Custom LED shift light

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Well just using the stock shift light and Ngauge lights weren’t enough for me on bright sunny days at the track. I always tend to over rev because of it. I have an N2MB wotbox in my glove box so I figured I would save fix my problem and save some money at the same time. I have a serial plug and bought a pack of cheap red 12” LED strips.

They are pretty damn bright, but when they are not on its hardly noticeable, especially when my phones in the holder.

Attachments

• E7F502AA-A98B-4ECA-8391-6274BAA71C1D.jpeg
    E7F502AA-A98B-4ECA-8391-6274BAA71C1D.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 82

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Well just using the stock shift light and Ngauge lights weren’t enough for me on bright sunny days at the track. I always tend to over rev because of it. I have an N2MB wotbox in my glove box so I figured I would save fix my problem and save some money at the same time. I have a serial plug and bought a pack of cheap red 12” LED strips.

They are pretty damn bright, but when they are not on its hardly noticeable, especially when my phones in the holder.

Thats a killer set up man.

merkyworks

Established Member
Like your idea!

So you enabled the shift light option in the software and entered your desired RPM. Took apart an extra serial cable, isolated the two wires that correlate to terminal #6 and #2 pins. Then soldered the LED strip positive and negative wires to serial point cable #6 and #2 wire. Now when your RPM's hit the shift point set point the serial port outputs a voltage and lights up the LED strip. Am I understanding correctly how this works/you did this?

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Like your idea!

So you enabled the shift light option in the software and entered your desired RPM. Took apart an extra serial cable, isolated the two wires that correlate to terminal #6 and #2 pins. Then soldered the LED strip positive and negative wires to serial point cable #6 and #2 wire. Now when your RPM's hit the shift point set point the serial port outputs a voltage and lights up the LED strip. Am I understanding correctly how this works/you did this?

Exactly! Pretty damn simple.

tvspower

Established Member

Great idea. boy o boy
I'm going to try your idea under the cowl hood,

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 68

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That will be cool, inside the cowl hood.
Like a real heads up display :)
Just make it bright enough.
-J

Willie

Established Member
Are you sure you have enough red LED's, lol??

I put mine together about three years ago. One big blue LED, front and center does the trick for me. It is also triggered by the WOT box.

Instrument Cluster 01a.jpg

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Great idea. boy o boy
I'm going to try your idea under the cowl hood,

Thanks, yes that should work well!

Are you sure you have enough red LED's, lol??

I put mine together about three years ago. One big blue LED, front and center does the trick for me. It is also triggered by the WOT box.

View attachment 1584093

Haha, now I really have no excuse that I couldn’t see the Light! Nice it looks good!

tvspower

Established Member
That will be cool, inside the cowl hood.
Like a real heads up display :)
Just make it bright enough.
-J
Thxs. I chose white led to light up engine( nitetime)
To bright purple at 5k rpmn instantly blinking red at 6k.
Also have independent shit light on left side dash.
Now to do it all......

merkyworks

Established Member
Thxs. I chose white led to light up engine( nitetime)
To bright purple at 5k rpmn instantly blinking red at 6k.
Also have independent shit light on left side dash.
Now to do it all......

How are you achieving RPM characteristics with multiple colors and solid to blinking effect?

tvspower

Established Member
will try a stand alone controller multi connector
Multiple lines to controller w/ main to stock rpm sensor ...each connect is a different colour
as rpm rises, each contact will trigger the different colour...based on revs
Being able to set a reaction from shift light at any rev,
A switch in car will allow for off/on during day/night
Am I making any sense?????

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Would tying in the wiring to an already mounted aftermarket shift light already on the post work ? I seldom see it at 3/4" D ...off to my left. But I would see those LED's if they were tied to my shift light !

merkyworks

Established Member
will try a stand alone controller multi connector
Multiple lines to controller w/ main to stock rpm sensor ...each connect is a different colour
as rpm rises, each contact will trigger the different colour...based on revs
Being able to set a reaction from shift light at any rev,
A switch in car will allow for off/on during day/night
Am I making any sense?????

Makes since, just sounds like a lot. I was hoping there was something built into the N2MB box that allowed this.

Users who are viewing this thread