Current New Vehicle Market

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I hear what you're saying...But...

Luckily football paid for my college tuition. How come you get some of your tax money back, and I can't?
Yes and what about people that paid as they go like me. Never had a loan but I spent 6 years to get through.

Bottom line is that anyone promoting or hoping for this is a little bitch.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Yes and what about people that paid as they go like me. Never had a loan but I spent 6 years to get through.

Bottom line is that anyone promoting or hoping for this is a little bitch.

Idk man. Sounds like your whataboutmeism is showing. Whining like a child about it is a little bitch move.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Idk man. Sounds like your whataboutmeism is showing. Whining like a child about it is a little bitch move.
Whining about people whining about paying back shit they bought. Ok then. How about people ask for nothing and just do what they said they would do.

And a 10K prize for people that paid off their loans. LMAO. GTFOH. You must have won many participation trophies growing up.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Whining about people whining about paying back shit they bought. Ok then. How about people ask for nothing and just do what they said they would do.

And a 10K prize for people that paid off their loans. LMAO. GTFOH. You must have won many participation trophies growing up.

Only thing I'm asking for is what i'm owed, which is my taxes back, right? Just forwarding that check to the loan servicer

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm all for you getting yours back too. There's no whataboutmeism in this. Whether yours is a tax credit, write off, whatever you paid into the system, you have a way to get something back.

Too many people assume folks with student loans are benevolently calculating how we can hoard the SL forgiveness and exclude as many folks as possible. For me and mine, not the case. I have always thought there should be a 10k dollar tax credit for anyone who paid off formerly qualifying loans.

I didn't have loans though. So, should I get $10k back in my taxes just because?

Only thing I'm asking for is what i'm owed, which is my taxes back, right? Just forwarding that check to the loan servicer

You aren't owed your taxes back haha

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm all for you getting yours back too. There's no whataboutmeism in this. Whether yours is a tax credit, write off, whatever you paid into the system, you have a way to get something back.

Too many people assume folks with student loans are benevolently calculating how we can hoard the SL forgiveness and exclude as many folks as possible. For me and mine, not the case. I have always thought there should be a 10k dollar tax credit for anyone who paid off formerly qualifying loans.

Oy vey.

Why? The whole point of education is that it positions you better than those without. You are advocating giving a credit to those that are presumably rewarded for their efforts.

The income cap for the credit is $250k per household. This is the top 5% of the income distribution.

Student loans are not even in distress. Presumably the point of the credit is to help those that need it. Very few actually need it.

It is not means tested. So the Harvard MBA gets the same benefit as a single mom working her way through nursing school.

The reason the higher education is ****ed up is the growth of administrators. Many schools have as many administrators as students. Subsidizing tuition only subsidizes this.

Another reason that education is ****ed up is the massive amount of govt subsidy already in the system. We have already been through this. Govt guaranteed student loans up until the mid 2010s. Grants. Tax exemptions. Etc. etc. The cure for the distortion of govt subsidy is not more subsidy.

The govt subsidy is actually a tax on those that pursue careers that do not require traditional college. It is a blatant giveaway to the dem base. The subsidy is actually tuition. The wealth transfer is to institutions.

We already have massively subsidized college. You could have started in community College and transferred to a state college. If you majored in STEM field your ROI is multiples of what you paid. If you cannot pay your student debt it is because you ****ed up not me.

Free school already largely exists. Everyone wants free college but no one wants to go to a free college

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Oy vey.

Why? The whole point of education is that it positions you better than those without. You are advocating giving a credit to those that are presumably rewarded for their efforts.

The income cap for the credit is $250k per household. This is the top 5% of the income distribution.

Student loans are not even in distress. Presumably the point of the credit is to help those that need it. Very few actually need it.

It is not means tested. So the Harvard MBA gets the same benefit as a single mom working her way through nursing school.

The reason the higher education is ****ed up is the growth of administrators. Many schools have as many administrators as students. Subsidizing tuition only subsidizes this.

Another reason that education is ****ed up is the massive amount of govt subsidy already in the system. We have already been through this. Govt guaranteed student loans up until the mid 2010s. Grants. Tax exemptions. Etc. etc. The cure for the distortion of govt subsidy is not more subsidy.

The govt subsidy is actually a tax on those that pursue careers that do not require traditional college. It is a blatant giveaway to the dem base. The subsidy is actually tuition. The wealth transfer is to institutions.

We already have massively subsidized college. You could have started in community College and transferred to a state college. If you majored in STEM field your ROI is multiples of what you paid. If you cannot pay your student debt it is because you ****ed up not me.

Klaus you're missing the point. I am making a play on the taxation is theft thing.

All of what you said is correct. I think higher education has been broken for many years. I am actually annoyed they have yet to propose any major overhauls to the system. It makes no sense. SL forgiveness, sure great whatever I'll take it if it comes down. But it's a two part issue.

Everyone in here is assuming I have a crap degree at 100k+. I will in fact have my shit paid off by this pretty much if it goes through. If it doesn't, no skin off my back. But I would def turn around and buy a new truck if I didn't have a SL payment.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Klaus you're missing the point. I am making a play on the taxation is theft thing.

All of what you said is correct. I think higher education has been broken for many years. I am actually annoyed they have yet to propose any major overhauls to the system. It makes no sense. SL forgiveness, sure great whatever I'll take it if it comes down. But it's a two part issue.

Everyone in here is assuming I have a crap degree at 100k+. I will in fact have my shit paid off by this pretty much if it goes through. If it doesn't, no skin off my back. But I would def turn around and buy a new truck if I didn't have a SL payment.

Or: put it savings instead going further into debt?

But: I hear you. And I would not turn down the credit either.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Ps you can tell I, like many, feel very strongly about this. I made explicit sacrifices to fund my education and went in to debt to fund it. I had a plan going in and out. And I am better for it.

It really pisses me off that I now have to subsidize those that did not but still want the reward. There should be consequences for those that did not.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Ps you can tell I, like many, feel very strongly about this. I made explicit sacrifices to fund my education and went in to debt to fund it. I had a plan going in and out. And I am better for it.

It really pisses me off that I now have to subsidize those that did not but still want the reward. There should be consequences for those that did not.
Preach it. We are getting to the point (if we are not there already) where college is a lifestyle choice for middling intellects that now want bailed out. There is a whole class developing of entitled mediocrities that are a leech on society. My only hope is they keep taking covid boosters.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member

For sure. I empathize and understand. I'm not discrediting your position at all. But I also see there's going to be folks that do genuinely need the help, like teachers, police officers, nurses, small town doctors etc. They don't all make 100k+

The hard part is how do you target it to the folks that need the help and not sweep in the folks who don't. You can just opt to not, but when SL's can not be wiped with bankruptcy, I have no issue with giving them some sort of break.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The hard part is how do you target it to the folks that need the help and not sweep in the folks who don't.

You give it to everyone. Or below an income level. If the point is to actually subsidize pickup truck purchases then subsidize pickup truck purchases.

Alternatively it is not the govt job to subsidize education or pickup trucks or anything else.

This is another point that is galling. This is actually a consumption subsidy. The point is to allow those with student debt to consume at a level that they would if they were not in debt.

So the policy response is to subsidize tuition and wrap it up in a disingenuous packaging that this is about making education more accessible.

Which you have figured out as you are using it to buy a pickup truck.

Not to mention the illegality of it - it is an executive order based on emergency powers granted during 9/11 to apply during the COVID "emergency." Last i checked congress was in charge of appropriations. It is ****ing outrageous.

Last edited:

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

You/We are also subsidizing people that took absolutely worthless degree paths…

Imagine how shitty that is the guys in the trades that never went to college. They’re now paying for someone else’s Gender studies degree.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
This thread is heading off track but what I think frustrates me the most is that if these loans are so bad that they must "forgive" them, you would think they would address the root of the problem before handing out $10+k. After this one-time payment, what happens to everyone who takes the exact same loan out the very next day?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
You/We are also subsidizing people that took absolutely worthless degree paths…

Imagine how shitty that is the guys in the trades that never went to college. They’re now paying for someone else’s Gender studies degree.

Imagine a giveaway specifically targeted at Republicans. $3k for CPAP machines and $1k for every gun owned. By executive order based on emergency powers. The student loan giveaway is every bit as gross.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
* When's the last time you read about an educational institution lowering their tuition by 5%, 10%, 15%?

* Our societies based and built on one's ability to contribute to it. If you're sucking instead of contributing, GTFO.

* Not everyone should go to college. Maybe 50%.
The illegal raping of America to put money in the pockets college administrators, bi-coastal elites, and snot-nosed punks in over their heads is one of the most maddening issues today.
It must stop.

Users who are viewing this thread