Custom Carputer Installed

Homebrew

Established Member
I've recently shown this system off to some of the Mid-Atlantic guys and thought I'd share with rest of you guys. This is a project that I've been working on for a over a year and a half. It was originally intended to go into my Mountaineer, but unfortunatly that met with untimely demise. I was actually like a day away from installing it when the truck was hit. Needless to say, the project was carried over into the Cobra and it is finally installed. It's still in a "beta" status as there are still many bugs to work out. However there's a ton of potential in the system and I'm hopefull that the bugs will get worked out. All of the work was done by me including molding the touchscreen into the factory radio bezel. The entire computer system is inside the dash where the factory radio was with some parts being just below where the radio sat.

The system totally replaces the Head Unit and is controlled via a 7" touchscreen molded into the factory radio bezel. It's a full fledged computer running Windows XP with specialized front end software called RoadRunner for the user interface. The front end is completely skinable and able to be changed to suit your needs. The software I'm currently using is Open Source and gaining alot of support. The following features are directly supported by the frontend:

1. Music
2. Video
3. DVD
4. Navigation (navigation software required)
5. Web Surfing (you'll need someway to connect to the internet)
6. CD/DVD ripping
7. Radio (you'll need a pc connectable radio tuner)
8. Satellite Radio (again a pc connectable tuner is required)
9. TV (A tv tuner card is required)
10. Cell Phone control (recieve/make calls via bluetooth/direct connection to your cell phone)
11. Voice control of the system

Other possibilities:
1. Full-time monitoring and logging of engine paramaters through the ECU
2. Video Cam feeds (reverse camera, vehicle mounted camers, cabin cam, etc)
3. Control of various interior functions (windows, door locks, climate control, obviously this would take some work, but not impossible)
4. Various mobile broadband programs are being initiated. There's some software being designed that reads your gps data to find your location then logs onto some of those internet gas price websites and finds the cheapest station based on your current location.

System Details:
Via Epia MII 12000 Mini-Itx motherboard: embeded 1.2ghz processor
512MB Ram
80G 5400rpm 2.5" notebook hard drive
Slimline notebook slot-load DVD-RW drive
Onboard Video
Onboard Audio
Globalsat br-355 GPS reciever with serial cable. (Mine is actually rebadged by semesons as the i.trek s3.)
Iguidance 3 (navagation software)
RoadRunner (Frontend)
7" Xenarc 700TSV Touchscreen
DSATX 220W DC-DC Power Supply with integrated Shutdown Controller

Here's a quick run down on the system's design. Via Epia motherboards are very small formfactor (about 7.5" x 7.5") with embeded via processors. A general rule of thumb on the via processors is to deduct some of the mhz when comparing to pentium processors. My 1200mhz MII is really about as fast an 800mhz pentium give or take. You can get mini-itx formfactor motherboards that use P4 or Pentium Mobile processors, but such combo's can be much more expensive than an epia board. Plus what I like about the MII motherboards is that you get a PCMCIA slot as well as a Compact Flash slot. Also, via motherboards consume very little power. Though the newer pentium mobile's are getting pretty efficient.

The way the system works, the power supply's shutdown controller controls when the computer comes on and turns off. When the Accessory line comes on, a signal is sent from the power supply to the computer to turn it on. Then when the Accessory line goes off, the power supply sends a signal to windows to hibernate. This has led to problem however. If you cycle the key to quickly, say to roll up the windows that you forgot about, the computer doesn't have enough time to get into windows thus, windows never recieves the signal to hibernate and continues to run. The powersupply does shut off after 90 seconds to keep the battery from being drained, but that means the computer gets shut down hard. Not something you want happening alot. I'm exploring various solutions to this.

My current incomplete list:
1. Radio Tuner Status: Incomplete
There's a Head Unit quality radio tuner project going on over at mp3car.com. Once they release their amplified version, I plan to get one.

2. Install the DVD-RW drive Status: Complete
My original plan was to install the drive in the console, however I recently discovered it won't fit without cutting up the console. I have this thing with cutting up my original parts, so i'm currently in the market for a dark charcoal console.

5-13-07 Update: I've completed the new bezel with the DVD drive slot and installed the DVD drive. The dvd drive is located behind the radio bezel slot.

3. Mount the usb ports Status: Complete
I'll likely mount these somewhere on the replacement console when I get it.

5-13-07 Update: I've made a replacement for the coin holder that has a dual port USB receptical and two status LED's.

4. Mobile broadband Status: Completed
Nuff said.

8-30-06 Update: Mobile broadband up and running with the help of my new Sprint phone with EVDO connection and unlimited data plan. Basically uses the phone as a modem.

5. Setup the Voice control Status: Failure
Currently Bench testing this on my test system. Still need to buy a decent mic.
7-9-06 Update: Bench Testing complete. Mic and software are installed. Getting used to the way the system works.

8-30-06 Update: Well after some further trials, I have decided the voice control software is not ready for primetime. Conversations with passengers frequenlty cause the computer to think it heard the command to start listening. Voice activation is still young so we'll have to wait for it to mature. The work around would be to add a switch to cut the mic on/off. However by the time you press the button, issue the listen command, get a repsonce, issue the command for what you want done, you might as well have used the touch screen.

6. Makes some changes to the frontend skin Status: Complete
Getting rid of the TV icon as I won't be using TV. I'll likely replace it with a weather icon. Gotta find the .psd files for the skin though. The links were all dead.

7. Possibly integrate a laptop touchpad somewhere on the console Status: Incomplete

8. Find a small, possibly folding, keyboard for the times when needed. Status: Incomplete

9. Possibly add some hardwired buttons for track changes,volume, etc. Possibly steering wheel controls Status: Incomplete

10. Repaint the bezel Status: Incomplete
The paint I got from the 50resto did not match. I know it can only be so close, but it's pretty off.

added 8-30-06:
11. Setup Phone Control Software Status: In Progress
There's software named phone control that allows you to control your cell phone through your computer. Make and recieve calls, access the phone book, send text messages, etc..

I'm currently experimenting with this software, but with my particular phone, I can only take advantage of a limited amount of the software's capabilities. I can have incoming call notifications relayed to the computer so that visual and audible alerts are made by the computer. This is useful for when the stereo is turned up and you can't hear your phone ringing.

The software also allows for calls to be dialed from the in-dash touchscreen, but the call still takes place on the phone's mic and earpiece, so this isn't all that usefull. If you're using a bluetooth headset for your phone, this is somewhat usefull I suppose. Most of the software's features are useless for cell phones here in the U.S. since most carriers here use CDMA phones instead of GSM. The software offers much more for GSM phones because GSM phones adhear to standardized programming for actual "phone" features.

Current Bug List:
1. Turn-0n Pop through the speakers. Status: Not Addressed
Very common in car-audio. I need to build some kind of delay that keeps the amps from powering up before the computer is power up.

2. Low buzz from speakers. Status: Not Addressed
Most likely a ground loop. Will install ground loop isolator.

3. Improper shutdown Status: No longer an serious issue
As mentioned earlier. I'm looking into wiring the PS differently and also may contact the designer to see if a change could be made in a firmware upgrade to send the shutdown signal again after a minute or so.

4. Buggy Navigation Status: Not Addressed
I'm not sure if this is the software or the gps causing the problem. When the car is stopped, the software is constantly re-routing. Almost like its getting strange info from the gps. I know Iguidance 1 never did this to me, but I was also using a different gps because this was on my pda. I may load Iguidance 1 on the carputer to determine the problem. Gonna check some message boards as well.

5. Not ideal sound Status: Fixed
This could just be the factory system's fault. Lets face it, it's ok, but nothing great. May need to change out the inline crossovers I put in for the factory amps.

8-30-06 Update: Discovered the gains on the amp powering the factory high's was turned down. Go the tweeters turned up a bit and things sound much better

6. Screen Washout Status: Exploring Options
Not so much a bug, but is a problem. The screen is nearly impossible to see when the sun hits. Tinted windows may fix this, i've never been fan of tint though. There is a guy doing transflective upgrades, but the upgrade costs as much as I paid for the screen.

8-30-06 Update
7. Bezel Deterioration Status: Bezel Replaced
Well I guess it was inevitable. The monitor bezel is cracking away from the radio bezel. Against some of what I read, I used bondo during the fabrication of the bezel. Specifically I used bondo-glass which is bondo with fiberglass strands in it. I was informed this was better suited to what I was doing. However high temperatures from sitting in the sun appear to have had an effect on the bondo and the 2 bezels have begun to seperate slightly. I'm in the process now of acquiring a new bezel and redoing the monitor install all over.

5-13-07 Update: Bezel has been replaced with a newer design containing a DVD slot.

Now as you can see, I still have quite a bit to do and there are quite a few bugs. But putting PC's into cars is still not widespread and there really isn't any commercial support for such right now. But as the benefits become appearant, the market will expand to provide more. I see nothing but potential personally. The possibilities are virtually limitless. Was it worth it? To me, yes. But then I'm both a gadget freak and computer nerd. Is it for everyone? No, you have to have patience and be fairly computer proficient. Also, many people want nothing to do with the hassles involved. I have about $1300 into it, which is about what you're gonna spend, if not more, to get a kenwood/alpine/pioneer indash navigation system. To me the expandability of the computer simple kills these commercial indash systems. It was alot of work and there were alot of problems building this, and there are things I would probably do differenlty If I had it to do over, but I certainly don't regret any of it. If nothing else, the wow factor makes it all worthwhile. I look forward to seeing many more of these popping up in mustangs as there are already a few over at mp3car.com. I think i'm the only terminator at this point though. If anyone else is interested in a project like this, mp3car.com is a great resource, and i'll be happy to help any way I can. Thanks for looking. Without pictures this thread is pointless, so here ya go. More pictures to follow in the coming days.

-Kevin

Early construction on the factory mountaineer console trim:

Mounting the frame for the bezel
mountaineer1.jpg

Laying the fleece for fiberglassing
mountaineer2.jpg

After fiberglassing, some bondo, and some sanding
mountaineer3.jpg

Same as above, side shot
mountaineer4.jpg

After lots of work, primered. Still not done, just wanted to see what it was starting to look like. About another day's worth of work was left.
mountaineer5.jpg

Now it's time for the torch to be passed on to the Cobra:

Screen glued into place, ready for bondo work. No I didn't paint it red, it was like that when I got it off of ebay.
cobra_bezel1.jpg

Same as above, but reverse side.
cobra_bezel2.jpg

This shows the piece of plexiglass I put into to keep the shape of the bottom of the screen flat.
cobra_bezel3.jpg

Closeup on the screen
cobra_bezel4.jpg

After some bondo work and some sanding.
sanding1.jpg

Another shot of above.
sanding2.jpg

Just about done, primered.
primer1.jpg

Another primer shot.
primer2.jpg

Painted.

cobra_bezel5.jpg

The finished product:

Driver view
touchscreen1.jpg

Closeup
touchscreen2.jpg

Main Menu of the frontend software.
Main_Menu.jpg

Frontend running Iguidance Navigation Software.
Nav.jpg

Added 7-9-06

A couple pics of the case the motherboard is mounted in. Was really thrown together at the last minute due to space constraints. I had made a nice plexiglass case, but it turned out a tad bigger than would fit.
PCcase1.jpg

PCcase4.jpg

Pics of the original plexiglass case
clear_case1.jpg

clear_case2.jpg

5-13-07 Update

The new bezel with a slot for the DVD drive is completed and installed. I've also installed a replacement for the coin holder that contains a dual port USB receptical as well as status LED's. More info in post #57 of this thread.

Here's of the shot of the new bezel in place. I'm mostly happy with the way the DVD slot turned out. Needs a little adjusting still.
IMG_1329r.jpg

A shot of the coin holder usb ports.
IMG_1326r.jpg

Another shot of the coin holder usb ports.
IMG_1325r.jpg

7-20-07 Update:
Installed a Bulgin Power button in the shifter bezel in place of the 12V outlet. More info on Page 3.
IMG_1344r.jpg

IMG_1345r.jpg

IMG_1346r.jpg

Last edited:

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
DAMNNNN that looks really nice!!! GOOD JOB :thumbsup: looks like it came from the factory like that!!!

Last edited:

Homebrew

Established Member
Thanks for the compliments guys.

SALEENGTROUSH said:
DAMNNNN that looks really nice!!! GOOD JOB :thumbsup: looks like it came from the factory like that!!!

Thats exactly what I was going for. If I had it to do over again, I would try to make a one piece, removable unit. But I'm happy with how came it out.

Homebrew

Established Member
Fixed one of the pictures. The picture of the Main Menu wasn't showing up. Fixed now.

-Kevin

visions4

Established Member
thats what im talkin about!! looks clean.. very clean.. i like!

now can you do mine?! :-D

Homebrew

Established Member
Thanks for the compliment, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

-Kevin

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Congrats on a great job! The finished results look fantastic, as do the possibilities. :)

2kx2

Established Member
how does the computer tie into an external amplifier?

Last edited:

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Homebrew - I don't know if this will help but down here in Oz, the locally made Ford Falcon has an option for a full colour screen in the upper models in the dash. Ford in their infinite wisdom made the sound system integrated in the dash so there isn't one unit you can pull out and replace with aftermarket ICE.

Alpine are now marketing a plug in module that allows you to retain all of the factory stuff AND be able to add navigation, aftermarket amps and speakers, dvd, pretty much what ever you want which, if I understand what you're trying to do properly, is what you're aiming for.

If it's of any help, check out the Alpine site and click on Australia for more info.

Good luck with the project - it looks unbelievable and certainly some thing that suits the car perfectly!!

Oz

Homebrew

Established Member
alanw6 said:
Congrats on a great job! The finished results look fantastic, as do the possibilities. :)

Thanks for the compliment.

2kx2 said:
how does the computer tie into an external amplifier?

Well the computer soundcard outputs to a 1/8 jack. I have a 1/8 jack to dual rca adapter plugged into the sound card. As a result the sound card outputs to 2 rca's. From there I split the RCA's again so I have 4 rca's. From there, 2 rca's go to the amp I have powering the factory tweeters. The other 2 rca's go into a metra harness that connects to the factory woofer/mid amps. Voila! Sound to all the amps.

OZ Dude said:
Homebrew - I don't know if this will help but down here in Oz, the locally made Ford Falcon has an option for a full colour screen in the upper models in the dash. Ford in their infinite wisdom made the sound system integrated in the dash so there isn't one unit you can pull out and replace with aftermarket ICE.

Alpine are now marketing a plug in module that allows you to retain all of the factory stuff AND be able to add navigation, aftermarket amps and speakers, dvd, pretty much what ever you want which, if I understand what you're trying to do properly, is what you're aiming for.

If it's of any help, check out the Alpine site and click on Australia for more info.

Good luck with the project - it looks unbelievable and certainly some thing that suits the car perfectly!!

Oz

Actually I just meant that I would have made the computer and screen all one unit, like a typical head unit. More like the kenwood indash touchscreen (not the motorized one, the double din one with the screen thats always there). However what you're talking about sounds pretty interesting. Something I'll have to check out as I'm always looking for things to make installation easier.

-Kevin

Homebrew

Established Member
I've got about $1300 in it I believe. I'm gonna sit down one day soon and add it up. It could be done for under a $1000 if you try hard enough. I still have a few things to add that will raise the cost though. For instance, I'm still waiting on the amplified version of the HQCT radio turner discussed at mp3car.com to be released. The unamplified version has been released, but they say it will be a few more months for the amplified version.

-Kevin

Homebrew

Established Member
Thanks. Yesterday I picked up what should be a better microphone than the one I've been using for bench testing. I'm gonna work on dissassembling it and installing it in the car this weekend. If i'm finished bench testing and setting up the voice control software, then I'll upload that to the car this weekend as well. I'm also in talks to get another center console. So if that goes well, I can install the dvd-rw drive and usb ports soon. Might even get a little crazy with it since I'll still have the original console to put back in should I wish to go back.

-Kevin

Homebrew

Established Member
Added pics of the "case" the motherboard is in. Not really a case though, only has a bottom and 3 sides. More of a mounting shelf I guess. It was thrown together last minute because of size constraints in the dash. My original plexiglass case wouldn't quite fit, so I switched to 1/8" aluminum. I ended up not doing a top for the aluminum case simply because I couldn't the do the fan and heastink vents as nicely as I did on the plexiglass. Was so irritated by that, that I just decided to go without one. It never really gets seen anyway.

I also installed the mircophone and speech input software this weekend. Not as great as I hoped it would be, but it should serve it's purpose. Little things just irk me about it. The way it works is you speak a word you choose( chose kitt from knight rider :D ), that tells the computer to start listening. The computer responds with a response of your choice and then you have to issue the command for what you want it to do. Next track, previous track, volume up, volume down, gps, etc.. However you have to wait a sec after the computer responds before issuing the command for what you want it to do. So for me, it works like this:

Me: Kitt
Computer: Yes? (music pauses at this time)

Pause a second

Me: Next track
Track changes and music resumes

The pause can be a little tricky. Just something I'll have to get used to I guess. Will be an interesting feature though.

-Kevin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread