Custom cams gains worth it?

freebird50

Established Member
I have a 98 cobra running 26 pounds of boost vortech v1 hd ti trim. Built motor. Stock heads, cams, and intake. Would a set of cams designed for high boost increase my HP by a lot? Also thinking of doing the php stage 2 intake. Thanks. I figured custom cams and the php would add about 60rwhp. What do you guys think?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
With cams you’ll probably drop 2# boost and pick up close to 100hp.
Yes at that level it’s more than worth it.
-J

freebird50

Established Member
With cams you’ll probably drop 2# boost and pick up close to 100hp.
Yes at that level it’s more than worth it.
-J
Holy smokes. My tuner recommended cams as well. Just pricey but worth it I guess! Thanks

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Holy smokes. My tuner recommended cams as well. Just pricey but worth it I guess! Thanks
Yes it’s a huge restriction on letting the motor swallow that boost (a measure of restriction).
And the motor will be much more efficient and swallow the boost and gain at least 500-1000rpm extension.
In this case it’s worth it.
-J

freebird50

Established Member
Yes it’s a huge restriction on letting the motor swallow that boost (a measure of restriction).
And the motor will be much more efficient and swallow the boost and gain at least 500-1000rpm extension.
-J
Thanks again. Really appreciate the advice.

freebird50

Established Member
-J
Any thoughts on best place to get custom cams?

freebird50

Established Member

Did u ever recheck output. 26psi and in the 670 isn’t right. I know u made a thread back in march.
Still like to go to Shawn one of these days hopefully soon. To verify output. Smoked another alternator too I've been through like 5 of these things lol. I tried js alternators but they don't make one for the 98s nor does nations or anyone I can find. But other than that the car seems ok. Trip to aed will happen when I have some time. And a few extra bucks.

gtmustang00

Established Member
For sure do a set of cams from Todd Warren. While you are at it port the heads. I did that on my 03 cobra and world of difference.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Still like to go to Shawn one of these days hopefully soon. To verify output. Smoked another alternator too I've been through like 5 of these things lol. I tried js alternators but they don't make one for the 98s nor does nations or anyone I can find. But other than that the car seems ok. Trip to aed will happen when I have some time. And a few extra bucks.
Yea you’re over spinning it and you need a regulator if I had to guess. I have a nations in my car and it’s a 98 lol.

freebird50

Established Member
For sure do a set of cams from Todd Warren. While you are at it port the heads. I did that on my 03 cobra and world of difference.
I thought b heads didn't need porting because the intake ports are already very large and it uses two per cylinder. Maybe on the exhaust but pulling the heads is a whole new can of worms. Rather not. But thank you for your response I appreciate it.

96dreamer

Established Member
You can also put on a larger alternator pulley to slow it down. I just put a metco 3.0" on for the same reason. Not sure how much your over spinning but I have a 3.2" already modified for our alternators sitting on the shelf. It will require a new belt most likely

freebird50

Established Member
You can also put on a larger alternator pulley to slow it down. I just put a metco 3.0" on for the same reason. Not sure how much your over spinning but I have a 3.2" already modified for our alternators sitting on the shelf. It will require a new belt most likely
I put on a 3.2in pulley and it lasted a while but still gave out. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread