeat devices on some Cummins engines have caused them to produce thousands of tons of excess emissions of nitrogen oxides." It is the second largest environmental penalty deal ever reached, the department said

More here
Curious if this is why I received a letter yesterday from Ford and Roush to voluntarily submit my Raptor for evaluation in the EPA's "IN-Use" program. They offered me a loaner, $200 and any required repairs on their dime. Was gonna make a post about it but decided it wasnt worth it. Now that were on the topic has anyone else received one of these letters???

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Such Gestapo tactics make me wonder if anyone kicking around the idea of a tune should buy one sooner rather than later even for vehicles where emissions are not bypassed or relaxed.

How long before the government attempts to put all tuners OOB?

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Such Gestapo tactics make me wonder if anyone kicking around the idea of a tune should buy one sooner rather than later even for vehicles where emissions are not bypassed or relaxed.

How long before the government attempts to put all tuners OOB?
The laptop I use for my cobra does not see the internet other than to update the Binary Editor on it. I probably need to do that since it’s been several months since I’ve even turned it on ha

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

More here

I'll be saving this one to read later.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
In one article I read on this case, the government claims, "this type of pollution affects people of color more, because they are more likely to live next to highways".
You serious clark.gif

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I read the story, and I haven't seen what they are actually claiming the "defeat device" was. I'm guessing it's just software related. Sorta like you can cut off the dpf and the truck will run fine, but just throw a check engine light.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe so, probably used/left some development code in the software from Bosch or another supplier. Ridiculous!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
"The excess emissions can have particular impact on communities composed predominantly of persons of color or individuals below the poverty line.

EPA Administrator Michael Regan in a statement said "vulnerable communities are more likely to reside near highways where these harmful emissions are concentrated, making this agreement critical to advancing our environmental justice agenda."

Papaw

Established Member
What a load of Poop!

So the pollutants don't go up into the atmosphere???
They stay in the neighborhood where they are produced???
Why are we trying to save the poles and glaciers if emissions don't even get there?
These people get kookier every day!

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Wonder when they are gonna ban handhelds for gas motors...

And suggestions for my 15 5.0 screw? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread